Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Secondary School Recommendation

Options
  • 23-11-2013 8:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭

Hi all,

We are in Blackrock and have a 7 month old daughter and have been advised that we need to start looking at getting her name down for secondary schools (the mind boggles!).

So, we would appreciate any recommendations you might have in relation to good non fee paying secondary schools in the area.

Many thanks.

D.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Dubsey wrote: »
    Hi all,

We are in Blackrock and have a 7 month old daughter and have been advised that we need to start looking at getting her name down for secondary schools (the mind boggles!).

So, we would appreciate any recommendations you might have in relation to good non fee paying secondary schools in the area.

Many thanks.

D.

No, you don't. Whoever told you that is trying to panic you unnecessarily.

Besides, in 12 years time a school will be very different to.what it is now.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

No, you don't. Whoever told you that is trying to panic you unnecessarily.

Besides, in 12 years time a school will be very different to.what it is now.

As above, also lots of secondary schools won't even take names till the kid is in 5th class. It's the primary schools that you need to apply too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

ted1 wrote: »
    As above, also lots of secondary schools won't even take names till the kid is in 5th class. It's the primary schools that you need to apply too.

And bear in mind that your choice of primary school will influence your choice of secondary school so no harm in thinking ahead.

but off the top of my head Carysfort, Guardian Angels and Scoil Lorcain are all close by with options for Sion hill, Colaiste Iosagain and Rockford for secondary but I am sure as outlined above the secondary school landscape will be utterly changed in 12 years..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

Not in my experience. Muckross sent out offers of secondary places to parents of kids in 4th class this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

Dubsey wrote: »
    Hi all,

Many thanks.

D.

You are right to start looking now, no harm. If you go on the individual's school website you can read their admission policies and that will be able to give you some indication. Your choice of primary school will impact on your options for secondary school eg if you don't go to scoil lorcain your chances of getting into colaiste iosogain are slim to none. The same goes for newpark, without going to a feeder primary you won't get in. As for muckross you would need to get into st marys in donnybrook to get a spot. (Unless you already have a child who is in the school already!) I am due my first baby in January and will definately put down the name in a few places as he will be getting in on "the date application is received" as he is first child and none of my family went to the schools in question. Now I know the admissions policy may change between then and now but I am not taking chances. I am also a secondary school teacher in a non fee paying school in south county dublin and can tell you there are two lists already for sept 2024!!! I saw it with my own eyes!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Millem wrote: »
    You are right to start looking now, no harm. If you go on the individual's school website you can read their admission policies and that will be able to give you some indication. Your choice of primary school will impact on your options for secondary school eg if you don't go to scoil lorcain your chances of getting into colaiste iosogain are slim to none. The same goes for newpark, without going to a feeder primary you won't get in. As for muckross you would need to get into st marys in donnybrook to get a spot. (Unless you already have a child who is in the school already!) I am due my first baby in January and will definately put down the name in a few places as he will be getting in on "the date application is received" as he is first child and none of my family went to the schools in question. Now I know the admissions policy may change between then and now but I am not taking chances. I am also a secondary school teacher in a non fee paying school in south county dublin and can tell you there are two lists already for sept 2024!!! I saw it with my own eyes!

The rules are due to change soon and they are getting rid of feeder schools. so your choice of primary school won't affect your choice of secondary schools. The head master in Scoil lorcain told me that and Colasite Iosgan deffo do not take names before 5th class.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

The rules are due to change soon and they are getting rid of feeder schools. so your choice of primary school won't affect your choice of secondary schools. The head master in Scoil lorcain told me that and Colasite Iosgan deffo do not take names before 5th class.

I know the Minister wants to change the rules but I am still not leaving it to chance! A lot of schools are not happy with it as they feel they should be able to set their own admissions policy. As I said before look up admissions policy some places won't take names until a certain date (holly park primary for instance) but it is important to look into the policies now! I know with colaiste eoin (boys) there is no chance of my unborn son getting in unless we get a place in lorcain and then it's not guaranteed. It is 5th on list of 13 considerations. Even at that I know of a boy (again first born) who was in scoil lorcain for all primary and didn't get a place in colaiste eoin. I presume iosogain use very similar criteria to colaiste eoin. There is a new gael colaiste opening in Dundrum next September 2014 so maybe that we free up more spots. Places in free schools in south county dublin are at a premium and I know this from my own school. Every year we get threatened with appeals every year.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

In twelve years, they will all be taking their fair share of special needs and children with particular problems so things will be a great deal more equal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

spurious wrote: »
    In twelve years, they will all be taking their fair share of special needs and children with particular problems so things will be a great deal more equal.

How did you work that out?

Advertisement