Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

should I get paid for taking course?

Options
  • 23-11-2013 3:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

My boss is making me sit in on a haacp course for work even though I don't work in the kitchen but thinks that because I'm a front of house supervisor, I should know what's expected from the kitchen, etc.

It's scheduled for my day off next week and while the company is paying for us to take the actual course, are we required to essentially give up 9 hours of our time for free?

None of this is mentioned in the contract but the head chef says he's not putting it on his time sheet.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,673 ✭✭✭mahamageehad

I would definitely put it on your time sheet.
    If the only reason you're taking the course is because work require it then I think it's part of your work duties and you're entitled to be paid for it.
    I have always been paid for any training I had to do in work.
    The fact that they are paying for the course is irrelevant, if they require it they should be paying for it and paying you to do it.

Advertisement