Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice needed on external 3G/4G antenna

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45 gearoid!

grimeire wrote: »
    Hi all,

I recently got a 4g aerial and set it up. The problem is that I was expecting a far better improvement in speed. I am about 0.5Km from the mast using a E5186.
    here is the aerial i got.
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Theta-Mobile-Broadband-Antenna-Aerial-Booster-4G-LTE-MIMO/392308894048?hash=item5b576ea960:g:5esAAOSwfx9c9Yjt

I was getting about 10-25 down and 5-12 up during peak times but now I am getting about 10-25 down and 20-40 up at peak times. While it does seem a lot more stable as before the connection was up and down now it is pretty consistent but still was expecting higher speeds.

When configuring the aerial is there some thing we can use to confirm the position is optimal area to pick up the signal from the mast. When setting up the aerial I just pointed it in the general direction of the mast.

Thanks

Can you please mention what network you're on and location?

With regard to the ebay aerial, the product description has discrepancy, where it says...
    This aerial is suitable for frequencies of 1800Mhz and above; so so good for LTE 800.

LTE800 runs on 800 frequency band, while LTE1800 on 1800MHz frequency bands, and lastly LTE2700. So, there might be some issues here.

In case the mast you're connected to is both throwing you 1800MHz and 800MHz, then you're in luck, you can still use the aerial properly.

So I suggest that you angle the aerial a bit away from the mast instead of straight to it. You're too close to the mast, so you might need to do this. I don't remember the tech term, but installers sometimes do this.

You can monitor the signal by logging in to your modem's admin dashboard, from your mobile phone. Then slow rotate the aerial from left to right, inch by inch, every 5 seconds, while keeping an eye on the RSRP, RSSI, SINR. They are in negative (-) value, so the closer they are to zero, the better.

If all else fails, then maybe you need a better quality antenna. You can buy a European made arial like the XPOL-2 LTE MiMo antenna.

If interested, google search:
    novatel xpol-2 lte antenna

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,170 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

The one you linked looks used/display unit - clamp nut marks visible on steel bracket.
    Judging by image, i got (some time ago, but still in use) same/similar areal.
    Not claiming its best on market, but it does the job - it covers required bands.

Are you sure you are connecting to "that" mast and that "that" mast belongs to your ISP?
    Can you confirm that "that" mast is 4G capable?
    Can you confirm your modem is connecting 4G - 25Mbps down fits under 3G limit and is steady if i set my modem to "3G only" mode.

Speed is just what ISP provides, shared to all customers - with antenna you might have/achieve best available signal, but congestion is congestion, regardless what your expectations are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 394 ✭✭grimeire

gearoid! wrote: »
    Can you please mention what network you're on and location?

With regard to the ebay aerial, the product description has discrepancy, where it says...

It can receive all frequencies, The one i linked to is the same model one but from another seller. I was unable to find the actual listing I bought as I got it before Christmas but never had the time to fit it.

The one you linked looks used/display unit - clamp nut marks visible on steel bracket.
    Judging by image, i got (some time ago, but still in use) same/similar areal.
    Not claiming its best on market, but it does the job - it covers required bands.

Are you sure you are connecting to "that" mast and that "that" mast belongs to your ISP?
    Can you confirm that "that" mast is 4G capable?
    Can you confirm your modem is connecting 4G - 25Mbps down fits under 3G limit and is steady if i set my modem to "3G only" mode.

Speed is just what ISP provides, shared to all customers - with antenna you might have/achieve best available signal, but congestion is congestion, regardless what your expectations are.

The one in the link you provided is the one I purchased and it is from the same seller.

I am with 3 mobile, like many here and from what I could find the mast is being used by 3 mobile.

Location cork and the mast is CK0541. I just seen it only transmits GSM. :mad::mad: I can not believe I did not see that.

Router says 4G signal is being received. I am aware of the congestion but was hoping to get some bit of an increase during peak times. as I get up to 60 down in offpeak times before fitting the aerial.

How can i discover which mast I am receiving the signal from?

You try looking in your router admin dashboard. Go to Signal Status and find CELL ID.

Then look that up on comreg.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭Gooser14

grimeire wrote:

Download the Network Signal Info app. This app will give useful info as to the mast in use.

• Advertisement

grimeire wrote: »
    Location cork and the mast is CK0541. I just seen it only transmits GSM. :mad::mad: I can not believe I did not see that.

Router says 4G signal is being received. I am aware of the congestion but was hoping to get some bit of an increase during peak times. as I get up to 60 down in offpeak times before fitting the aerial.

See https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057916642 , some tips might be handy for you.

Cell mapper has no info about your area, so it will be up to yourself to map it, unless some one in your area could do it for you, i see south side is somewhat covered - ask for it and someone might reply.
    You try looking in your router admin dashboard. Go to Signal Status and find CELL ID.

Then look that up on comreg.
    Can't remember if E5186 have ability to show cell ID or signal data (RSRQ, RSRP, SINR), but even if it does it wont match SITE ID given on ComReg .

Shot below show your nearest LTE capable masts (CK0009, CK0044) - try direct your antenna that way, also - ComReg could be outdated.
    I have done without Cell Mapper assistance and was able to achieve "good" results, however, tuning is "labor intensive". Another thing, your situation is different as area is well populated.

482471.JPG

It appears that the router does provide the signal data (RSRQ, RSRP, SINR) in Settings > System > device info and it looks like all except SINR: are poor from ED E chart

Thanks @smuggler.ie using the chart in the linked you provided i will try to get the aerial pointing towards the mast to the left of the image you provided today and let ye know the result. It also looks like the cell ID does not match any in the comreg site.

here is the info in case anyone is curious.
    Device name:	E5186s-22a
    My number:	Unknown
    Hardware version:	CL1E5175HM
    Software version:	21.310.01.00.07
    Web UI version:	16.100.02.00.03
    MAC Address:	<redated>
    WAN IP Address:	<redated>
    WAN IPv6 Address:	Unknown
    PCI:	204
    CELL_ID:	101888
    RSRQ:	-9dB
    RSRP:	-94dBm
    RSSI:	-61dBm
    SINR:	3dB
    Band:	3

Cell ID(from router log) vs Site ID (ComReg)
    Site contains multiple cells

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

The PCI/SCI and eNB data that devices see and the references listed on Siteviewer are totally independent. Its one of several reasons to use Cellmapper if you can (rooted).

Out of the signal data vaules (RSRQ, RSRP, SINR) which is the most important?

I pointed the aerial in the direction of the left Mast(smuggler picture) as that is the side of the house the aerial is on and i am not getting much a of a difference in the values and am getting the same speeds. I thought the values would be well within the excellent range in the chart.

I was messing about with the direction and checking the status on my phone while accessing the router and was getting improved signal data results but after spending 30 mins moving the aerial the results aren't much better and fluctuate a lot.

Also i checked cell mapper and they have no reference to the 2 masts that are closest to me.

here is what I am currently getting.

RSRQ: -9dB
    RSRP: -99dBm
    RSSI: -67dBm
    SINR: 2dB

on one refresh of the page i was getting RSRQ: -4 and RSRP: around 80 which are in the excellent range from ED E graph. but another refresh without moving the aerial is RSRQ: -13 and RSRP: around >100. Is that much of a fluctuation normal?

Any idea without taking into account objects in the line of sight what the best signal data i could hope to achieve is at around 1.2km from the mast.

• Advertisement

Does anyone can comment, how much (if at all) interference/noise high voltage lines (actually three individual rails ) could have on signal, especially if mobile mast is at similar height and LOS to mast is @35 degree angle?

482560.JPG

on one refresh of the page i was getting RSRQ: -4 and RSRP: around 80 which are in the excellent range from ED E graph. but another refresh without moving the aerial is RSRQ: -13 and RSRP: around >100. Is that much of a fluctuation normal?

> I had similar issue before, got it solved by replacing the aerial. Turned out the old aerial was faulty.

> I had similar issue before, got it solved by replacing the aerial. Turned out the old aerial was faulty.

thats the last thing I wanted to hear.

Since moving the aerial to point towards the Mast the speed at times is shocking not event getting 1Mb DL at times.

going to connect the router to the aerial directly and check the signal for each mast.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 966 ✭✭✭heffo500

Hi

Great thread, so helpful.

I currently have Eir Broadband maxing at 1.8mb.

I plan on getting up on my ladder where I plan putting the aerial with the phone and do a speed test with multiple providers to see which is best.

If the speed test on the phone is better than DSL I will proceed with installing an aerial and buying the router.

Can anyone advise is this a sensible approach to take?

Is Dipol the cheapest place to buy the aerial and cable?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Ultimanemo

heffo500 wrote: »
    I plan on getting up on my ladder

The only advice I have is be careful with the ladder. I have seen many people got badly hurt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Hi

Great thread, so helpful.

I currently have Eir Broadband maxing at 1.8mb.

I plan on getting up on my ladder where I plan putting the aerial with the phone and do a speed test with multiple providers to see which is best.

If the speed test on the phone is better than DSL I will proceed with installing an aerial and buying the router.

Is Dipol the cheapest place to buy the aerial and cable?

Thanks

Don't forget that 1.8 mbps is probably fairly constant. Its slow by modern standards but it may be better than some MBB so test at peak times if you are thinking of getting ride of the fixed line. Even if you get good results then if others in your area get the same idea your MBB speeds can only get worse.

my3cents wrote: »
    Don't forget that 1.8 mbps is probably fairly constant. Its slow by modern standards but it may be better than some MBB so test at peak times if you are thinking of getting ride of the fixed line. Even if you get good results then if others in your area get the same idea your MBB speeds can only get worse.

Thanks for the feedback, I tested with an Eir sim card while on the ladder and was getting speeds of 14mb/s download speed at 8 this evening.

Would this be considered peak time?

I plan to purchase the below now:

http://www.atcsupplies.ie/product.php?id=002979 TRANS-DATA LTE KYZ 10/10 MIMO 4G/3G/GSM Antenna

http://www.atcsupplies.ie/product.php?id=002799 Huawei B525

Anyone used these before?

Peak would be 10-11PM with dusk currently being so late and the weather fine.

"Log in to view prices" = you're being ripped off in many instances. There might be something to be said for supporting a higher c-agg if you plan on keeping it a while and are not totally in the sticks (within 5k of a market town). B715 is a CAT9 device which if a cell gets upgraded can smooth out the peaks and troughs of high demand.

ED E wrote: »
    Peak would be 10-11PM with dusk currently being so late and the weather fine.

"Log in to view prices" = you're being ripped off in many instances. There might be something to be said for supporting a higher c-agg if you plan on keeping it a while and are not totally in the sticks (within 5k of a market town). B715 is a CAT9 device which if a cell gets upgraded can smooth out the peaks and troughs of high demand.

I'll try again at that time so.

The aerial is €76.5675 inc vat from them. I see its cheaper on Dipol but I'm not sure if it is cheaper when including delivery.

I live in Dublin so probably worth buying the better aerial?

The B525 is €156.21 inc vat so that's about the amazon price. B715 seems a lot more expensive...

It is, but it can use 4x cell towers at once. In Ballygobackwards there is only 1-2 cells in an area so not much use but in Dublin there are sites with six. This is where it can be an advantage.

Depends on how long you intend to use the system.

• Advertisement

Hi

Thanks for the feedback so far, I did some more testing this evening and I attached the results.

I'm pretty happy with the results compared to what I currently have.

Can I expect it to improve with the aerial or stay constant?

I installed the aerial this evening and the results are excellent using a vodafone sim card I'm getting excellent results compared to my 2mb Eir connection:

7qGN0U8

Thanks all for the advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

I installed the aerial this evening and the results are excellent using a vodafone sim card I'm getting excellent results compared to my 2mb Eir connection:

7qGN0U8

Thanks all for the advice.

Using 3 sim for my antenna but I know I would get way better speeds with vf, just wondering what data you get with them?

Hococop wrote: »
    Using 3 sim for my antenna but I know I would get way better speeds with vf, just wondering what data you get with them?

I was getting around 70mb dl at 8:30 last night and it varied at times from 50mb to 70mb but mostly around 70mb.

I do live in a valley so I have no clear line of sight so I'd say that impacts my speed too. I'm going to aim the aerials more accurate tomorrow, I'll let you know if this makes a difference.

I was getting around 70mb dl at 8:30 last night and it varied at times from 50mb to 70mb but mostly around 70mb.

I do live in a valley so I have no clear line of sight so I'd say that impacts my speed too. I'm going to aim the aerials more accurate tomorrow, I'll let you know if this makes a difference.

Cheers also what deal you get with vf, they normally don't do unlimited so what is your cap?

• Registered Users Posts: 28 StephenOT

Gonna try this on the weekend. Can you explain how you went about testing with multiple providers. I'm on Vodafone but the nearest masts to me are three and eir so id like to test their speeds ideally. Any other tips would be appreciated.

StephenOT wrote: »
    Gonna try this on the weekend. Can you explain how you went about testing with multiple providers. I'm on Vodafone but the nearest masts to me are three and eir so id like to test their speeds ideally. Any other tips would be appreciated.

I literally went up the extension ladder to the peak and pointed the phone until the signal was best. I then ran the speed test app. I did this three times for each provider. I also did it a few times in the evening to ensure I did the test when there was peak demand.

Then it was a case of repeating the above with the different sim cards.

Also I made sure to get someone to hold the ladder as I was quite high up to see over the end gable of the house.

Hococop wrote: »
    Cheers also what deal you get with vf, they normally don't do unlimited so what is your cap?

I current have just got the 20gb for €20 deal and set my Huawei router to a limit of 20gb so I'll try gauge my usage.

I also went into my playback settings on Netflix and limited my playback to 720p as the full HD eats a lot of data and I can live without 1080p

I plan probably to go with the Vodafone €45 a month 150gb but I want to estimate my usage first. I'm also considering trying Three too

I current have just got the 20gb for €20 deal and set my Huawei router to a limit of 20gb so I'll try gauge my usage.

I also went into my playback settings on Netflix and limited my playback to 720p as the full HD eats a lot of data and I can live without 1080p

I plan probably to go with the Vodafone €45 a month 150gb but I want to estimate my usage first. I'm also considering trying Three too

Yeah that's the killer, that data be no good to me, ( I do alot of gaming and some downloads could be up to 100gb

• Advertisement

set my Huawei router to a limit of 20gb so I'll try gauge my usage
    Data usage counter on router will/might not match usage counted by ISP due to dropped packets - you might easily go above cap and get charged.

Advertisement