Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aggressive previous tenant!

Options
124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

beauf wrote: »
    Exactly. Couldn't agree more. I would also take photos of the locks and other things the LL hasn't fixed just in case. But I suspect that a LL so unwilling to do anything, isn't going to go to the bother of disputing this with the PRTB. Changing locks isn't going to fix your issues here.

Agreed. And i bet this landlord isn't even registered with the PRTB so couldn't take a case anyway.... I wouldnt usually agree with this but it is an exceptional circumtance. Always put your safety first OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

djimi wrote: »
    I wouldnt withhold rent (its never a good idea in case a dispute were to arise), but given the nature of the concerns for the tenants safety it might not be a bad idea to change the locks and deduct the cost from the rent. Notify the landlord in advance, in writing, of your intentions and of the reasons behind your actions, and keep receipts and a copy of the new key for them.

I often just wonder where the hell some people live because it aint in the real world.

People are getting hung up on changing the locks.
    IMHO the locks will make feck all difference at this stage to the safety and security of the tenant or indeed their belongings.
    By the sounds of it there is no mention of an alarm and listening to OP not sure on location of house, so might not be in housing estate or with close neighbours.

If this guy was using the address for social welfare fraud or God knows what else then shopping him may have cost him money.
    Even if not using it for anything dodgy he hasn't sounded the most reasonable to deal with.
    Then when the Gardaí had a chat with him that will p*** him off even more.
    If he was involved in intimidation before this, just to get his mail, then shure as hell he aint going to go mildly off into the night after being shopped.
    This ex tenant has no qualms about wrecking a place.

He will want to get even and no locks will guarantee the total security of the tenant.
    If something happens he will find 20 witnesses that will swear he was at home saying the rosary.

OP get out now.
    Get you stuff out now.
    You landlady couldn't give two fooks about you.

You can get some burly friend to stay for a while, but are they going to be there 24/7 or with you 24/7.

Forget about leases, try and get your deposit back if you can or get the value of it by not paying current rent due.
    Let the landlady try and follow you if she wants, but staying in that house is not worth your safety and sanity.

I have in the distant past been in a house where someone dodgy moved in and it became evident that they were probably dealing what with the amount of other dodgy types floating about at weird times.

The landlord had an idea what was going on but couldn't care less until the Gardaí and drugs squad started showing interest.

I didn't wait around until someone else solved the issue.
    I got out of Dodge as soon as possible and it lifted a hell of a load off my shoulders and meant I could get a decent nights sleep again.

I later heard after the guy was arested his buddies paid a visit and decided to remove as much as they could carry.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Whats so wrong with changing the locks? :confused: Its obviously not going to keep him out indefinitely if he really wants in, but if he has a key then why make it easier than it needs to be?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

Whats so wrong with changing the locks? :confused: Its obviously not going to keep him out indefinitely if he really wants in, but if he has a key then why make it easier than it needs to be?

Waste of time and money imo - someone who wants in will get in whatever way necessary.

No idea why the whole thread seems so hung up on changed locks. Changed locks wont make a blind bit of difference when he waits round the corner to accost the OP in person OUTSIDE the property.

Because it doesn't really solve the issue.
    The issue is the ex tenant who has no problem intimidating the current tenant even when not provoked.
    The current tenant is living in a home where she has the curtains/blinds drawn to avoid certain people.
    Is that a nice way to live ?

Changing the locks will not stop intimidation, harassement, destruction, or downright violence.
    It may make it a tiny bit more difficult, but by the sounds of it it is an old house and I bet the door could be easily kicked in anyway or a window easily smashed.

There are other thigns like will changing the locks prevent the tenant coming home to find the door handle smeared in excrement or excrement being left around the doors ?
    Sadly once heard of this being done.

I am sorry, but the tenant has been put in a position where she has had to deal with somebody who sounds quiet unsavoury and her landlady has done shag all to help.
    At this stage the only sound advise is get out.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Exactly. The locks is a red herring in this situation.

It would be different if there were 4 guys in the house. But the LL apathy to the OP in this situation is odd.

Maybe the guy won't come back. But why risk it. The LL doesn't sound like they'll fix anything in the house. So I'd leave on those ground alone.

Actually just thinking about this a little more and there are other questions that would make one want to get out.

The landlady complained about the ex tenant doing a runner at night and leaving the place in a mess but, how come he was there in the first place ?
    How come she rented to him in the first place ?
    Doesn't sound like she was too picky about her tenants and just saw euro signs.
    Of course maybe he put on a great show for her to rent it.

Then there was the fact she had no qualms about giving out keys to workmen to enter the house at any stage.
    Of course she may know the plumber really well, but that still doesn't excuse her allowing him carte blanch entry to the home of a young woman anytime he feels like it.
    Did the OP say something about her not wanting to pay a call out fee ?

Then she hemmed and hawwed when asked about changing the locks.
    If it was done she would definitely have just come out and said yes.

Even if there wasn't the ex tenant this landlady doesn't sound good to deal with and sounds like a penny pincher who just wants the money and nothing else.

Fecking hell the more I think about it, maybe the ex tenant felt he got shafted by the landlady and that is the root cause of his issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

While I broadly agree with you, checking a tenants reference can be impossible, If they want to scam you they'll have this set up in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

Zara23 wrote: »
    Every time I speak to her about it, she keeps bringing up the fact that they left with rent and bills unpaid and robbed eveything out of the house (i mean everything, pictures off the wall, sheets, even the coal bunker!) She says this in a way like she had to deal with that, so ill have to deal with this.
    Can you imagine any other service provider telling you sob stories like this? A hotel manager for instance. She's running a business, she failed to do proper due diligence on her tenants, hopefully she has learned a lesson but it's not your problem. It's highly unprofessional of her to burden you with this rubbish.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

I would get out now life is too short for this carry on,but before you do i would inform welfare about him,i am no fan of ratting but this scumbag deserves everything he gets

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13 becklyncho

Thoie wrote: »
    Also ask the landlord to fit a good chain on the front and back doors, and keep it on if you decide to answer the door to him.

just came across this post did you know you can get panic sensor chains for doors- it is based on the principal that the door can sense your panic and a chain automatically tries to lock the door??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

I would get out now life is too short for this carry on,but before you do i would inform welfare about him,i am no fan of ratting but this scumbag deserves everything he gets

You are definitely not alone in your thoughts on "ratting" "Snitching" on someone to a state institution but because of this awful Irish attitude towards law breakers the scumbags will always have the upper hand.

OP you should tell the landlady that you will have to move into a B&B until she changes the locks and that you will be going to the PRTB to have her pay for your stay there, Also tell her that the repairs must be done asap or you will be giving your notice and will expect all of your deposit returned when you leave.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Move out OP and don't give any consideration to the landlord, she hasn't shown any to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

becklyncho wrote: »
    just came across this post did you know you can get panic sensor chains for doors- it is based on the principal that the door can sense your panic and a chain automatically tries to lock the door??

What if I wasn't panicking and my hands were just a bit sweaty?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

becklyncho wrote: »
    petes wrote: »
    What if I wasn't panicking and my hands were just a bit sweaty?

My doors are uncaring bastards and mock my panic :( Should never have given them sentience.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Zara23

I'm looking out for houses but I'm waiting to hear from threshold about whether I will be entitled to my desposit back.

I know it seems like a trivial issue compared to my safety but I haven't anywhere else to go and I really can't afford to forfeit it.

Its just one thing after another with this house and I'd really like to get out.

Did I mention that the day I moved in (after packing up the car and travelling 5 hours) there was no electricity in the house?
    LL said she had no idea why and didn't even know who the current provider was as previous tenants must have changed. No one could do anything as it was after 6 on a Friday so went the weekend without electricity.
    When someone from esb came out on Monday, he said some special fuse had been removed from the external meter box. Man from esb said that someone probably knicked it as disconnection was never ordered and even if it was, that's not how they disconnect.

I can't imagine what use that fuse would be to someone livig in a caravan but was probably his last revenge.

In retrospect, I guess the writing was on the wall from the start!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,628 ✭✭✭Femme_Fatale

Hey Zara,

You're doing the right thing by moving out. I know people might say why should YOU have to move out because of someone else's behaviour, and I'd agree if you were living there a long time, but you're not there long enough to have settled fully and build ties to the place, so remember you don't own the place and it's ultimately not your problem to have to be sorting.

Best of luck. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

Waste of time and money imo - someone who wants in will get in whatever way necessary.

No idea why the whole thread seems so hung up on changed locks. Changed locks wont make a blind bit of difference when he waits round the corner to accost the OP in person OUTSIDE the property.

Obviously changing the locks is not the be all and end all. But it seems many of you are also not living in the real world. Most burglars DO NOT break windows etc. They simply snap your lock or use a good bump key. So yes, I would say not just the OP but ALL OF YOU could do with changing (upgrading) your front and back door locks to anti-bump and anti-snap. It takes less than 15 seconds to get through most locks, especially ISEO (which is on many sliding & patio doors for instance). Intruders do not want to attract attention. Having the proper key is no doubt even better than snapping the lock or bumping the lock. @djimi is right. In this situation, locks should be changed but obviously moving out should be a higher priority. Minimise the risks, check with Threshold and get on with it and move on to a life of growth.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

foggy_lad wrote: »
    You are definitely not alone in your thoughts on "ratting" "Snitching" on someone to a state institution but because of this awful Irish attitude towards law breakers the scumbags will always have the upper hand.

OP you should tell the landlady that you will have to move into a B&B until she changes the locks and that you will be going to the PRTB to have her pay for your stay there, Also tell her that the repairs must be done asap or you will be giving your notice and will expect all of your deposit returned when you leave.

Exactly. OP, the PRTB can act on your behalf once you register an issue. The LL not being registered is never an issue for your case. Only for the LL. They get hit twice as hard. That in itself is very good leverage with the LL to draw a line under this and stay below the radar of the PRTB if they so wish. Or come to their attention. Yes, there have been delays in the past with the PRT but they have real teeth; as some LLs have found out to their misfortune. A good LL has nothing to fear from the PRTB (well, not much. Its skewed in favour of tenants IMO but at least its 3rd party).

Advertisement