Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ingress In County Wicklow

• 23-11-2013 8:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 2

You may have heard about Google's real world based virtual geo-caching style game Ingress.

It was in closed beta for the past year but is now open to anyone with a suitable Android smartphone (HTC One X or above Samsung S3 etc iPhone will be coming next year). To see if your device is compatible to play look in the Play Store.

Ingress requires players to walk around in the real world taking over and defending "portals" which are generally significant buildings or statues and linking them up to form fields for which you get points and level up until you can build bigger and better portals and fields. There are portals all over the world and in Wicklow there are portals in Glendalough, Bray Head, the National Garden Exhibition Centre and throughout the towns and villages, there are about 100 in Arklow alone.

So if you have kids and want to get them out it's ideal. Imagine your children begging you to take them to the National Garden Exhibition Centre rather than sitting at home in front of the TV/Computer/Tablet.

There's also a game storyline about alien invaders who you either support or oppose. The Resistance (blue) fear the alien influence on mankind and try to stop them. The Enlightened (green) embrace the influence and the evolution to man's culture they might bring. I'm not really into the storyline myself.

Ingress in County Wicklow was until relatively recently fairly balanced but is currently becoming more and more blue as Dublin based players encroach into the county. In the interests of balance you might like to join the Enlightened in County Wicklow. Or not. Up to you.

http://www.ingress.com/ The world around you is not what it seems.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭Eponymous

I saw a guy playing this on the Luas a while back and it looked awsome. Just seeing the screenshots now I recognised it instantly.

Installing on phone now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 damoclesbda

Great stuff, I've been out of action for a few days so sorry for not getting back sooner, for now hack their portals for points and gear and your own portals for gear.

Deploy resonators on any of your own for points and link anything you can to anything else.

And try to join the G+ group.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Tippex

Great stuff, I've been out of action for a few days so sorry for not getting back sooner, for now hack their portals for points and gear and your own portals for gear.

Deploy resonators on any of your own for points and link anything you can to anything else.

And try to join the G+ group.

can't wait for this to come to IOS...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,232 ✭✭✭MrVestek

Eponymous wrote: »
    I saw a guy playing this on the Luas a while back and it looked awsome. Just seeing the screenshots now I recognised it instantly.

Installing on phone now.

So that's who that was staring over my shoulder the entire time! :P

Advertisement