Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog possibly hit by car?

Options
  • 23-11-2013 4:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 29

My dog, a three year old male Bichon-Yorkie cross, has a habit of sneaking out the door and going for a run whenever he can wriggle past whoever is going in or out. Today he succeeded for the millionth time, but he came back rather quickly and was walking awkwardly and I noticed he was shaking. Because of this, my mother suggested that maybe he was constipated and so I should take him on a walk. On the walk I noticed that he seemed really afraid of cars. He's a relatively road-wise dog and he's careful to stay on the footpath, but he has never before shied away from cars on the road when he's on the footpath. Upon returning my mother noticed that he was really sensitive in certain places (the ribs and front legs) and yelped when any sort of pressure was applied to them. We suspect that he was clipped or hit by a car and that he might have some damage to the bone/muscle structure.

What can we do about this? Bringing him to a vet is expensive and we're kind of short of money at the moment so preferably avoid that suggestion unless you think it's absolutely essential.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Its pretty much impossible to diagnose medical conditions based on a post.
    If you think your unaccompanied dog was hit by a car then call a vet and arrange a visit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭barbiegirl

I'm afraid there is no other advise anyone can give other than go to the vet. You suspect your dog was hit by a car he needs to be checked for broken rips, internal damage etc.
    This is NOT the time to sit back.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 radagastbr0wn

Okay, I'll try and get him to a vet ASAP.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

As said above, no one can diagnose over a forum. Think of it this way, if it was a young child who possibly got hit by a car and was tender on their arms and ribs you would at the very least bring them to the doctor yes? So why not with a dog. I would imagine at the least the poor thing would need some painkillers!

• Registered Users Posts: 29 radagastbr0wn

Yes, I can completely see your point. Money's the issue here, not convenience. As I said, I'll try and get him to a vet as soon as I can.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

As well as bringing him to a vet you should probably make your home more secure so he can't escape any more. Getting out once is an accident. 100's of time means you have a major issue with not being careful.
    One of these times he will not come home. He should also not be on a footpath unless he is under control e.g a lead.

It will cost a hell of a lot more then a trip to the vet if he causes a car accident.

I hope he recovers soon. You could try some stair gates to help preventing him from escaping.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭Boombastic

Yes, I can completely see your point. Money's the issue here, not convenience. As I said, I'll try and get him to a vet as soon as I can.

ask you vet if he will accept staged payments..and be glad the owner of the car isn't coming looking for compensation for damages, which you would be liable for. As said make your home more secure

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭sillysmiles

Boombastic wrote: »
    ask you vet if he will accept staged payments..and be glad the owner of the car isn't coming looking for compensation for damages, which you would be liable for. As said make your home more secure

It might be an idea to check if your home insurance covers liability if you dogs causes a car accident. It wont cover vet costs for you but it will cover costs associated with the drivers car. It's worth a phone.
    Hope your dog is ok.

Advertisement