Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Appointment to spay but pup in heat?

• 23-11-2013 9:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭

I made an appointment ages ago to get my pup spayed (next tues). She's turning 6 months at the end of the month. But I think she's in heat, she licking herself lots, and there seems to be staining around her vulva which looks bigger.
    I'm presuming I can't get her spayed now til after her heat is finished? I had not intended her to be in heat..so apart from keeping her away from other dogs do i need to do anything? Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

Jazbee wrote: »
    I made an appointment ages ago to get my pup spayed (next tues). She's turning 6 months at the end of the month. But I think she's in heat, she licking herself lots, and there seems to be staining around her vulva which looks bigger.
    I'm presuming I can't get her spayed now til after her heat is finished? I had not intended her to be in heat..so apart from keeping her away from other dogs do i need to do anything? Thanks!

Between heat cycles is the best time to get her done. Take note of when you thought the first day was. You will usually see blood if you wipe her with moist tissue. Some bitches don't have any blood on the first heat.

Be very careful from the 10th day onwards as she will be just as eager to find a dog & may try to escape. I would tend to put her in the car for walks & drive her away from your house otherwise you may have a gang of dogs camped outside your door. Don't let her off the lead & make sure you are with her in the back garden as dogs may try to scaled your wall.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Jazbee

Knine wrote: »
    Between heat cycles is the best time to get her done. Take note of when you thought the first day was. You will usually see blood if you wipe her with moist tissue. Some bitches don't have any blood on the first heat.

Be very careful from the 10th day onwards as she will be just as eager to find a dog & may try to escape. I would tend to put her in the car for walks & drive her away from your house otherwise you may have a gang of dogs camped outside your door. Don't let her off the lead & make sure you are with her in the back garden as dogs may try to scaled your wall.

Thanks for that advice Knine. I'll follow it. Would hate for her to get pregnant!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 583 ✭✭✭Inexile

OP if despite your best efforts your dog does get mated bring her to the vets and they can give an injection which will prevent a pregnancy continuing.

Not too sure how it works as thank god have never needed it . I think of it along the same lines as the morning after pill and it definitely better than an unwanted litter of pups.

Inexile wrote: »
    OP if despite your best efforts your dog does get mated bring her to the vets and they can give an injection which will prevent a pregnancy continuing.

Not too sure how it works as thank god have never needed it . I think of it along the same lines as the morning after pill and it definitely better than an unwanted litter of pups.

Thanks, we'll be extremely vigilant, would hate anything to happen to her. Have heard about that injection but hope we don't need it!

Quote"You will usually see blood if you wipe her with moist tissue"

Good bit of blood today. I've wiped her a few times to keep it at bay at she has a tendency to jump on the furniture. Would it be madness to put a pull up nappy/pants on her during the day?! I could cut out a piece for her tail?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

Jazbee wrote: »
    Quote"You will usually see blood if you wipe her with moist tissue"

Good bit of blood today. I've wiped her a few times to keep it at bay at she has a tendency to jump on the furniture. Would it be madness to put a pull up nappy/pants on her during the day?! I could cut out a piece for her tail?

Yeah would do no harm. Some bitches are better then others at keeping themselves clean too. I think some petshops sell stuff you can use too.

Knine wrote: »
    Yeah would do no harm. Some bitches are better then others at keeping themselves clean too. I think some petshops sell stuff you can use too.

Thanks again, will have a look tomorrow.

Advertisement