Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog won't sleep indoors..

• 22-11-2013 11:43pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭

We've a springer spaniel, just gone two years.. Up until about a month or two ago she slept indoors.. 90% of the time in her crate. Then slowly she wanted to stay out the back.. This would happen maybe one/ two nights a week and then it became one/ two nights that she'd sleep indoors... Now she just stays out near enough 24/7. She's rarely in the house, not that we don't let her in.. She just won't stay in. If we leave her in at night she just keeps barking..

I'm just worried with the weather getting so cold what the best thing to do is.. She has a kennel with bedding that's well shaded, was thinking of getting a heater for it if she won't sleep indoors..

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭Boombastic

I'm not sure what type of a heater wouldn't be a fire hazard,maybe someone else can advise on that. I wouldn't be too worried, she has the kennel and if she seems comfortable and happy sleeping outside, I would let her ( I would feel bad on these really cold nights and try and persuade her to stay in) but if shes happy.. just make her kennel as comfortable as possible, no direct wind...you could get a sheepskin rug or something?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,250 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

I wouldn't overly worry about it tbh. I have a Norwegian Elkhound that prefers to stay outside at night. Some dogs just do.

You may actually find that now its colder your heating is kicking in more and inside is too warm for your dog.

I also know plenty of people with Springers that stay outside 24 hours a day 365 days a year and it hasn't adversely effected them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

Thanks for the replies, have the kennel lined with vet blanket (think that's what it's called, like fake sheepskin), it's in a shared area of the garden.. No wind/rain gets in.

I'll see how she gets on.. Maybe she'll change her mind when it gets really cold!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭TooManyDogs

My old collie was like that when she was younger, just wouldn't stay inside at night. We got her a waterproof bed in her kennel and put the kennel in a sheltered place and just let her at it. Mind you in her old age she's decided that unless she's in a mind to escape and wander that she'd rather not bother leaving the house at all.
    You can get microwaveable pads for pets, you microwave them for a few minutes and they give off heat for hours.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

You can get microwaveable pads for pets, you microwave them for a few minutes and they give off heat for hours.

Snugglesafe heat pads! They're fab, and very safe. And on special offer on zooplus right now!

• Advertisement
Advertisement