Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ag Science- UCD

Options
  • 23-11-2013 4:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭

Hi, aiming for ag science in ucd 455 this year but i have a few questions about it. I am not doing biology, chemistry or physics for LC just ag science but have a great interest in it and i'm kicking myself i didn't get biology but the places were taken up. Will not doing these subjects affect me in the course as they are core subjects or do they start with basics and i would be able to catch on? Also can i enter through agriculture in cit after a few years if didn't get the points? Thanks for any help!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

You'd want to check if any of those science subjects are a requirement, if they are, you won't get the course offer anyway. If not, then you can be rest assured they will start from the basics. Even in Engineering, they start from the basic's of calculus and chemistry for example (Even though you need to score pretty high in them to get an offer), it just helps to have them in school as it makes the first few semesters much handier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭generic2012

I completed my Bsc in Agri-environmental science in UCD and am currently doing a masters there too. I'm from the sticks myself, did science up to junior cert and ag science up to leaving, no physics, chemistry or biology either. They start of with the basics although it's very fast paced. There are tutorials where you can pick up marks along the way so a basic knowledge of the subject in the final exam will get you through. I know a few lads who came through Ballyhaise ag college (Cavan) and there was a few through ITs aswell but it's an extra year and a confusing process by the sounds of it. If you can get the entry points you're more than able to pass the science modules and after 2nd year you will never have to go near that hateful science building again!

What specific part of ag you hoping to get into, out of curiosity? Any other questions Id be more than happy to answer, its a great course, with literally the soundest bunch you'll ever meet. If you want my email address or anything just shout.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭case885

I completed my Bsc in Agri-environmental science in UCD and am currently doing a masters there too. I'm from the sticks myself, did science up to junior cert and ag science up to leaving, no physics, chemistry or biology either. They start of with the basics although it's very fast paced. There are tutorials where you can pick up marks along the way so a basic knowledge of the subject in the final exam will get you through. I know a few lads who came through Ballyhaise ag college (Cavan) and there was a few through ITs aswell but it's an extra year and a confusing process by the sounds of it. If you can get the entry points you're more than able to pass the science modules and after 2nd year you will never have to go near that hateful science building again!

What specific part of ag you hoping to get into, out of curiosity? Any other questions Id be more than happy to answer, its a great course, with literally the soundest bunch you'll ever meet. If you want my email address or anything just shout.

Hi thanks for the reply! Ok i should be able to catch on if do get it. The points are pretty high 455 must be alot of demand so i was thinking if i dont get would i have to do a level 7 or 8 in cit to get in? Is it hard to adjust? Ill probably put down no preference as im not sure what aspect but it would be between animal science and engineering technology id say. Thanks for the help!

I presume its the omnibus which is 455 points. The omnibus means you go into a common first year and choose which specific field you go into in second year. The common sense thing to do would be to put down the omnibus first with its higher points first the animal science/eng tech next, so you if you don't get the omnibus you'll have a chance of getting either of those. Animal science could be high enough points as a lot of people who can't get veterinary will choose it as a round about way of gettin into veterinary in a few more years. Maybe research animal and crop production? It seems more animal based from what I hear anyway.

You can do it through an IT from what I know but UCD might only a certain number of graduates from those courses in, or perhaps you have to get over a certain grade, finish with an honours or something. It could be quite an adjustment so if I was you I'd focus on getting in to UCD and having the IT route as a back up.

I presume its the omnibus which is 455 points. The omnibus means you go into a common first year and choose which specific field you go into in second year. The common sense thing to do would be to put down the omnibus first with its higher points first the animal science/eng tech next, so you if you don't get the omnibus you'll have a chance of getting either of those. Animal science could be high enough points as a lot of people who can't get veterinary will choose it as a round about way of gettin into veterinary in a few more years. Maybe research animal and crop production? It seems more animal based from what I hear anyway.

You can do it through an IT from what I know but UCD might only a certain number of graduates from those courses in, or perhaps you have to get over a certain grade, finish with an honours or something. It could be quite an adjustment so if I was you I'd focus on getting in to UCD and having the IT route as a back up.
    Yes thats right but it says 455 for each option, are the options different points do you think? Ya id believe that about animal science as a fella im my class was planning doing it to get into veterinary. I would probably go for the lowest points option if they were individual points for each course. Are job opportunities good from the course?

• Advertisement

They definitely are different points. Points are decided by how people apply for the course. If a course has room for 300 people, (I think that's what the usual amount goin in to ag is, maybe more) the 300 people with the highest points will get offered a place, whatever points the last person in got is the cut off point, if you get me? More people apply for the omnibus because it leaves more options for them so the points are higher. Same with medicine, law whatever. If there's more money in careers from a certain course, more people will apply and the points will similarly go up (that could also answer your question about job opportunities too). I think omnibus was 40 points higher than environmental and 60/70 higher than animal crop when I applied. Lots of my friends got work from it, most from environmental workin in Ireland, most from ACP abroad, lots doing Phds/Masters too.

The way things have gone, with no one workin, everyone goes to college so a bachelors degree doesn't hold the significance it once had, so a masters is a far bigger advantage than it was 5/6 years ago but I wouldn't worry about all that yet.

They definitely are different points. Points are decided by how people apply for the course. If a course has room for 300 people, (I think that's what the usual amount goin in to ag is, maybe more) the 300 people with the highest points will get offered a place, whatever points the last person in got is the cut off point, if you get me? More people apply for the omnibus because it leaves more options for them so the points are higher. Same with medicine, law whatever. If there's more money in careers from a certain course, more people will apply and the points will similarly go up (that could also answer your question about job opportunities too). I think omnibus was 40 points higher than environmental and 60/70 higher than animal crop when I applied. Lots of my friends got work from it, most from environmental workin in Ireland, most from ACP abroad, lots doing Phds/Masters too.

The way things have gone, with no one workin, everyone goes to college so a bachelors degree doesn't hold the significance it once had, so a masters is a far bigger advantage than it was 5/6 years ago but I wouldn't worry about all that yet.

Got a reply from someone in ag office in ucd and she said all 4 preferences are the same points as the no preference which is 455, thats a shame as the high numbers for animal science are surely driving up the points for the other preferences.

Those points are just estimates I wouldn't worry too much about her saying that.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Topper7

case885 wrote: »
    Hi, aiming for ag science in ucd 455 this year but i have a few questions about it. I am not doing biology, chemistry or physics for LC just ag science but have a great interest in it and i'm kicking myself i didn't get biology but the places were taken up. Will not doing these subjects affect me in the course as they are core subjects or do they start with basics and i would be able to catch on? Also can i enter through agriculture in cit after a few years if didn't get the points? Thanks for any help!

Hey done Ag as well. I had no science other than Ag in the LC. Trust me if I can make it true anyone can. If you go to the science classes in first year & pay attention they will be no problem. The issues is having so much craic in ag that you sometimes forget what your actually there to do! I wouldnt let the points put you off. Put your first pref first & so on. Also I know off some who moved from a different course at the end of first year (eg FAM to ACP), most first year subjects are the same. Not sure if this is still the same though as they where looking at changing it when I was finishing (2011). Any other questions feel free to ask!

Advertisement