Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Diet recommendation for over weight cat?

• 23-11-2013 12:18am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭

Hi all, as the title suggests one of my cats (Beau) is pretty over weight. Since the summer I've been feeding him less and less so it wouldn't be a shock to his system but the weight hasn't budged at all. He has little fat rolls on his hips and legs when he sits down. He's a really tall cat, much taller than my jack Russell. My jack Russell is 7KG so Beau has to be at least 10kg.

He doesn't really play games and if he does he lies down to play them :o I had him on select golds weight management dry kibble but it didn't do anything for him. Can anyone recommend a different diet food? I have another two year old tiny female cat who is normal weight so something for both would be great. Any advice is welcome !

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

Both of mine lost a little weight on applaws, I find little and often is best to keep weight down, mine eat too much when hungry and given a bowl of food.
    While they lost a little weight they both look in great condition and the oldest is even a bit more lively, they love the chicken applaws, won't eat the salmon.
    I feed a little wet food too, try a good cereal free one and add some water, this gives extra fluids and helps fill them up.
    Even lying down playing will use up some energy, I know it's hard, but keep it up, it takes a long time with cats.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭SingItOut

Thank you, I'll definitely give it a try. Beau definitely isn't fussy with his food so I'm sure the salmon flavour will go down a treat :) I give both of mine wet too as neither of them drink that much water and milk is a huge no no

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

I would say number one, check the bag for his guideline daily amount and calculate it using his ideal, target weight as opposed to his current weight. Measure the amount out into a cup each morning and only feed him that. Did a bit of research a while back and the Hills' Science Plan Light had the lowest fat content of all the different companies' light cat food varieties. My auntie's cat loves it.

The other thing I'd suggest is to get him moving a little more. As he loses weight he will have more energy and will interact with toys more, but start now. Da Bird is just about the best cat toy known to man - find it on ebay. And the food dispensing balls are absolutely brilliant - the cat has to paw the ball to release the food. I have two foster cats who are indoor-only so a friend gave me some of these treat dispensers for them, just to give them something to do. They took to them straight away!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,474 ✭✭✭✭Alun

We got given out to by our vet last year when we took our two in for their annual boosters because of their weight. They got put on Royal Canin "Obesity Management" and that really shifted the weight. I think the secret is to have a low calorie, low fat food that also has to make the cat feel full (to stop them driving you mad!), and also has to provide all the necessary nutrients. The weight just fell off them and they lost 2kg in about 5 months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭SingItOut

When he was sick last Christmas the vet made a few remarks on his weight :o I got him royal canins appetite control (he's constantly begging! Worse than the dog!) on Saturday so we'll see how he gets on on that. I went for the appetite control so that the other cat can eat it too. They both like it, no surprises there, so hopefully it helps him out and gets the vet off my back :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement