Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Stephen Law's 'Evil God Hypothesis'

• 23-11-2013 5:09pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,094 ✭✭✭

I find Stephen Law's 'Evil God Hypothesis' extremely persuasive as an argument against the existence of God.

For those of you who are unaware of the argument, this video should clear that up [From 26:15 minutes onward]:

While I find it persuasive against standard Christian theodicies, I'm still unsure as to one particular aspect:

Is a maximally evil being greater than a maximally good being, or even a maximally neutral being? Alternatively, does a maximally good being have an advantage over a maximally evil being?

Open to the floor.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Eugh William Lane Craig!
    Abandon-thread1.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,094 ✭✭✭wretcheddomain

I take it nobody has any contribution related to the Evil God Hypothesis so... :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Brian Shanahan

I take it nobody has any contribution related to the Evil God Hypothesis so... :-)

No it's just that William Lane Craig is the universal repellant. I heard once that some scientists put 1CC of his blood in the waters of one of the tributaries of the Amazon. The blood was so toxic that twenty years later prianha still avoided the river.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,094 ✭✭✭wretcheddomain

No it's just that William Lane Craig is the universal repellant. I heard once that some scientists put 1CC of his blood in the waters of one of the tributaries of the Amazon. The blood was so toxic that twenty years later prianha still avoided the river.

You have to admire his charismatic debating skills though, even though what he says it 'universally repellent'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

I also have to admit I saw Jernal mention WLC and never clicked the link. Bad Jernal!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Sarky wrote: »
    I also have to admit I saw Jernal mention WLC and never clicked the link. Bad Jernal!

I just saved you from Trauma. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

You have to admire his charismatic debating skills though, even though what he says it 'universally repellent'.
    I find him obnoxious and dishonest, in approximately equal measure and listening to him is like hearing a concert pianist who went mad and now believes that banging the keyboard is a substitute for music.

If I could admire sophistry, I'm sure I'd enjoy WC.

Advertisement