Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas songs that ain't

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

I love both 'The Power of Love' and 'Stay Another Day'.

The former doesn't feel Christmassy to be me at all though, but the latter very much does. Christmas is a sad time for a lot of people and it taps into this quite beautifully. It's actually one of my favourite Christmas songs. It's achingly beautiful.

Which song are you talking about? I read former and latter as being the same haha.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 536 ✭✭✭April O Neill II

Loughc wrote: »
    Which song are you talking about? I read former and latter as being the same haha.

'The Power of Love' is the former, 'Stay Another Day' is the latter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

That mad world song was number one at Christmas about ten years ago.

Jesus its the most depressing song ever, nothing Christmasy about it, he talks about dying in his dreams been the best dreams he ever has.

Hate it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭Kettleson

corblimey wrote: »

Also I'm not sure the one mention of Christmas in 'Stop the Cavalry' qualifies it as a Christmas song. What else you got?

Interesting point, I think the sleigh bells make a big contribution to giving it the Christmas stamp.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭An Riabhach

Jesus its the most depressing song ever, nothing Christmasy about it, he talks about dying in his dreams been the best dreams he ever has.

Hate it.
    Awful-the kind of song that could also put make you fall asleep-even more dreary than The Power Of Love.

The original version by Tears for Fears is way better-although with the same lyrics-at least tis more alive with drums and proper bass guitar.

• Advertisement

Kettleson wrote: »
    Interesting point, I think the sleigh bells make a big contribution to giving it the Christmas stamp.

If that's the one by Jonah Louie,I saw the video to that song on VH1 recently and at the end he is sitting in an armchair by the fire an a xmas tree,and the last line he sings "I wish I was at home for xmas",so there are direct references to xmas.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭philstar

Love of the Common People - Paul Young

I think this was a hit around Christmas, has a Christmassy sound (although the lyrics are kind of bleak despite the upbeat melody) It had mentions of cold and snow.

It's a favourite of mine anyway and always in my Christmas mix

here's a more christmassy video to it....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭corblimey

Points taken on sleigh bells and the Christmas tree, although I've always taken the 'wish I could be home for Christmas' line to be related to the famous "it'll all be over by Christmas" saying associated with the WWII.

Here's another one

This is a good one, it spent a week at number one a month before Christmas, is about a breakup and wasn't released in the States until April the following year, but dress the little whippersnappers up in fur clothing, hey presto, Christmassy!

Points taken on sleigh bells and the Christmas tree, although I've always taken the 'wish I could be home for Christmas' line to be related to the famous "it'll all be over by Christmas" saying associated with the WWII.

Here's another one

This is a good one, it spent a week at number one a month before Christmas, is about a breakup and wasn't released in the States until April the following year, but dress the little whippersnappers up in fur clothing, hey presto, Christmassy!

You've reminded me of a song from Steps-where in the video they are skiing and sledding,and they are living in a log cabin and you can see them playing games around the xmas tree.I don't think the song was about xmas though.
    (b.t.w. I do not like Steps or S-Club 7!!)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭corblimey

Seasan wrote: »
    You've reminded me of a song from Steps-where in the video they are skiing and sledding,and they are living in a log cabin and you can see them playing games around the xmas tree.I don't think the song was about xmas though.
    (b.t.w. I do not like Steps or S-Club 7!!)

Why, that would Heartbeat (now with added midgets)

Definitely one they only wheel out at Christmas, and at least it's not Tragedy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

The production values in that video are brilliant. That fight scene is amazing. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭mud

fryup wrote: »
    who remembers this ....

The Flying Pickets, xmas No 1 in 1983 (can you believe it :eek:) god i feel old

no instruments just human vocals,

*the lead singer went on to play the part of Dougie in coronation st

This is my 9-year-old nephew's favourite tune.

I'm so proud of him :D

• Registered Users Posts: 35 gurl88

..and I notice that quite a few of them are not actually about Christmas or anything related to it..

For example

In Dulci Jubilo means "In sweet rejoicing" and is a traditional Christmas carol that goes back to the 14th century. The song by Mike Oldfield is an instrumental version of the same carol that describes the birth of Jesus. I don't think it can get more Christmas-y than that :o

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭salad dodger

Knocked off the #1 spot in dec 86 by Reet Petit
    At the end of 1986 they had their only UK No. 1 single on 16 December with a cover version of Isley-Jasper-Isley's "Caravan of Love".[1] It was knocked off the top spot by Jackie Wilson's "Reet Petite" on 23 December, denying the Housemartins the coveted Christmas No. 1 single.

Neither is overtly Christmassy but this has the more Christmas feel about it

Hate it.

:eek:

OK, that version isn't great but I love love love the original. It's more uptempo to, so not nearly as depressing.

Aw wow, love this song. Blast from the past!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭Kettleson

Maybe this is just me..Christmas '81.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

^^^^^^^^^^^^^

the xmas no1 for 1981 was the Human League don't you want me baby

the following year it was this.....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 55 ✭✭jersman

How are Power of Love, Stay by East 17 and that frog song by Paul McCartney classed as Christmas songs? There are so many Christmas songs to play why bother playing these non Christmas songs? They must be delighted to have their songs classed as Christmas songs as they are played every year on radio and TV and are on most albums.

I also hate the songs that show up on the Christmas countdown shows on the music channels on UPC that have absolutely nothing got to do with Christmas but were just released around Christmas eg. Mad world, the JCB song and Robbie with Nicole Kidman.

Just remembered a few other "Xmas" songs:

Westlife-"I Have A Dream"
    Kate Winslet-"What If"
    Girls Aloud-"Will We Ever See The Day"
    Spice Girls-"Goodbye My Friend"

Even Leona Lewis,who had an xmas number one herself,said that she wanted to see actual xmas songs be xmas number one again.
    Seems that even former xfactor contestants/winners are fed up of xfactor crap being xmas number one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

jersman wrote: »
    How are Power of Love, Stay by East 17 and that frog song by Paul McCartney classed as Christmas songs? There are so many Christmas songs to play why bother playing these non Christmas songs? They must be delighted to have their songs classed as Christmas songs as they are played every year on radio and TV and are on most albums.

I also hate the songs that show up on the Christmas countdown shows on the music channels on UPC that have absolutely nothing got to do with Christmas but were just released around Christmas eg. Mad world, the JCB song and Robbie with Nicole Kidman.

Its because they were Christmas number ones and therefore people associate them with Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Mr321

I know, sure even some Xfactor finalist songs is now classed as a Christmas song just because they were released the week before Christmas or number one at Christmas even though the word Christmas isnt mentioned in it once!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Fairytale Of New York isn't exactly Christmassy is it?

Tombo2001 wrote: »
    Its because they were Christmas number ones and therefore people associate them with Christmas.

Not Rage Against The Machine though.....

Delighted to see that getting xmax number 1-regardless of how it got there-instead of the xfactor bull**** back then.

Talking of which-did Liverpool Justice For Hillsborough song get last years UK number one,or was it that wanker James Arthur?
    I already know(or think) that his crappy song beat The Song For Lily Mae to it in the Irish charts.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Seasan wrote: »
    Even Leona Lewis,who had an xmas number one herself,said that she wanted to see actual xmas songs be xmas number one again.
    Seems that even former xfactor contestants/winners are fed up of xfactor crap being xmas number one.

Not surprised she said that considering she released a Christmas Album this year... :rolleyes:

Advertisement