Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aggressive previous tenant!

Options
  • 23-11-2013 7:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭

Hi everyone,

I'm at a loss of what to do in my situation.

I moved into my house in July (renting) and ever since then the previous tenant has called over once of twice a week to collect his post.

I told him I could forward or on to him but he said no. He left me a phone number to call if post came for him and I foolishly thought that if I called him when post came that he would only come then but no luck, still 1-2 times per week.

Some history- the family are in the traveller community and the landlord told me that they left in the middle of the night with the house in a state and the bills unpaid. They had a caravan parked in the driveway and I'm assuming this is where they are living now and why they cant get post delivered?

My main problem is this- the post appears to be from social welfare and I'm afraid he is still using this address to get the dole, rent supp etc. He is also getting packages delivered here with god knows what in them.

Ive told the landlord but all she suggested was that she would call him even though he hasn't answered to her in months. Getting the Garda or social welf isnt an option for me either as he is quite aggressive and i think it would annoy him more than anything and I feel quite intimidated by him. The Garda are also reluctant to get involved with that community.

He called over once but there was no post here but it was clear he didn't believe me and got very close to my face almost inside the house and it really frightened me.

Ive told the postman that he's no longer at this address so there is no more post but he still comes constantly. I don't answer the door but he rings the doorbell constantly and knocks on all the windows. Then he drives up and down outside and knocks and rings again. I'm in this house on my own and I don't know what to do.

I'm afraid and sick of having to have my blinds closed and hiding in my own house.

What can I do? I'm considering moving :(

Sorry for the long post, thank for any help!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,687 ✭✭✭whippet

you can contact the social welfare and explain that they no longer live at the address; you can try and reason with the chap and talk with An Post ... but outside of that there is practically nothing that you can do.

Unfortunately there is are people who are not accountable to anyone and will not conform to social norms ... .sounds like this lad is one of them. By the sounds of it you will get no joy with this fella as he obviously is part of a social grouping who believe that they can do what they like and operate in almost a parallel society ...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

Toss his post in the fire.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭Littlehorny

Tell him and your landlord they have a week to sort this address issue out or your going to the Gardai and make a formal complaint, tell your landlord its not on to have to put up with this harassement. Tell the traveller he can put a mailbox on the gate outside if he wants to use the address.

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭SimonLynch

After telling him you're going to do it write 'Not at this address - no forwarding address' on the envelopes and put them in the post box. Tell your local Garda station you're doing this, you're going to need to get them involved at some stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Rachineire

That is so stressful. I wouldn't feel comfortable living there. You need to start documenting times and dates he comes over or calls and show them to guards/land lord. There is collecting post and there is harassment! This guy has crossed the line big time and it sounds like he could be defrauding the swo if he is getting a lot of post there and is no longer residing there. That is all of our taxpayer money and he shouldn't be allowed to continue to abuse that.
    You need to let the landlord know how scared you are beginning to feel in the house and let her know if it continues you wont be able to continue living there. Make sure you contact threshold and the prtb to see where you stand concerning your contract and harassment from a previous tenant and inactivity from the landlord.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭newmug

Just move. Messing with this nkackers post will only bring more hardship on you. Life's too short.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Oh dear you poor thing.

Suggestion:
    Talk to An Post about this situation. Plus the Social Welfare.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

Bajee wrote: »
    Well firstly grow a pair and stop being a wuss. Put the post back in the post box clearly marked "no longer at this address"

Aren't you the big man?

Next time he calls tell him the guards are constantly calling to the house looking him, that should keep.him.away!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

Tell the traveller he can put a mailbox on the gate outside if he wants to use the address.

Don't do that, it will give him more reason to hang around, and it's not up to you to solve his problems. Ring the post office first and ask if there's some way to stop the mail at the sorting office (don't let them start pushing you to find an alternative address, it's not your job). If they can't do anything, just write "no longer at this address" on everything and drop it in a letter box, and tell him there's nothing there if he asks. If parcels are being delivered, refuse delivery. Contact the gardaí as well, and let them know how often he's calling, and the fact that you feel threatened by the frequency of his visits.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Well firstly grow a pair and stop being a wuss. Put the post back in the post box clearly marked "no longer at this address"

Your not gonna last long here....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭conor2469

Next time he calls to the house answer the door like it was anyone else inquiring at door. Let him know that you have told the postman that the person whose name is on those letters no longer live here and that as a result no more of his post will ever arrive at the address. Tell him that he will have to contact the post office in future as they won't be arriving here. He can mouth-breath, shout and intimidate all he wants but nothing will change the fact that his post will no longer be delivered there.
    Hopefully he'll be able to understand this. Don't let him intimidate you, he won't do anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

Also ask the landlord to fit a good chain on the front and back doors, and keep it on if you decide to answer the door to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭Littlehorny

Thoie wrote: »
    Don't do that, it will give him more reason to hang around, and it's not up to you to solve his problems. Ring the post office first and ask if there's some way to stop the mail at the sorting office (don't let them start pushing you to find an alternative address, it's not your job). If they can't do anything, just write "no longer at this address" on everything and drop it in a letter box, and tell him there's nothing there if he asks. If parcels are being delivered, refuse delivery. Contact the gardaí as well, and let them know how often he's calling, and the fact that you feel threatened by the frequency of his visits.

I know your dead right, it was only an idea to keep the f***er from coming to the door and to make the op feel a little safer if he/she doesn't get this sorted in the next few weeks or doesn't feel tough to tell the traveler that the mail is going to be refused from now on.

Next time he calls tell him the guards are constantly calling to the house looking him, that should keep.him.away!

Quite a good suggestion actually...

I don't know if you are male or female.

But do you have a big strong confident friend who could be there when he next calls to support you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

Considering you're getting letters for him from the SWO it shouldn't be much of a challenge getting his personal details :

https://www.welfare.ie/en/Pages/secure/ReportFraud.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Zara23

I've told the postman that they are no longer living here so I'm not getting the post anymore but I haven't told him.

The reason is that I suggested I would do this for him and forward it on and he said 'no, I'll just keep collecting it here.'

If I tell him I did this I honestly think he will get really angry.
    And if his dole gets cut off because he's no longer at this address he will put 2 and 2 together. Then he would probably get even more aggravated.

I really am considering moving but I have a year's lease.

Can the Garda actually do anything? Its my experience that they don't like to get involved with travellers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭Cunning Stunt

amdublin wrote: »

But do you have a big strong confident friend who could be there when he next calls to support you?

Yeah this could be a good solution if you have some 'heavies' who can answer the door next time the guy calls and they can make it clear that he is not welcome.
    (I am not recommending violence here but just hoping that when he sees them he will cop himself on.) Maybe half the reason he hasn't left you alone by now is he knows that you are on your own and he is playing on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭SimonLynch

Zara23 wrote: »
    I've told the postman that they are no longer living he not getting the post anymore but I haven't told him.

The reason is that I suggested I would do this for him and forward it on and he said 'no, I'll just keep collecting it here.'

And if his dole gets cut off because he's no longer at this address he will put 2 and 2 together. Then he would probably get even more aggravated.

re so I'm
    Can the Garda actually do anything? Its my experience that they don't like to get involved with travellers.

I'd think you should call into your local Garda station and tell them all this. If his mail's being returned without warning it'll be causing him all kinds of problems next week.

Yeah this could be a good solution if you have some 'heavies' who can answer the door next time the guy calls and they can make it clear that he is not welcome.

If you do that you should move out before he comes back again cause next time he'll come with his 'cousins'.

Really really terrible idea to go down that road with fella's like this.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 132 ✭✭Rewind one

Aren't you the big man?

This......So obviously this!!!!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 78,416 ✭✭✭✭Victor

aujopimur wrote: »
    Toss his post in the fire.
    This is a criminal offence. Constructive posts only please.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 132 ✭✭Rewind one

Or anytime he calls,you could ask him for money to buy milk for the babbee!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

I've told the postman that they are no longer living here so I'm not getting the post anymore but I haven't told him.

If another letter from Welfare arrives, send it back to the local Welfare Office. There's also a chance that he's getting Rent Allowance in trhe post. You should return one of those to the lcal CWO in the local Health Centre. All marked "No longer at this address"

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

Plan A: Go to the garda as other have suggested, tell them you are not happy to hold onto this persons mail. When he come looking for his post, Tell him where to find it.
    Plan B: Step 1. He arrives. Step 2. He Leaves. Step 3. Toss a kettle of boiling water out the window. Not sure I have the order right on plan B.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,416 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Insults not welcome
    Rewind one wrote: »
    Or anytime he calls,you could ask him for money to buy milk for the babbee!!!
    Stupidity not welcome
    Toss a kettle of boiling water out the window.

Advocating assault is not acceptable

newmug wrote: »
    nkackers
    No need for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Zara23

amdublin wrote: »

I'm female, 22 years old, I don't know if it would help because he's threatening in kind of a quite way if that makes sense.

Also, since he left in the middle of the night, I'm assuming he never left his keys back. Its clear the locks haven't been changed either. I'm starting work next week so won't be here as much, he could probably just let himself in if he wanted to!

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭disco1

Move out... This is bull.. You dont need it.
    I cant see him going away...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

I'm female, 22 years old, I don't know if it would help because he's threatening in kind of a quite way if that makes sense.

Also, since he left in the middle of the night, I'm assuming he never left his keys back. Its clear the locks haven't been changed either. I'm starting work next week so won't be here as much, he could probably just let himself in if he wanted to!

Zara contact the landlord and the gardai about this.
    The landlord to change the locks immediately and the gardai to put them on notice incase he does come back and tries anything funny.

• Advertisement

if you think that might be the case you need to check with the landlord and make it clear in no uncertain terms you want this sorted out immediately.

Advertisement