Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Verbally Assaulted for Not Donating to Charity in Limerick

• 23-11-2013 7:57pm

so my brother & I were in town today and we were going into Arthur's key in town and at the front door were 3 girls collect for some cancer society and were asked if we wanted to donate.

I said no thanks and she started roaring & shouting telling me there no going to get better by saying no thank you.

:mad: excuse me but insist my business if I give to a charity or not.

even if I had it I wouldn't all those so called charity's pay there CEO big money company cars etc.

there so annoying outside Penny's & Eason as well

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭Flippyfloppy

even if I had it I wouldn't all those so called charity's pay there CEO big money company cars etc.

Too right. Unfortunately you can't be fully trusting these so called charities fully!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Once told on my doorstep by an animal charity I must hate dogs because I said no. I was unemployed, I'm a little more important that a dogs need at that time.

Too right. Unfortunately you can't be fully trusting these so called charities fully!!

its not like you can complain to the city council about so called charity outside shops can you ?

I will not shop in the city centre anymore

now as far as I know charity do collect in the crescent but they do not talk to people they wait for people to talk to them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,205 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

its not like you can complain to the city council about so called charity outside shops can you ?

I will not shop in the city centre anymore

now as far as I know charity do collect in the crescent but they do not talk to people they wait for people to talk to them

Because some little girl shouted at you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Galway K9

Beer Baron wrote: »
    Once told on my doorstep by an animal charity I must hate dogs because I said no. I was unemployed, I'm a little more important that a dogs need at that time.

Oh that's not surprising....I was donating to Dogs Trust monthly and a children's society came around to my door and asked to donate, I said I can't afford as paying 1 charity already. he replied " you'll support a dog but not a child"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭Marcus Halberstram

I saw these girls acting aggressively too. One had long blonde hair. Thinking about it now I have suspicions that they were not genuine charity collectors.

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭golden8

why dont you report them to the charity that they were collecting money. Also they require a licence from the Gardai to collect on the street.

I saw these girls acting aggressively too. One had long blonde hair. Thinking about it now I have suspicions that they were not genuine charity collectors.

yes the long blonde hair girl was the one that assaulted me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Birdie086

Beer Baron wrote: »

This happened to me as well. I had been made redundant at the time and was struggling big time with mortgage, bills etc, and I said this to the chugger at my door, I was told I would be repsonsible for the deaths of children!!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,278 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

This is a typical tactic by chuggers to try and shame you into giving money through embarrassment as they get paid to collect money.

I play them at their own game and raise my voice but in a calm manner back at them and explain I already donate to charities and if they keep making a scene I will report them to the Gardaí for harassment.

You could also make a complaint to the management of the shop they are outside, I'm sure they would clear them off if they were made aware of what impact these type of tactics could have on their trade.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭irritablebaz

if i'm not in a charitable mood i dont even make eye contact let alone give them any sort of reply. replying even in an apologetic way just gives them a hook.

as for them knocking on doors we should get the no hawkers signs going again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭Marcus Halberstram

I think this was a scam.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Next time kindly (and loudly) inform them that they are free to collect from those who wish to approach them, but that solicitation (that's asking you for money) is illegal. Also, if any of those pains in the ass with clipboards get in your way inform them that "impeding the progress of another person" is an offence for which they can be prosecuted.

I know it's hassle, but it is worthwhile to make complaints to this effect to the Gardaí naming the charity involved. That way they have a record, therefore a reason to refuse that charity a licence to collect next time they apply.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭johndaman66

ninty9er wrote: »
    Also, if any of those pains in the ass with clipboards get in your way inform them that "impeding the progress of another person" is an offence for which they can be prosecuted.

Thankfully much fewer of them about than a few years back. Absolutely no harm. At one stage they were just a downright plague. Had the streets ruined for city shoppers if you ask me.

I was verbally assaulted by a guy collecting money outside the post office in Limerick about 5/ 6 years back. Furthermore I was followed up the street by him. Took refuge in a chemist for fear of my safety. He moved onto collecting outside Aurthrs Quay pretty pronto after that. As I had parked outside the post office and he seen me getting out of the car I moved it for fear he would come back and vandalise it. Looking at the guy and his behaviour I would have had serious doubts whether all the money he was collecting was going where it should

Also as I recall he was collecting for the Mellon Township. One of the many charities I'd have serious doubt over how genuine they are in the first place...I'll probably be slated from certain quarters for that comment but there you go thats my opinion, I'm entitled to it and standing by it.

I know I'm ranting on here but my other pet hate is packing bags and collecting at the checkouts of Dunnes/ Tesco. Its pretty much a case of intimidating people into giving money and just should not be allowed by management of them stores. I'd even go as far as saying its backwards and if a foreigner who was not accustomed to the country saw it they would probably be saying to themselves WTF. The GAA nuts can support the likes of Ahane GAA or whoever besides every Tom, Dick and Harry being intimidated into giving to them when doing their shopping

I may be coming across as uncharitable but I will give with a heart and a half to genuine charities such as SVP or Search and Rescue for example. I just don't like the idea of being approached and almost bullied or intimidated into giving money like that, its not right

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

I was in a supermarket a few months ago and I was paying by card and had literally no change on me whatsoever other than a 10cent coin.

I didn't particularly want help packing my bags, and this overzealous charity bag packer was grabbing random items and stuffing them into bags : mushrooms in with the bleach that kind of thing.

Anyway, I got to the end and I was going to throw in a few coins (nothing much but, just a token) and discovered that I'd only 10cent. So, I threw that in and the charity bagger got really rude with me.

The checkout manager saw her doing it and asked her to leave the store saying that any harassing or insulting comments to customers would result in the being asked to leave and any further events being cancelled! She was really on the ball.
    Not only that, she apologised to me and gave me a €5 voucher!

^^^In this day and age them guys should just be turfed outside the door. Its downright backward. Sorry now but GAA and basketball clubs are not charitable organisations. Their true fans who speak so highly of them can support them.

Fair play to the checkout manager there. She handled the situation very well in my opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

^^^In this day and age them guys should just be turfed outside the door. Its downright backward. Sorry now but GAA and basketball clubs are not charitable organisations. Their true fans who speak so highly of them can support them.

Fair play to the checkout manager there. She handled the situation very well in my opinion.

Hate that too, "oh St Michaels all girls under 12's something or other shport team are going to a skiing trip in France" go fcuk yourself, let your parents pay for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Crea

There was some national school doing bag packing in Dunnes, Parkway last week. It drives me mad - I already give donations to my own school and now i'm expected to give to schools that have nothing to do with me. These should definitely not be allowed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭padma

A simple no, has always i mean always worked for me, I also used to fundraise for a living twelve thirteen years ago became a manager in it too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭Jofspring

In fairness to a lot of bag packers while they can be an annoyance a lot of clubs are struggling to survive in a lot of codes and fundraising in anyway possible is vital.

The fundraising for trips and things like that is a bit much, as mentioned above if you want to go on a trip get the parents to pay or don't go, but fundraising to help running costs for clubs I see no problem with.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭doublej

The real problem regarding bag packing is that people feel compelled or obliged to pay for something that they don't ordinarily have to pay for.
    Neither Tesco or Dunnes provide this service any longer because it both slows down their conveyor belt attitude to Service and it is also considered to be best done by the customer in accordance with their preferences.
    There is a danger that the supermarket will actually lose business if they persist with regularity in giving voluntary bodies permission to fundraiser via bag packing.
    People hate confrontation; they go out of their way to avoid it. If they feel obligated through an implied "duty" to pay these people for a service they neither want nor need then they may choose to shop elsewhere .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭crazygeryy

Crea wrote: »
    There was some national school doing bag packing in Dunnes, Parkway last week. It drives me mad - I already give donations to my own school and now i'm expected to give to schools that have nothing to do with me. These should definitely not be allowed.

Then don't give it.
    It's not a question of not being allowed, they have to raise money somehow.
    Just dont give it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭hsianloon

I tell them I already pay a few hundred monthly for the social tax.

• Site Banned Posts: 99 ✭✭untouchable

padma wrote: »
    A simple no, has always i mean always worked for me, I also used to fundraise for a living twelve thirteen years ago became a manager in it too.

fundraising especially charity fundraising should not be a career. i dont know if you did it for chairty or for skiing trips for posh kids but anyone who treats fundraising it as a career is the reason that people dont like charity. if you want to raise funds for charity thats fine but if your profiting then why should i "donate"

no doesnt ALWAYS work

That is an opinion, you have the choice of looking at it from a different angle. A one off fundraise for a certain appeal is very good for that appeal. Though a lot of charities work is broad and what may be popular for a period ie, typhoon in the phillipines there may be thousands of other projects that need on going support. That is why some people like to support on an ongoing basis. The only way to increase regular giving is by having a full time dedicated team to bring that support in.

So, instead of fundraising once off for an appeal, some guys out there fundraise continuously, it is a tough job. I agree there are certainly pirates in it for the money, but who works for free? they deserve a wage. For some people it may have started off as a vocation where you get paid meaning you can still pay your bills but at the same time be helping others.

I worked directly for a charity for 6 years where I moved in to a more senior role. The charities status jumped massively in that time and their budget increased helping them to become a thousands time better in their chosen field, precisely because they had a team of full time fundraisers.

• Site Banned Posts: 99 ✭✭untouchable

That is an opinion, you have the choice of looking at it from a different angle. A one off fundraise for a certain appeal is very good for that appeal. Though a lot of charities work is broad and what may be popular for a period ie, typhoon in the phillipines there may be thousands of other projects that need on going support. That is why some people like to support on an ongoing basis. The only way to increase regular giving is by having a full time dedicated team to bring that support in.

So, instead of fundraising once off for an appeal, some guys out there fundraise continuously, it is a tough job. I agree there are certainly pirates in it for the money, but who works for free? they deserve a wage. For some people it may have started off as a vocation where you get paid meaning you can still pay your bills but at the same time be helping others.

I worked directly for a charity for 6 years where I moved in to a more senior role. The charities status jumped massively in that time and their budget increased helping them to become a thousands time better in their chosen field, precisely because they had a team of full time fundraisers.

but a charity should never be a business

charity (definition) - the voluntary giving of help, typically in the form of money, to those in need.

to profit from people that are suffering is wrong. people are starving halfway across the globe. so should i go out and start a charity where i collect on the street except i make sure i give myself a healthy salary from teh collections first?? if i choose to volunteer my time then i should not expect to make a salary.

companies who are notorious for this rubbish are the likes of concern. i cant even give them a few quid in the shopping center on a one off. instead i must give them my bank details so i can commit to giving regular payments. all the while their admin staff are in a very healthy financial state.

as for saying that people fundraise continually thats fine but again why should you profit from it?

local charities i have no problem with. the local volonteer groups that are out there that need equipment that is something ill get behind. the limerick animal welfare who need funding to keep their lights on and feed the animals i will help out. but multi national companies who seek to profit from the generosity of the public is disgusting.

the people in this country have always been helpful and kind in regards to charity but people in your old line of work leave a bitter taste because it was your job to con people into paying your salary.

i dont mean you in particular as i dont know you from adam and i dont know if you where working for any "charities" that seeked profit. i am talking about the sociopaths that did.

but a charity should never be a business

charity (definition) - the voluntary giving of help, typically in the form of money, to those in need.

to profit from people that are suffering is wrong. people are starving halfway across the globe. so should i go out and start a charity where i collect on the street except i make sure i give myself a healthy salary from teh collections first?? if i choose to volunteer my time then i should not expect to make a salary.

companies who are notorious for this rubbish are the likes of concern. i cant even give them a few quid in the shopping center on a one off. instead i must give them my bank details so i can commit to giving regular payments. all the while their admin staff are in a very healthy financial state.

as for saying that people fundraise continually thats fine but again why should you profit from it?

local charities i have no problem with. the local volonteer groups that are out there that need equipment that is something ill get behind. the limerick animal welfare who need funding to keep their lights on and feed the animals i will help out. but multi national companies who seek to profit from the generosity of the public is disgusting.

the people in this country have always been helpful and kind in regards to charity but people in your old line of work leave a bitter taste because it was your job to con people into paying your salary.

i dont mean you in particular as i dont know you from adam and i dont know if you where working for any "charities" that seeked profit. i am talking about the sociopaths that did.

You seem to hold very strong opinions about how a charity should operate. They are a good view but very old fashioned. The only ones I could possibly see operating like this are the ones that used to be run by the church or by very small charities that have maybe one or two small projects happening or else are run solely by retirees or very wealthy housewives (excuse the stereotype).

If you were an engineer (for example) and your skills were needed to head a water and sanitation project in a slum in Bangladesh, so off you went and volunteered for 6 months and got the job done. Great that is good stuff fair play to you, pat on the back and all that. Off you go home to your kids and family and back to a job with 70,000 a year.

Then you have another guy who is an engineer and wants to spend their life out in the field, of course he should get paid, he is a professional, he has to pay his bills back home and live.

Charities have to be run like a business otherwise they will not be as successful as they possibly could be, you need accountants, you need skilled professionals, you need administrators, you need doctors, nurses, Marketing professionals etc. People who are skilled to deal with whatever the charities operations are and you need fundraisers to make it happen.

When you talk about these charities being a multi-national for profit business you are falsely brandishing their reputation. They are NGO's who do some amazing work in some of the harshest conditions on this planet. Of course they should be paid a wage that suits the job.

The sad thing is that we the public are the ones who have to give this money as all the multi-nationals, banks and governments couldn't give a toss or else just don't have the will to see our neighbours as fellow human beings who might need help.

You don't have to give to them, a simple no works, if you feel they are aggressive look at their name badge take their details and discuss your experience with that fundraiser to the charity. It would be better than complaining on the internet as at least you talk directly about that individual to the charity.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭Flippyfloppy

You seem to hold very strong opinions about how a charity should operate. They are a good view but very old fashioned. The only ones I could possibly see operating like this are the ones that used to be run by the church or by very small charities that have maybe one or two small projects happening or else are run solely by retirees or very wealthy housewives (excuse the stereotype).

If you were an engineer (for example) and your skills were needed to head a water and sanitation project in a slum in Bangladesh, so off you went and volunteered for 6 months and got the job done. Great that is good stuff fair play to you, pat on the back and all that. Off you go home to your kids and family and back to a job with 70,000 a year.

Then you have another guy who is an engineer and wants to spend their life out in the field, of course he should get paid, he is a professional, he has to pay his bills back home and live.

Charities have to be run like a business otherwise they will not be as successful as they possibly could be, you need accountants, you need skilled professionals, you need administrators, you need doctors, nurses, Marketing professionals etc. People who are skilled to deal with whatever the charities operations are and you need fundraisers to make it happen.

When you talk about these charities being a multi-national for profit business you are falsely brandishing their reputation. They are NGO's who do some amazing work in some of the harshest conditions on this planet. Of course they should be paid a wage that suits the job.

The sad thing is that we the public are the ones who have to give this money as all the multi-nationals, banks and governments couldn't give a toss or else just don't have the will to see our neighbours as fellow human beings who might need help.

You don't have to give to them, a simple no works, if you feel they are aggressive look at their name badge take their details and discuss your experience with that fundraiser to the charity. It would be better than complaining on the internet as at least you talk directly about that individual to the charity.

The thing is Padma, when we meet any of these 'successful' charities on the street or see their ads on tv, they don't openly say 'We need your sponsorship to fund our accountants & marketing exec'

Instead the big charities usually have imaging artwork involving poor African children or stories of simple illness like diarrhea devastating communities while funeral music plays in the background.

Nowhere do we see pictures of Andre, the marketing exec sitting at home wondering how he will pay this months bills.

I think the thing is padma, when we meet any of these successful charities on the street or see they're ads on tv, the my don't openly say 'we need your sponsorship to fund our accountants & marketing exec' instead the big charities usually have artwork involving poor African children or stories of simple illness like diarrhea devastating communities.

No where are there pictures of Andre, the marketing exec sitting at home wondering how he will pay this months bills.

But you have the public face of the poor misfortunate fundraiser with the scruffy clothes on the street.,

The more highly successful charities have built to become who they are after years in the business, the money you give will go to the people that they work for and of course wages and logistics etc. An example would be a 4x4 in their country of operation and so on and so forth, everything has costs. Of course how else would they operate?

• Advertisement

Jofspring wrote: »
    In fairness to a lot of bag packers while they can be an annoyance a lot of clubs are struggling to survive in a lot of codes and fundraising in anyway possible is vital.

The fundraising for trips and things like that is a bit much, as mentioned above if you want to go on a trip get the parents to pay or don't go, but fundraising to help running costs for clubs I see no problem with.

I strongly disagree with your points of view there. A pound to a penny you are involved in or at least have immediate family members who are involved in one of these clubs that plague people at the checkouts. I do sometimes wonder what peoples reactions would be if a less popular sport such as a shooting club or a car rallying team started the same caper at the checkouts. You can be damned sure and certain a lot more people would be speaking out...bearing in mind them clubs would be just as entitled to their day at the checkouts if the GAA/ basketball teams are...not that any of them are in the first place.

Sorry now but I see a moral hazard where exec's and directors of the GAA are creaming off if the clubs at grass root levels need to send young lads to checkouts to look for handouts from punters, many of whom are already just scraping by.

And yeah of course you don't need to give if you don't want to as has being mentioned. Maybe I'm just overly sensitive but I'd feel a bit of a dick to walk away without giving if one of them caught my bags and helped pack or even engaged me in conversation.

Advertisement