Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help with dog pulling on lead

2»

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

As a matter of interest Ashbx, what brand was that harness? Some are most definitely better than others.
    I generally find that a good front-connection harness will stop, or almost completely stop about 70% of pullers. The other 30% are dogs who continue to pull but are far more manageable and consequently easier to train to walk without pulling, but within that 30% is a small subset of dogs that keep on chugging away! It is a small number of dogs though. The front-connectors are definitely worth a try.
    If people opt for the headcollar, it's really important to spend a bit of time getting your dog used to it, because wayyyy too many dogs hate them due to being compelled to wear them without acclimatising to them. And of course, as with the harness there are some brands that just fit better than others without twisting, and without riding up into the dog's eyes. I cringe when I see dogs looking so uncomfortable in a headcollar!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

DBB wrote: »
    I cringe when I see dogs looking so uncomfortable in a headcollar!

Or with a headcollar and flexi combo! >_<

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Ashbx

As a matter of interest Ashbx, what brand was that harness? Some are most definitely better than others.
    I generally find that a good front-connection harness will stop, or almost completely stop about 70% of pullers. The other 30% are dogs who continue to pull but are far more manageable and consequently easier to train to walk without pulling, but within that 30% is a small subset of dogs that keep on chugging away! It is a small number of dogs though. The front-connectors are definitely worth a try.
    If people opt for the headcollar, it's really important to spend a bit of time getting your dog used to it, because wayyyy too many dogs hate them due to being compelled to wear them without acclimatising to them. And of course, as with the harness there are some brands that just fit better than others without twisting, and without riding up into the dog's eyes. I cringe when I see dogs looking so uncomfortable in a headcollar!

Oh I know! I used to use a head collar on my border terrier and with such a small nose I found it very hard to get a head collar that didn't ride up over her eyes but one that she also couldn't get out of! I finally used a Canny collar for her.

I think the harness was a Halti Harness. Don't get me wrong, I noticed a considerable difference. I agree that it would work for most dogs but for serious pullers, I do think more intense training is required rather than just letting the harness do the quick work for you.

TK123 - Don't get me wrong, I do try very hard training my dogs but when you bring the dogs for 2/3 walks a day 365 days a year, sometimes my arm and shoulders actually need a quick fix for the time being. I wont begin to tell you how much money I have spent on trainers and training classes. My border terrier used to be a bad puller also but I worked EXTREMELY hard for her to heel. She doesn't quite heel but doesn't pull anymore - only took 4 years!! :D I used every harness, collar and head collar for Chip so I knew exactly what I had to do with Phoebe. Trust me, not a day goes past that I don't do some sort of training with my dogs and heeling is usually top of the list.

Ashbx wrote: »
    I finally used a Canny collar for her.

Definitely one of the better ones for not bunching up into the eyes!
    I think the harness was a Halti Harness. Don't get me wrong, I noticed a considerable difference. I agree that it would work for most dogs but for serious pullers, I do think more intense training is required rather than just letting the harness do the quick work for you.

I've said it before and I'll say it again :)
    Out of all the front connection harnesses, the Halti harness trails a long way behind the better brands in terms of performance. I'm not fond of them all because of it. I'm only saying this for anyone else who comes upon this thread.
    I am guilty of not driving home the importance of training along with using a good front-connection harness, simply because to me, it's implicit.... But I probably should not assume that it is to everyone! No doubt about it, a good front-connection harness makes the training quite a lot easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Ashbx

Definitely one of the better ones for not bunching up into the eyes!

I've said it before and I'll say it again :)
    Out of all the front connection harnesses, the Halti harness trails a long way behind the better brands in terms of performance. I'm not fond of them all because of it. I'm only saying this for anyone else who comes upon this thread.
    I am guilty of not driving home the importance of training along with using a good front-connection harness, simply because to me, it's implicit.... But I probably should not assume that it is to everyone! No doubt about it, a good front-connection harness makes the training quite a lot easier.

I was impatient and didn't want to wait to order one online so I went to my local petshop and all they had was the halti one.

Maybe I will try one of the other brands then. As I said, I really did think it made a difference but with the chaffing, it just wasn't worth it. I do like the head collar but its quite difficult to manage if walking both dogs at the same time.

What are the ones you suggest? I know Freedom and Easy Walk were mentioned on previous threads/posts.

• Advertisement

Ashbx wrote: »
    What are the ones you suggest? I know Freedom and Easy Walk were mentioned on previous threads/posts.

I like the Easy Walk, haven't tried the Freedom. The SoftTouch ones are good too, but a bit pricier :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

I like the Easy Walk, haven't tried the Freedom. The SoftTouch ones are good too, but a bit pricier :)

If you want to try a freedom pop down anytime, I got one in every size. :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

If you want to try a freedom pop down anytime, I got one in every size. :-)

That reads like DBB will try one on for size lol! :pac: They're much better than easy walk or the sensi ones aren't they? Well I think they are lol! :o Even looking thru old photos of Bailey I can tell he's wearing a sensi one because it's so low down on his legs compared to the Freedom one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

tk123 wrote: »
    That reads like DBB will try one on for size lol! :pac: They're much better than easy walk or the sensi ones aren't they? Well I think they are lol! :o Even looking thru old photos of Bailey I can tell he's wearing a sensi one because it's so low down on his legs compared to the Freedom one.

they do seem to fit better alright, it's a different design to the easy walk or the sensible, I also like the martingale strap on the back attachment, the inventor was saying that it's designed to work like a t touch strap, applying a calming pressure rather than a restriction.

Advertisement