Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Monies paid and receipts received

Options
  • 23-11-2013 1:14am
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,307 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi' o/.
    Question about monies paid and receipts received wrt pre-orders.

It has come to my attention that xtra-vision a certain business has accepted payment from individuals and issued receipts for said payment of gaming consoles.

However when the xbox one was released on friday, they would not give people their consoles that they pre-paid for unless they also bought a game or console accessory.

It was my understanding that once a company accepted payment and issued a receipt that a contract was entered into(please correct me if I'm wrong).
    There is nothing on the receipt nor was anyone advised about buying anything extra in order to receive their console.

What should anyone in that situation have done?

Thanks in advance for answering my query.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭Bepolite

Even if a contract is entered into, which would be subject to any terms and conditions, probably available on their website, contracts can and are frequently broken. The damages available would probably only be what was paid for the console and I'm sure they were happy to issue a refund. That is the legal position (probably, don't rely on the internet for legal advice).

The retailer position is that they are probably making very little profit on the machine and the customer is going to have a to buy a game for the thing anyway so why not enter into some 'gentle' persuasion - given the fact that they weren't going to be able to spend more than 30 seconds with each customer they brought in a blanket policy. To be fair this probably started off benignly enough and ended up in the hands of store managers who had to make a decision on the front line from an instruction handed down from some muppet in an office who has probably never handled a console launch.

From the customers point of view - get on to every social media out let going (not here) and shout it from the roof tops. Frankly most of the bricks and mortars have only been hanging on for this launch, thy'll be another round of shut downs in a year or so.

Next round of PS ans Xbox games will be near the €100 mark. No one believed me when I said this the last time, lo and behold the debacle with this gen of consoles and EA only distributing PC games trough Origin - at mental prices.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭Bepolite

F1ngers wrote: »
    What should anyone in that situation have done?

Sorry I didn't answer this. Bought the console with an extra contoller, you always need one. If that wasn't an option any game and the exchanged it for the one their sp**k-sprout actually wanted when they had that info.

Advertisement