Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What to buy for kids at xmas ???

Options
  • 23-11-2013 3:43am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭

Hi all ,

Any Advice as to what i can buy the kids at xmas , what,s going around my head at the minute is (And may i add its going around my head cause kids have me demented about it :rolleyes:)

wait for it !!! ipad , ipad mini , samsung chromebook , acer c7 , kindle fire HD , galaxy tablet , android ,, help my heading is exploding :(:(

I remember my calculator watch wow them where the days :D:D

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 52 ✭✭dutcher

Definitely Android tablet, there's good Android tablets going for 100 or less these days on the net. Bargain alert forum has ones going for 21 euro with a decent spec

• Registered Users Posts: 5,687 ✭✭✭Danger781

Android tablet is probably the best bet :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

What's the budget and what size are they looking for and what will they be used for?

There's a big range of affordable android tablets in the 7" to 10" range with decent specs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭tfromkerry

Hi all

Budget i am thinking is €500 to get both , one wants a ipad and 2nd wants a netbook

Can anyone give names of the one,s ye think are best

They will be used for FB , you tube and games

• Site Banned Posts: 52 ✭✭dutcher

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Quad-Core-Processor-Onboard-Storage-Android/dp/B00923G46U/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1385234936&sr=8-2&keywords=nexus

For apple your just paying for the name and this is a great tablet.

Also these are good for the 300 mark. I think the keyboard comes with them but might want to double check that if you want to get both the same thing.

http://www.dell.com/ie/p/dell-venue-8-pro/pd?c=ie&cs=iedhs1&l=en&s=dhs&dgc=IR&cid=Q4W3_Venue8Pro&lid=Full_Width_P_country_homepage:_R_1_C_1_T_3&ref=hp3

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭wil

tfromkerry wrote: »
    Hi all ,

Any Advice as to what i can buy the kids at xmas , what,s going around my head at the minute is (And may i add its going around my head cause kids have me demented about it :rolleyes:)

wait for it !!! ipad , ipad mini , samsung chromebook , acer c7 , kindle fire HD , galaxy tablet , android ,, help my heading is exploding :(:(

I remember my calculator watch wow them where the days :D:D
    You never said what ages or what sort of budget and just how good or naughty the kids have been:D

iPads are good, work well and always acceptable but a premium price,
    Android tablets are best value for your budget, but beware of poor quality ones. I tried some of the budget ones in shop and some of the cheapest ones are cheap for a reason - they felt almost unusable, if not completely rubbish.
    Check reviews and try them out if possible. 7 inch androids are good value - 100 to 200 mark - Samsung, and Google nexus get good reviews. With cloud storage, capacity is not as big a concern, sd card slots are handy but not essential for most users.

Also are they meant to be for educational school use or entertainment?

Chromebooks pretty much need permanent internet connection so more limited, Kindle Fires are a bit more proprietary tied in to Amazon than standard android tablets

So I take it they haven't been bothering you about xbox/ps4 ;)

Not yet over the xbox/ps4 lol , and they are both girls and 11 and 9 . they will be using them for entertainment value .

I want to get them something of worth and long lasting value,s ( dont want to waste my money ) there mother got them some tablets last year and not worth the box they were in .

I will need name,s of the items rather than android as there is many out there . and one have a opinion on the samsung chromebook

iPad minis are nice, have one for general use, much easier to carry around than the full size ipad, yet screen is bigger than most 7 inch tablets with the 4:3 shape. Best price is 249 for refurbished.
    Ipad mini retinas are in short supply and more expensive and tbh the premium of the retina screen is somewhat wasted on kids
    I am not as keen on the elongated Nexus, seems much smaller than ipad mini.
    The new Samsung tab 3 7inch is nice, and seems good value around 190.
    But then android is becoming as security lax as Windows.

netbooks are largely replaced by tablets, if you are looking for Windows ultraportable types, prices are a bit higher, might be worth looking at low end w8 laptop - if kids are not chasing the latest games almost any current laptop is well capable of general use. They may be able to quote brands and specs but have little comprehension of the relevance to their browsing/facebooking/utubing - almost none.
    The only people who should be chasing top specs are those paying for them or using them in business and thus earning from them.
    Chromebooks are essentially low spec cloud reliant terminals and there is some interest in them from educational establishments. When it comes to school/college and business - keyboard is still king. Don't think they come with touch as standard.

For ease of use, immediacy and portability - tablets , but for long term use, browsing, work and student use, and text input - laptop/keyboard all the way

wil wrote: »
    But then android is becoming as security lax as Windows.

No, it's not.

Danger781 wrote: »
    No, it's not.
    I wish.

Know how many malware apps were reported in the last year?

• Advertisement

wil wrote: »
    I wish.

Know how many malware apps were reported in the last year?

What a silly argument.

1. While there were a relatively large number of apps reported as being 'Malware', Google found that 0.01% of these could potentially cause any harm to an Android device. Sure you could call Google out on this and say they're sugar coating it for PR reasons. However, you can't say that an unrelated University would do the same thing. The Georgia Institute of Technology conducted research on mobile malware. With a test base of over 380,000,000 devices, they found that just 3,492 showed any signs of infection. That's 0.0009% (less than Googles estimate).

2. The reason the number of reported apps seems so large compared to other mobile OS is because of Google's open approach to the market place. In Apple, each app gets scrutinized and has to meet a large number of requirements before it can be released to the public. This closed approach is completely wrong in my opinion as it stifles innovation and is really not developer friendly.

3. The vast majority of illegitimate apps come from third party app stores i.e. Not Google Play. Downloading only from Google Play will guarantee you a much safer environment.

What a silly argument.

1. While there were a relatively large number of apps reported as being 'Malware', Google found that 0.01% of these could potentially cause any harm to an Android device. Sure you could call Google out on this and say they're sugar coating it for PR reasons. However, you can't say that an unrelated University would do the same thing. The Georgia Institute of Technology conducted research on mobile malware. With a test base of over 380,000,000 devices, they found that just 3,492 showed any signs of infection. That's 0.0009% (less than Googles estimate).

2. The reason the number of reported apps seems so large compared to other mobile OS is because of Google's open approach to the market place. In Apple, each app gets scrutinized and has to meet a large number of requirements before it can be released to the public. This closed approach is completely wrong in my opinion as it stifles innovation and is really not developer friendly.

3. The vast majority of illegitimate apps come from third party app stores i.e. Not Google Play. Downloading only from Google Play will guarantee you a much safer environment.
    seems like a silly derailment of a thread from one short sentence within several paragraphs you picked up on. Might be better if you added something to the thread also.
    If you wanted to discuss your topic, probably better take it to another thread, where as you may have some valid points, there are many more in the security world who would be of the opinion that it is not as simple and as safe as you might describe.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Lets not get into a Android v Mac v Windows discussion please folks. Stay on topic.

The new Nexus 7 would be your best bet for the tablet I think. Still overkill for a 9 year old though.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Google-Nexus-7-inch-Tablet-16GB/dp/B00EANTELE/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1385302140&sr=8-3&keywords=google+nexus+7&tag=fczbkkcom04-21

BloodBath wrote: »
    The new Nexus 7 would be your best bet for the tablet I think. Still overkill for a 9 year old though.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Google-Nexus-7-inch-Tablet-16GB/dp/B00EANTELE/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1385302140&sr=8-3&keywords=google+nexus+7&tag=fczbkkcom04-21
    Agreed, probably toss up between this and the Galaxy tab in terms of value for money and quality android tablet. Another plus for the Nexus is android 4.3, don't think its rolled out yet on the Samsungs, but it allows creation of restricted profiles, preferable for kids use. /also good idea to lock down Play and credit card use.
    Undoubtedly there will be something newer and greater in a years time and the life span/cycle for tech is getting much shorter, so value for money should be a big consideration.
    If they are going to be taken out much, consider getting a neat but decent cover that will take some knocks and perhaps a lightweight (pink) carry bag. Prices for these are becoming more realistic with decent bargain versions now, where as before prices were nearly as much as the tablet themselves.

thanks bloodbath , i am thinking this item myself . what do you mean by overkill ??

I just mean it's a bit high spec but if you want something that will last it's probably a good idea.

A good protective case/cover would probably be a good idea.

I get you now , but thats what i want to get for her , and the other girl i will prob get the ipad mini as they dont want the same thing lol

A bit more info on android 4.3 restricted profiles.
    Think its only on Nexus, not yet on Galaxy tab. May be on Note 3
    Updates seem to be rolling out on sim free phones first then various providers and lastly tabs.
    Some instructions on use here

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭Shabaz50

i would go for the google nexux tablet http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00EANTELE/ref=noref?ie=UTF8&psc=1&s=computers its good quality and its much better than most other android tablets its up to you if you want 16 or 32gb but i would choose 32gb.
    for the net book id choose the chromebookhttp://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B009RF0AQ8/ref=noref?ie=UTF8&psc=1&s=computers its great value and great for surfing the web.A friend had one and he said it wasnt great for watching movies but he has very high standards.
    you will have some money left over so you can buy cases/covers or a bag to carry the chrome book

• Advertisement

I have it down to 2 or 3 , I will get the ipad mini for my 12yr and either the nexus 7 but i am confused as to which is better 2012 or 2013 edition as they seem the same . And still need some feed back on the samsung chrome book or similar cheap net/note books for my 9yr

tfromkerry wrote: »
    I have it down to 2 or 3 , I will get the ipad mini for my 12yr and either the nexus 7 but i am confused as to which is better 2012 or 2013 edition as they seem the same . And still need some feed back on the samsung chrome book or similar cheap net/note books for my 9yr

Rule of thumb would be to usually go with whatever the newest version is. It generally fixes issues with the previous generation models.

Chromebooks are great little gadgets for web browsing.. The HP Chromebook 11 would have been absolutely perfect but it was taken off the market recently due to the charger overheating..

But I must say I am not a fan of the Samsung one.. Feels cheap and looks cheap :(

Rule of thumb would be to usually go with whatever the newest version is. It generally fixes issues with the previous generation models.

Chromebooks are great little gadgets for web browsing.. The HP Chromebook 11 would have been absolutely perfect but it was taken off the market recently due to the charger overheating..

But I must say I am not a fan of the Samsung one.. Feels cheap and looks cheap :(

I am just looking online at the samsung 3 chromebook and it looks ok and just for 299 it seems good .

Do you know any about the lenovo yoga tab it looks good as well

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭Bog Standard User

for android tablets make sure it has minimum 1gb ram on it or google chrome will struggle

Advertisement