Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should I go to TCD or NUIM (Computer Science)

Options
  • 23-11-2013 1:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 19

Really stuck between these two colleges. I want to do Computer Science in either NUI Maynooth or Trinity College. The points for NUIM are 405 and TCD are 460 which are both okay. I like both colleges reasonably well. I like Maynooth because its friendly,homely,and they're building a new Computer Science dept. and the Library is really nice too . Then I like Trinity cause it has the best Computer Science course in Ireland according to that QS university thing and then I also like it because its in the centre of Dublin which is great because I love the city. The downside of Trinity is I'm just afraid it'll be abit snobby ? and also my sister is in Maynooth which is good but then I would like to go on my own too. So I'm really stuck, Any comments welcome

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭wiz569

I'm well past college going age so no direct personal advice I'm afraid,but my daughter just graduated from TCD and we are not from a snobby background nor would we be considered even middle class,but she loved it and did not come across any kind of snobbery either conscious or sub conscious :)

The only advice she would probably give you is chose the one that's closer to home,makes it easier to get in early to bag a seat and study books in the library come exam time,

Best of luck with your future regardless of where you chose,and above all enjoy it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Lawliet

Then I like Trinity cause it has the best Computer Science course in Ireland according to that QS university thing
    I'd ignore rankings tbh they don't really mean anything, these rankings fluctuate all the time it doesn't mean the undergrad course is getting better or worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭stealinhorses

If the only downside is that Trinity is seen as "snobby", then you should go to Trinity. If you're interested in computer science, you will do well no matter what college you go to, because a lot of it is coding etc. on your own time. Having Trinity on your CV will always look better than having Maynooth and there's always the chance to get schols/entrance exhibition/etc to sweeten up your college life.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭sganyfx

Stealinhorses pretty much nailed it. Trinity just offers you so much more than Maynooth. Trinity is not like going to Eton, will you encounter a few snobby rich kids, probably (not nearly as bad and removed from your "average person" as people as people would have you believe), but in general most people are just what you would get from anywhere else. Trinity constantly has careers events on and such, especially in the CS industries.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭shanefitz360

I've done the CS course in Trinity and it isn't at all snobby. I choose Trinity ahead of Maynooth purely because Trinity looks better on the CV, especially on the international stage. From having talked to others in Maynooth, DCU, UCD etc., there doesn't seem to be a consensus which is the best course. Trinity is a little more broad (introductory hardware courses, very low level stuff) that I don't think appears in the Maynooth course, so you aren't pigeon-holed to purely software development.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19 davidmaguire_

Thanks for all the help, getting a good image of Trinity anyway, so there's a good chance I'll go there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

If you think you will ever work abroad, than TCD is a no brainer(you probably will work abroad with that degree). TCD is known world wide, where as outside of Ireland no one probably has heard of NUIM. The BLU library in TCD is excellent. The Usher is basically new and is extremely quite (unlike the NUIM so I have heard). TCD has excellent links with employers.

There is no snobbery in TCD at all. Like there is people you never think we speak to other because of their backgrounds dating. There is a surprising large amount of Non-Dubliners compared to DCU. Plus TCD is in the middle of the city so there is always something to do and of course will be easier to find a job. Plus anyone I have met in TCD is friendly. I have yet to her of people hating each other and Im 10 weeks into my course. Everyone in TCD is nice and friendly.

Where as NUIM has like 1/2 nightclubs beside it. In the middle of the countryside basically and is in a small town. I visited the campus a few times and I wasnt impressed. It was a bit all over the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 MooingDinosaur

I'm from Maynooth and in first year CS in TCD. I haven't met anybody who feels superior for going here. The arts side of the campus can be a little pretentious, but you'll find it just the same in Maynooth. I know people doing CS in Maynooth as well. They're doing essentially a Science course during the first year, so there is just as much focus on biology as computer science. Nightlife is great for both if your on campus. Nothing beats a night in the roost. Take a look at Computational Thinking in Maynooth. Its very intensive but probably the best in Ireland, if you can get the points and the B1 in higher level maths:)

• Registered Users Posts: 19 davidmaguire_

Yeah I actually had Computational Thinking down as my first choice on CAO but the getting a HB1 in Maths is quite slim in my case , I aiming for a B3 if I can even get that.

Advertisement