Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommended usage for Windows 8 touch?

Options
  • 23-11-2013 12:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,031 ✭✭✭

I've got a Surface 2 tablet and find it hard to navigate the full site mode using touch as when I click the forum category buttons at the top of the page, the menu disappears before I can select my chosen forum.

I don't like using the touch interface and would prefer to find a way to use the full site in Internet Explorer 11 on Windows 8.1 in touch mode - is this possible or is the touch site the only recommended interface for this setup?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

Hi Frank,

I dont know about the surface 2 (ye fancy pants!) but I have tried it on the Surface RT - I had the same issue with the touch site and the drop down menu disappearing, not just boards though, a lot of sites that have javascript dropdowns.

option 1: keep touching until you are over your choice then release. <-- annoying, doesnt always work

option 2: hit desktop, open IE , load up www.boards.ie (non-touch) and use that. its a bit more awkward , especially if you have large fingers, but it does work with a touch screen.

option 3: suffer until either Boards.ie address the menu issue in IE 11 touch - I'll check the developement forum and see if its mentioned in there - OR - wait until windows 8.1 finally get a proper plugin manager for IE 11 (oh and the ability to install java would be lovely!) - OR - Boards.ie release a boards app for the MS Store.

In any case, I'll move this thread over to site developement where hopefully one of the devs will see it and can give a better explanation or be inspired to investigate further themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

moving this from helpdesk as it is not an issue with the UI that a user needs to learn, its an issue with Windows 8.1 IE 11 touch and how the touch site behaves on that particular platform.

Its almost unusable. seriously, I feel Frank's pain. I cannot use boards on a surface tablet.... I cant use most sites on a surface not to mention the pain just trying to log out of gmail!

• Registered Users Posts: 83,002 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I've bumped the issue a few times. I'm sure it's a known thing. Probably no ETR though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭Boards.ie: Alvis

Good morning.

Yes, this is a known issue.

We plan on making the navigation menus more touch friendly, especially on W8 touch devices where they are unusable. It is unfortunately a lower priority though, as we have quite a lot on our plate right now so I can't give an ETA on this. Will post in here once I have any updates.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.

Advertisement