Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Holly Trees

• 23-11-2013 6:27pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40

Hi
    I noticed that there is a lot of holly at the bottom of my field which still have berries on it. Does anyone know how long the berries would stay on the branch if it was cut?? I would cut it now if i knew in case the birds will have it gone in the next week or so.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

Hi
    I noticed that there is a lot of holly at the bottom of my field which still have berries on it. Does anyone know how long the berries would stay on the branch if it was cut?? I would cut it now if i knew in case the birds will have it gone in the next week or so.

If you store it correctly, the berries will last till christmas. If you cut them and leave them indoors or out, they will fall off in 2 weeks.

You need to store them in an airtight contaner like a barrel or a tank and put each branch into the storage in layers - you have to pad between the layers with rushes or straw :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

or put a net over them so the bird cant get them until u want them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

The birds need the berries more than you do:)

If you have to cut the tree go easy with saw. Very fond of holly, beautiful tree

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

some of the holly trees produce berries that must be sweeter than others, as I have seen some stripped in a few hours and others left until the bitter end. I was just suggesting netting off some of the berries, what u need like.

Advertisement