Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GSG 522 Legality - Michael Healy Rae

Options
  • 23-11-2013 4:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 48

Hi guys, I saw an advert for a programme scheduled to show on RTE on Monday 25th Nov 2013 at 9pm. It's about the Healy Rae family who have been politicians for several years/generations. One segment of the advert shows Michael Healy Rae shooting a GSG 522 (on his land I presume) which looks to have a 10 3/4" barrel, an unrestricted 22 round magazine and a pistol grip.
    Can anyone clarify the legality of this firearm? As far as I was aware we can't possess any firearms which resemble assault rifles under any circumstances, have unrestricted mags, pistol grips and barrels this short.
    I'd like to apply for one if this character has set a precedent for their possession.
    Is it a case of one rule for these people and the rest of us can feck off?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭juice1304

You would need a restricted licence for the mag anyway, The barrel length is in a grey area if it that length from the factory. And it doesn't matter about a pistol grip on a rifle only on a shotgun.
    It is up to your local super to decide if he thinks it looks like an assault rifle. If he dose then it needs a restricted licence.
    You can own any firearm if you have a reason/need for it. etc... Bar anything full auto unless your best friend is the minister for justice. lol

In most cases it is going to require a restricted licence and just fyi gsg anything are nothing more than a ball of scrap. Rubbish would be an understatement.

• Subscribers Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭IRLConor

Going after rabbits I presume? Odd that an Irish TV station would televise hunting, they tend not to be particularly supportive of it.

I'm assuming he was hunting something since they wouldn't want to show him shooting targets while not on an authorised range of course! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,788 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

There's no hassle applying for a restricted rifle licence. The only problem is justifying why you need that particular rifle.

You'd have to prove to the Chief Super why you need that particular gun and why there's no other unrestricted rifle that would be able to do same job for you.

In my honest opinion, not really worth the effort.

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭rsole1

Are you allowed to hunt Pheasants with a rifle?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

No.

Section 33 wildlife act 1976. Specifically:
    33.—(1) It shall be an offence for a person to kill or injure—

(b) with a rifle, any protected wild bird.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭The Aussie

I don't get the Michael Healy-Rae part of the question?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭rowa

A journalist mixing up a shotgun and rifle on an upcoming programme perhaps ?

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭dc99

Hi, just saw a promo for a program on tv3 this coming Monday, near the end he seems to be shooting an mp3 in .22.

(I am presuming its a .22???).

Hummmmmm...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭bravestar

dc99 wrote: »
    Hi, just saw a promo for a program on tv3 this coming Monday, near the end he seems to be shooting an mp3 in .22.

(I am presuming its a .22???).

Hummmmmm...

Mp3? must not be a fan of lady gaga :D

As there have been three threads in the last few hours about the same program and same person(s) i merged all threads into one to keep the discussion central, and avoid multiple threads.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

• Advertisement

Its been done before cass, see link below

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=86014476

Not the first, won't be the last, but in the last 3 - 4 hours we've had 3 threads in target, hunting, and the main shooting forum. All about the same topic, just different questions. So i'm centralising them.

Anyway i can see carcrash tv waiting to happen :rolleyes:, god spare us.

Heh, heh. Funny because it's true.

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭dc99

The Aussie wrote: »
    I don't get the Michael Healy-Rae part of the question?
    hi Aussie,

The guy in question is a well known Politician, and the rifle in question is controversial when it comes to licence .....

So if he can have one like an "assault rifle" why can't we.

I can almost see it now, people that have been rejected for a licence for one, asking why not - like if he can why can't i?

Regards

hi Aussie,

The guy in question is a well known Politician, and the rifle in question is controversial when it comes to licence .....

I can almost see it now, people that have been rejected for a licence for one, asking why not - like if he can why can't i?

Regards

That's always been the way it is. Why the sudden uproar?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,788 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

hi Aussie,

Regards

Good luck trying "he has one, I want one" with the Super

Healy-Rae might have a restricted licence for it.

If he has a restricted licence, then the Chief Super thought his reasoning for having it was fair enough.

Or maybe his Super didn't think it warranted a restricted licence....... the way the law is written, it's all up to the opinion of the Super.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,976 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

People have got licences for "assault rifle" .22's. Lad I shoot with has one.

You can't just have one because you want it. Same scenario as applying for any restricted firearm.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,024 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Wonder is it registerd to him or did he borrow it to " big up his image?" of some kind of good ol Kerry boy politicans son??

So it will be intresting to see if Mr Haely Rae jnr TD actually is in possession of a FAC for such,and if not will he be prosecuted by AGS for unliscensed possesion of a firearm.
    Or will this be the usual Irish "them and us" rule situation??

BTW.Thanks Jackie Haely Rae Jr for nothing...Just what we need ,some clown whom most of the nation thinks is soft in the head anyway waving a evil looking black machine pistol around on the TV.:mad::mad:
    A positive shooting image I must say.:mad::mad::mad:

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    A positive shooting image I must say.:mad::mad::mad:

Its a golden opportunity to show a positive side to sports/game shooting on national tv, somehow though i don't think its going to work out like that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    Wonder is it registerd to him or did he borrow it to " big up his image?" of some kind of good ol Kerry boy politicans son??

Or will this be the usual Irish "them and us" rule situation??

I think you are right. You heard the phrase before "T.I.A." This is Africa. What goes on here is our business! Well "Th.I.C.K" This Is County Kerry! "and you can fupp back to wherever the hell you came from boy attitude".

Sure didnt they have this a couple of years ago when they were dividing the country up into Region 1 and Region 2 status for being disadvantaged in Europe? Kerry were well out side the out limits for Region 2. Jackie Healy-Rae said he was pulling out of Government. This is the Healy-Raes giving you the "ThICK" two fingers.

BTW I am not from Kerry or near it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭valerossi

Makes no difference their above the law down their, I shoot a lot with friends in Kilgarvan and certain pubs never close while others are literally being closed by cops across the road. Even seen a lad helped to his car and pointed in the right direction one night.

BattleCorp wrote: »
    the Chief Super thought his reasoning for having it was fair enough.

Or maybe his Super didn't think it warranted a restricted licence....... the way the law is written, it's all up to the opinion of the Super.

It was the opinion of the Super and is beyond reproach.<snip>

MOD: Edited to remove what might be seen as a defamatory implication of impropriety on the part of an identifiable individual.

When you live through administrations with the likes of the aherns (both of them) haughey, biffo, the flynns, the healy-raes and dozens of other self serving and borderline criminal (and sometimes not so borderline) idiots, it makes you sad that the men of 1916 gave their lives so this lot could live high on the hog and feather their own nests, disgusting.
    Back on topic, a good few lads in our club have these .22lr gsg and s+w m+p type rifles, most applied for them as restricted and the gardai said they weren't. One lad in particular had to wait over a year for his as the super couldn't make up his mind if it was restricted or not, after getting advice (which i presume was the fpu and ballistics dept) said it was not restricted and issued the cert.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

Well, one thing is for sure. It most definitely does not resemble an assault rifle. Any keyboard warrior knows it looks like a submachine gun and that's a term that's not mentioned in the description of the characteristics of restricted firearms.

Sure wasn't it the same clown who made an argument for higher drink driving limits as long as it was only the local in Ballygombeen you were driving back from pished as a lord ?

"that snooker table in the VIP lounge in the station in Killarney, bought under the art procurement for the station is just the business". One law for them another for the rest of us.

Where is that quote coming from?

bravestar wrote: »
    Where is that quote coming from?

hahahaha just messing but seriously there is money set aside to buy art for Garda stations. :rolleyes: Recession was never felt in Kerry

hahahaha just messing but seriously there is money set aside to buy art for Garda stations. :rolleyes: Recession was never felt in Kerry

Not that I have ever seen. Pool tables etc are bought by the social club for that station, the social club is funded by all the gardai stationed there who give a percentage of their wages every week.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭The Aussie

hi Aussie,

I know who the hat wearing chimp is, the question posed had no context in the original thread, but does in this combined/merged thread, actually had a few beers it their Pub down in Kilgavan 3 years ago when down fishing the Roughty, had to walk through someone's living room past some old lady to get to the Dunny, great craic was had by all :pac:

• Advertisement

The Aussie wrote: »
    hat wearing chimp
    You are too kind, you should have seen the rest of the family

Advertisement