Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

XtraVision refuse to Sell to Xbox Ones without purchase of an additional game

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Its quite interesting. For all the complaining in this thread I see very few people saying that they are just going to cancel their pre-order.

It would appear that you all just cannot wait a few weeks to get your console, it has to be on opening night, and its this strange lack of patience that Xtravision are taking advantage of.

Frankly, for all the complaining in here, if you aren't prepared to take the simple action of canceling your pre-order then its all just hot air.

<snip>
    People like adopting things early, being an adult doesn't give you a whole lot to be excited about really when it comes to stuff like this, so if once every few years people get to be excited about a new console for a pasttime they love comes out then so what? I don't have either of the consoles ordered and have no intention of getting a PS4 for another 6-12 months but I'd be pretty pissed if I was in the same boat as some of the guys and gals on here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

bumper234 wrote: »
    Go into the shop with your pre order receipt and ask for YOUR console that YOU paid for. If they start all the BS about having to buy a game just refuse and ask for the console that you paid for. If they keep insisting you must buy a game then ask for the manager. This is the stage I would either start filming or if you are not comfortable doing that then most phones have aa voice recording function.

When the manager arrives you ask for the console you have paid for, if he refuses then ask him why XtraVision are refusing to honour a contract that they made. Stay calm and keep asking for your console, keep the manager there and keep asking why ExtraVision are trying to rip you off. If someone else comes I to the shop start explaining loudly to them what stunt ExtraVision is trying to pull.

At this stage you may be asked to leave the store, personally I wouldn't leave but be aware that you could now be considered to be trespassing and therefore liable to prosecution. If you leave the store stand outside and tell people going into the store what has happened. The police may be called but you are not doing anything illegal. If police arrive explain to them what has happened. It worked for this guy in the UK.

http://kotaku.com/a-guy-had-to-protest-outside-a-blockbuster-to-get-a-ps4-1459160805

people don't do this. You have no right to do that and can't publish without consent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,546 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Have a ps4 ordered frm xv but I want my ps4 so I don't have a choice but to buy a game. There's no brown Thomas or hmv in Waterford

Its not a limited product folks, I guarantee that if I wanted one in a few weeks I would be able to get one, so if you are upset then man up to your convictions instead of just meekly giving them your cash.

The major problem is that between now and Christmas it really is quite limited. A lot of people who have pre-ordered the console have done so that it can be under the tree on Christmas morning and for many others it's been something that they have been looking forward to and paying off for the best part of the year. Sure they could get their money back and try their luck at getting one in the coming weeks but chances of getting either console before Christmas are slim and a lot of people just want to be able to sit down and play their machine as soon as they can.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

The major problem is that between now and Christmas it really is quite limited. A lot of people who have pre-ordered the console have done so that it can be under the tree on Christmas morning and for many others it's been something that they have been looking forward to and paying off for the best part of the year. Sure they could get their money back and try their luck at getting one in the coming weeks but chances of getting either console before Christmas are slim and a lot of people just want to be able to sit down and play their machine as soon as they can.

It doesn't matter any more. The damage is done to Xtra-Vision from the amount of complaints on this website and others. The complaints will carry on everywhere, and more and more people will decide not to purchase from them again, so in this case alone, the complaint has been made abundantly clear to most folk and Xtra-Vision. They might still sell the consoles, but after that they will not be having a good sales year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 760 ✭✭✭Shane.C

The real question is, what if someone purchased all of the games and 4 controllers for the launch of the ps4?

Will Xtravision spontaneously combust?

• Registered Users Posts: 770 ✭✭✭Dublindude69

COYVB wrote: »
    Everyone should film their interactions with Xtravision on PS4 launch day and flood YouTube and Twitter with videos. That'd be a major PR disaster for the company who, so far, are probably alright with just pissing some gamers off

The poor staff, now they have to worry about being filmed and having the video up all over the internet because they are forced to follow a policy they don't agree with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,255 ✭✭✭✭Esoteric_

I really don't like the suggestions of buying a game and demanding an immediate refund, or filming the staff serving you. They're sales assistants, they have done nothing wrong. They're on rubbish wages, have no say in the company policy, and as you can see from some staff posting here, they don't agree with it. If you're going to do either of the above, don't make a poor sales assistant bear the brunt of your disgust, ask to speak to a manager.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭glorified g

I'd advise against filming a staff member. You will be out the door pretty fast with a refund of your pre book and no console. Its not our fault as staff members that head office are being di*ks.

From what I could make out if you have a game paid off already that COUNTS as the game you have to buy. So if you had prebooked a console and RYSE and had both fully paid off thats it you just have to collect them. You're not expected to buy another game.

Store managers have as little clue as we do. The information is just not available to us.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,197 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

The information should be available though. Has there been any sort of communication from the higher ups, or any sort of announcement from anyone? Or anything from MS? Seems like they are just ignoring any criticism, and assuming (seemingly rightly) that people will just take what they're given.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

I'd advise against filming a staff member. You will be out the door pretty fast with a refund of your pre book and no console. Its not our fault as staff members that head office are being di*ks.

From what I could make out if you have a game paid off already that COUNTS as the game you have to buy. So if you had prebooked a console and RYSE and had both fully paid off thats it you just have to collect them. You're not expected to buy another game.

Store managers have as little clue as we do. The information is just not available to us.

Are you sure? AFAIK people that had pre ordered the Xbox one with games had to buy an additional game at launch.

Removing information

zenno wrote: »
    It doesn't matter any more. The damage is done to Xtra-Vision from the amount of complaints on this website and others. The complaints will carry on everywhere, and more and more people will decide not to purchase from them again, so in this case alone, the complaint has been made abundantly clear to most folk and Xtra-Vision. They might still sell the consoles, but after that they will not be having a good sales year.

Xtravision won't suffer all that much. I bet that if tomorrow morning they announced that all new games were half price the majority of those boycotting the store would be the first in line. If you really think that a few posts on boards or facebook will affect their yearly sales then you've really overestimated the power of the Internet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭Bepolite

I'm not sure a shop is to be honest - you're in there on an implied license.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

Xtravision won't suffer all that much. I bet that if tomorrow morning they announced that all new games were half price the majority of those boycotting the store would be the first in line. If you really think that a few posts on boards or facebook will affect their yearly sales then you've really overestimated the power of the Internet.

It's affecting them now, and this is the point. Don't underestimate peoples awareness from this charade, as I myself wouldn't purchase a thing from them again. Once folks get the console and all is done<snip> And it will affect their yearly sales if a lot of folk of which always shopped there don't because of this. Their profits will be lower either way.

Whatever about the legality of it why record a staff member that has nothing to do with the decision? What do you think that will achieve? Its not the fault of the staff.

I'm getting a good roasting over in the Legal Discussion forum, it's not my intention to rattle cages here I'm just genuinely interested to find out if I just have a my cynicism set to 11.

Hilco which own HMV and Xtravision are a restructuring company, they essentially buy and sell businesses as a commodity. Did it not occur to anyone else that they are probably just hanging it out to get a console launch and another Xmas and then either sell the business on or more likely liquidate it?

I would have been very, very reticencent to give these businesses any money without having something to walk away with that day, let alone the possible warranty issues later down the line.

Did this not occur to most people especially as HMV went bust recently and Xtravison where known to be in trouble?

MODS please delete this if it's sailing a bit close to the wind.

It's affecting them now, and this is the point. Don't underestimate peoples awareness from this charade, as I myself wouldn't purchase a thing from them again. Once folks get the console and all is done, they will remember the raw scamming from this outlet. And it will affect their yearly sales if a lot of folk of which always shopped there don't because of this. Their profits will be lower either way.

I have to agree with Darko here. I know Game, Gamestop and HMV had done this in the past. I suppose that two out of three went bust kinda backs up your point but HMV is back and Game is still trading in the UK - under Hilco too if I'm not completely wrong (which I might be on that!).

I am it's OpCapita Sorry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Cancel your pre-orders and get one for €750 quid on adverts.

You aint allowed to profiteer on concert tickets but you can work away on pretty much everything else it seems.

It's affecting them now, and this is the point. Don't underestimate peoples awareness from this charade, as I myself wouldn't purchase a thing from them again. Once folks get the console and all is done, they will remember the raw scamming from this outlet. And it will affect their yearly sales if a lot of folk of which always shopped there don't because of this. Their profits will be lower either way.

I walked past my local store yesterday and I've never seen it so busy. The percentage of people who refuse to shop there will have no significant impact on them. Previous console launches saw similiar crap being pulled and all that came from it was a whole lot of nothing.
    Bepolite wrote: »
    I'm getting a good roasting over in the Legal Discussion forum, it's not my intention to rattle cages here I'm just genuinely interested to find out if I just have a my cynicism set to 11.

Hilco which own HMV and Xtravision are a restructuring company, they essentially by and sell businesses as a commodity. Did it not occur to anyone else that they are probably just hanging it out to get a console launch and another Xmas and then either sell the business on or more likely liquidate it?

I would have been very, very reticencent to give these businesses any money without having something to walk away with that day, let alone the possible warranty issues later down the line.

Did this not occur to most people especially as HMV went bust recently and Xtravison where known to be in trouble?

Xtravision weren't in all that much trouble. The vast majority of their stores were profitable and continue to be so.

Xtravision weren't in all that much trouble. The vast majority of their stores were profitable and continue to be so.

I'm not sure that the vast majority would be a fair assessment but I could be wrong. The problem is it only takes a small part of their estate to drag the rest down. It at least explains some of the public perception at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭3rdDegree

Agreed. Xtravision won't have any trouble shifting their consoles before Christmas, but that isn't the issue. , People remember and they have a lot of choice these days. I think Xtravision will need all the good will they can get over the next 12 difficult months. This stunt is short sighted and silly of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭chewythefirst

Whatever about the legality of it why record a staff member that has nothing to do with the decision? What do you think that will achieve? Its not the fault of the staff.

because even the lowest member of staff is still a member of staff and a representative of xtra vision, and if you have them on video or just voice recorded saying something that in the near future gets proved to be illegal then that becomes proof.
    Cancel your pre-orders and get one for €750 quid on adverts.

You aint allowed to profiteer on concert tickets but you can work away on pretty much everything else it seems.

i know adverts only enforce this if and when they want, i caught a good few people trying to profiteer on the humble bundle back there a few months ago and was told by a mod to stop spamming his add even after i proved what he was doing.

because even the lowest member of staff is still a member of staff and a representative of xtra vision, and if you have them on video or just voice recorded saying something that in the near future gets proved to be illegal then that becomes proof.

I'm totally open to correction on this but I doubt the word of a bottom of the rung staff member who has no input in day to day life of a company is worth anything in a court. It's just our opinion.

I'd be shocked if the Xtravision hadn't set something in place to deal with things like that in the contract we signed.

• Registered Users Posts: 770 ✭✭✭Dublindude69

Some of the posts in here sicken me. Record staff members, verbally abuse staff members. This is how head office get away with it. They know staff will get all the abuse and don't have to care about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Optimalprimerib

Im not understanding the logic if you have a gqme pre-ordered you still have to buy a game on top of that. It really is taking advantage of two things.

1. If a customer is not happy, there are plenty desperate enough to take the console if a refund is given

2. If a staff member will not comply there are plenty out there to take their place.

I wouldnt be too shocked if they are near end of life again and are trying to nab every last penny of profit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,380 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Im not understanding the logic if you have a gqme pre-ordered you still have to buy a game on top of that. It really is taking advantage of two things.

1. If a customer is not happy, there are plenty desperate enough to take the console if a refund is given

2. If a staff member will not comply there are plenty out there to take their place.

I wouldnt be too shocked if they are near end of life again and are trying to nab every last penny of profit.

The more I think about it it sounds like a smash and grab for XV. The problem is they don't make that much of a profit on new games.

This is a very very stupid move by XV big wigs.

Advertisement