Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Verbally Assaulted for Not Donating to Charity in Limerick

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭Jofspring

I strongly disagree with your points of view there. A pound to a penny you are involved in or at least have immediate family members who are involved in one of these clubs that plague people at the checkouts. I do sometimes wonder what peoples reactions would be if a less popular sport such as a shooting club or a car rallying team started the same caper at the checkouts. You can be damned sure and certain a lot more people would be speaking out...bearing in mind them clubs would be just as entitled to their day at the checkouts if the GAA/ basketball teams are...not that any of them are in the first place.

Sorry now but I see a moral hazard where exec's and directors of the GAA are creaming off if the clubs at grass root levels need to send young lads to checkouts to look for handouts from punters, many of whom are already just scraping by.

And yeah of course you don't need to give if you don't want to as has being mentioned. Maybe I'm just overly sensitive but I'd feel a bit of a dick to walk away without giving if one of them caught my bags and helped pack or even engaged me in conversation.

Yes I am involved with a local football club that have fundraised through bag packing (and other means) but I don't see what the relevance really is to my point that some clubs need fundraising to survive. Whether I'm involved with a club or not I still think my point stands. While I have not been directly involved in this bag packing I have seen the accounts at the club and others also and lets just say without the fundraising like this the club would go to the wall. Most certainly at underage level as the older lads usually pay for themselves through memberships and match day fees for ref/washing of the gear. We aren't talking about money for days out or trips abroad. It's money to help it get by, for the basics like electricity, grass cutting, pitch lining, nets, balls, jerseys, training equipment, insurance, referees, affiliation fees etc….. Grants have been cut and a lot of parents are out of work so any money to help keep kids involved in sport or with a particular club is badly needed. It makes no difference whether it's Football, Rugby, GAA, Basketball, Tennis, Hockey etc….

There is most certainly no one profiteering from the club as all people involved do so on a total voluntary basis like 99% of football clubs in Limerick (and other codes I'm sure).

If I feel I don't want to give to the bag packers because I don't either agree with what they are fundraising for or find them just a nuisance with packing up my shopping then I go to a till where they aren't present. I can't remember the last time I went shopping and wasn't able to find a till with no bag packers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 485 ✭✭SoapMcTavish

"If I feel I don't want to give to the bag packers because I don't either agree with what they are fundraising for or find them just a nuisance with packing up my shopping then I go to a till where they aren't present. I can't remember the last time I went shopping and wasn't able to find a till with no bag packers."

I can remember - last saturday in Dunnes Childers road ... no packer-free checkouts open. And I always try to avoid em, mostly because I like to play bag-tetris and am particular about how shopping goes into bags. We normally spend €300 - €350 a week in Dunnes so there is a lot of stuff to be packed correctly. Hate finding fire lighters and bleach in a bag with uncooked chicken ... and that kinda stuff happens if not vigilant.

PITA really ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 419 ✭✭Pandiani

"I can remember - last saturday in Dunnes Childers road ... no packer-free checkouts open.

Dunnes in the jetland last Friday had no packer free check outs open either, told the woman I didn't need any help thanks, she wasn't too happy about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,287 ✭✭✭source

Jofspring wrote: »
    Yes I am involved with a local football club that have fundraised through bag packing (and other means) but I don't see what the relevance really is to my point that some clubs need fundraising to survive. Whether I'm involved with a club or not I still think my point stands. While I have not been directly involved in this bag packing I have seen the accounts at the club and others also and lets just say without the fundraising like this the club would go to the wall. Most certainly at underage level as the older lads usually pay for themselves through memberships and match day fees for ref/washing of the gear. We aren't talking about money for days out or trips abroad. It's money to help it get by, for the basics like electricity, grass cutting, pitch lining, nets, balls, jerseys, training equipment, insurance, referees, affiliation fees etc….. Grants have been cut and a lot of parents are out of work so any money to help keep kids involved in sport or with a particular club is badly needed. It makes no difference whether it's Football, Rugby, GAA, Basketball, Tennis, Hockey etc….

There is most certainly no one profiteering from the club as all people involved do so on a total voluntary basis like 99% of football clubs in Limerick (and other codes I'm sure).

If I feel I don't want to give to the bag packers because I don't either agree with what they are fundraising for or find them just a nuisance with packing up my shopping then I go to a till where they aren't present. I can't remember the last time I went shopping and wasn't able to find a till with no bag packers.

The thing about bag packing is, you're not giving people a choice. You're putting people, many of who are barely able to afford shopping in the first place, in a situation where they can't refuse.

I can choose to avoid the guy on the street with his little table, I can choose to avoid chuggers, I can't choose to avoid bag packers as they're at the end of every till, and they start packing your stuff before you've even gotten to the register.

I also fail to see why I should support a club I have no involvement with. I have very very little money and a growing family, I would like to not be made to feel cheap and rude because I'd rather keep my money for my family than five it to an organisation I have nothing to do with.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭overthebridge

Pandiani wrote: »
    Dunnes in the jetland last Friday had no packer free check outs open either, told the woman I didn't need any help thanks, she wasn't too happy about it.

I usually just smile at them and say "why don't you take a break there, I'll look after these"
    But I can see how people would be put off by it. You don't see this practise in Lidl or Aldi which is one of the reasons why they're both doing very well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭Jofspring

At the end of the day you don't have to give if you don't want. If you feel strongly enough about not wanting to donate to a club your not involved with then don't. If you feel obliged by the bag packers then maybe bring it to the attention of the store that you don't appreciate being made feel obliged. If dunnes or tesco don't leave any tills clear then that's surely something they should sort or make a condition for allowing packers in?

I was only in dunnes Jetland last week and managed to go to a till free from bag packers despite some being at others.

I too prefer to pack my own bags as you say and often just say I'll do it myself thanks. The most I would throw in to the collection is the little bit of change like 70 or 80 cents are I would think that is all that is wanted and appreciated.

I'm not arguing that they aren't annoying just showing there is a reason they are there. It's not to line some Chairman or CEOs pockets. I also agree that for certain things collections like that are ridiculous, such as trips away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭johndaman66

Pandiani wrote: »

Thats what I'm talking about. Even if I were to decline any offer of assistance I would feel bad about it with them just standing there beside me especially if they attempt to engage me in conversation as they so often do. Its almost like you are coerced into giving. Not blaming it on the individual collecting the money per se. I'd probably do the same if I were in their shoes besides standing there like a dummy. The blame is to be pointed at the store management. It is bad practice and quite frankly I'm surprised its allowed to continue.

Furthermore why should I go to a till with a longer queue at it in order to avoid giving to a GAA or basketball club or avoid the confrontation if I don't want to give...a club I've no affiliation with or may not have the money to spare even if I did have an affiliation with it.
    Jofspring wrote: »
    I'm not arguing that they aren't annoying just showing there is a reason they are there. It's not to line some Chairman or CEOs pockets.

Do you not see the moral hazard there in though? Yeah I'm sure the activity is not to line the pockets of some Chairman or CEO's pocket. But maybe the Chairman or CEO's pocket is being lined by other means to the detriment of members much lower in the food chain.

In my opinion there is something wrong if the higher management of these organisations are drawing juicy salaries and benefits and the members further down the food chain need to resort to extorting money out the general public to stay afloat...because thats what it is

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 308 ✭✭clint_eastman

bag packers now...seriously? ye don't have too much to be worrying yourselves if bag packers are causing ye this much angst... "juicy salaries", "extorting money", "creaming off"...the reason people go to Lidl and Aldi? WTF... a simple, thanks but I'd like to pack them myself will suffice...that way you can pack them how you like and you'll get to keep the 5 or 10 cent that they planned on extorting!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭crackcrack30

Bag packing.....meh

If I saw someone (charity group) picking litter or removing graffiti I would be more inclined to donate......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭padma

Bag packing.....meh

If I saw someone (charity group) picking litter or removing graffiti I would be more inclined to donate......

Generally people give to charities unconditionally.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭crackcrack30

padma wrote: »
    Generally people give to charities unconditionally.

As you can see I compared bag packing to cleaning......:rolleyes:
    , but "Generally" I usually like to have one or two conditions of my own....... such as that it is an actually charity or good cause rather than a trip to france or GAA type draw/lotto....& that the max amount of my donated money go's to the good cause rather than a good salary....& that I don't personaly like direct debits on my accounts ect.......I must be one of the exceptions to the general rule:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 526 ✭✭✭betonit

Birdie086 wrote: »
    This happened to me as well. I had been made redundant at the time and was struggling big time with mortgage, bills etc, and I said this to the chugger at my door, I was told I would be repsonsible for the deaths of children!!!!!!

what the chugger meant to say was " after my ceo gets paid their six figure salary fisrt and the rest of the directors, only then ... (as above)".

now we know why they are so aggressive, the company they work for has huge costs to cover before anyone needing it gets a cent.

Surely charitable (non profit)organizations are charitable by nature and that culture shpuld run through the organization. No one in a charity shpuld be getting 6 figures, that basically taking profit and calling it salary

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

betonit wrote: »
    what the chugger meant to say was " after my ceo gets paid their six figure salary fisrt and the rest of the directors, only then ... (as above)".

now we know why they are so aggressive, the company they work for has huge costs to cover before anyone needing it gets a cent.

Surely charitable (non profit)organizations are charitable by nature and that culture shpuld run through the organization. No one in a charity shpuld be getting 6 figures, that basically taking profit and calling it salary

Check out the below ad from the Irish Red Cross on jobs.ie that was in the Engineering/Manufacturing section!

http://www.jobs.ie/ApplyForJob.aspx?Id=1303465

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Miike

You can contact the Henry St. Garda station and have their permit pulled for that attitude and I suggest you do. If you're ever unsure of people collecting you can ask to see their permit also. I've done quite a bit of charity collections in across the country and I've been asked on many the occasion. I actually prefer to be asked before someone donates and it ensues a bit of trust in you and the charity you're trying help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 526 ✭✭✭betonit

CatFromHue wrote: »
    Check out the below ad from the Irish Red Cross on jobs.ie that was in the Engineering/Manufacturing section!

http://www.jobs.ie/ApplyForJob.aspx?Id=1303465

im talking about CEOs and directors

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭padma

Miike wrote: »
    <snip>.

I do believe you are wrong as the Irish Red Cross have just set up there OWN in house fundraising team, it is not an agency, agencies are the likes of Total fundraising, fmi etc etc.. Charlie walker the dude who is heading up the new in house fundraising team with Irish Aid is someone I personally know and not a bad skin at all at all. He will be able to save the red cross thousands by taking there fundraising in-house instead of using an agency.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

even if I had it I wouldn't all those so called charity's pay there CEO big money company cars etc.

I would disagree with this. I work for a national brain injury organisation, that operates a service in Limerick. All the money we collect in Limerick, goes directly back into the services we operate in Limerick.

Shamless plug, but we actually have a stall in the Milk Market today selling Christmas cards, calendars and scarves, which were all made by our service users. The money we raise from the stall today will go into running a conversation group for people with aphasia in the mid-west. We had to stop running it earlier in the year due to lack of funds.

I agree with bag packing though, I am not a fan of us doing this as a fundraiser as I think it puts people under pressure to donate.

• Site Banned Posts: 99 ✭✭untouchable

panda100 wrote: »
    I would disagree with this. I work for a national brain injury organisation, that operates a service in Limerick. All the money we collect in Limerick, goes directly back into the services we operate in Limerick.

Shamless plug, but we actually have a stall in the Milk Market today selling Christmas cards, calendars and scarves, which were all made by our service users. The money we raise from the stall today will go into running a conversation group for people with aphasia in the mid-west. We had to stop running it earlier in the year due to lack of funds.

I agree with bag packing though, I am not a fan of us doing this as a fundraiser as I think it puts people under pressure to donate.

so not 1 cent goes to collecters or funding?? if thats the case id be all for it but you know my stance on the whole brand that is charity plc.

was coming out of penny's today there so annoying and go as far as to reach there arm out to you

go away **** off

• Registered Users Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭Jimmy Garlic

^^^In this day and age them guys should just be turfed outside the door. Its downright backward. Sorry now but GAA and basketball clubs are not charitable organisations. Their true fans who speak so highly of them can support them.

Fair play to the checkout manager there. She handled the situation very well in my opinion.

It is in a supermarkets interest to not let these bagger beggers inside the door. I avoid Dunnes now precisely because of it. I do not want to support little Tommys extra-curricular activities and be glared at like I am the antichrist when I don't.

• Advertisement
Advertisement