Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

iPhone 5S in NY Apple Store

• 23-11-2013 2:03pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭

Im getting my brother to get a iPhone 5S over in NY next week,
    I just wanted to make sure that these come unlocked don't they?

Ive seen online where they can ship with a T-Mobile sim or Sim Free for the sam price.
    I assume the T-Mobile one is sim free but it just gives you the sim so you don't have to pick one up? As they are bot $650.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

They're selling them properly unlocked now:

http://store.apple.com/us/buy-iphone/iphone5s/16gb-silver-unlocked

Edit: also remember those prices are before state-specific sales tax.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭whitebriar

They are definitely unlocked,I got one a couple of days ago.
    They come with a t mobile SIM,just swap with your own and you're good to go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭L5

Are there any problems getting them there now or has supply caught up with demand?

Availability is tight.
    What ya do is go into the apple site if in the States and click on store pick up.
    Put in your local zip code and if availability shows in any of a number of local store's,then you buy on line,paying on the site and you have a week or so to pick it up.
    Availability is refreshed at 10 pm eastern each night,but goes quickly especially for the gold ones.

You can also return after pick up for a full refund.
    Strictly speaking you are not supposed to but one of us did no bother.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭djdunny

mcw92 wrote: »
    Im getting my brother to get a iPhone 5S over in NY next week,
    I just wanted to make sure that these come unlocked don't they?

Ive seen online where they can ship with a T-Mobile sim or Sim Free for the sam price.
    I assume the T-Mobile one is sim free but it just gives you the sim so you don't have to pick one up? As they are bot $650.

Thanks.

OP just a heads up that if something goes wrong with the phone it has to go back to the states for service. You wouldnt be able to send it to Apple here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭mcw92

djdunny wrote: »
    OP just a heads up that if something goes wrong with the phone it has to go back to the states for service. You wouldnt be able to send it to Apple here.

Why would it have to go back to the states?
    Would it not be the same as contacting apple here and arranging a pick up of it for them to look at it?

mcw92 wrote: »
    Why would it have to go back to the states?
    Would it not be the same as contacting apple here and arranging a pick up of it for them to look at it?
    It's a grey area with varied results.
    Some here report Apple in Ireland tell you to go back to the States.
    Others elsewhere have had no trouble.
    It's a risk you take.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭djdunny

No the model you purchase in the states will not be same as the one you purchase in Ireland or the Uk.

It may use different internal components.

http://www.apple.com/legal/warranty/products/iphone-english.html

If you read the link, under the warranty & service options, it should explain it in detail.

That's true,but I know people who have dropped theirs back in London no bother.
    It is a risk yes,it dependson who you meet.
    But I doubt apple will leave you without a phone on 'holidays' or while you are 'working abroad'.
    That would be nonsensical and non commercial.
    Whether you're prepared to take that risk for 12 months is up to you.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

whitebriar wrote: »
    That's true,but I know people who have dropped theirs back in London no bother.
    It is a risk yes,it dependson who you meet.
    But I doubt apple will leave you without a phone on 'holidays' or while you are 'working abroad'.
    That would be nonsensical and non commercial.
    Whether you're prepared to take that risk for 12 months is up to you.

They won't deal with a different model phone in Europe. They replace like with like and don't hold stock of the North American model.

• Advertisement
Advertisement