Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2014: A Pace Odyssey

• 23-11-2013 8:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭

Right, gonna give this another bash.

The goal is to get into the 1:30's for a half in 2014. I have the following races planned:

1st December 2013 Waterford Half Marathon
    26 Dec Goal Mile
    29 Dec Duncannon 5k
    12 Jan Ferrycarrig 5m
    9 Feb Enniscorthy 10k
    23 Mar Wicklow Half
    27 Apr Wexford Half
    26 May Enniscorthy Half
    5 July Clontarf Half

So Waterford gives me a benchmark and then I'll know how far I'll have to go to achieve the goal. Hopefully log all training here aswell.

OI

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Best of luck with it, from experience Wicklow & Enniscorthy halfs are hilly routes and not real PB races unless your in serious shape. Which you may well be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

tang1 wrote: »
    Best of luck with it, from experience Wicklow & Enniscorthy halfs are hilly routes and not real PB races unless your in serious shape. Which you may well be.

I like Enniscorthy; I'd take it over Clontarf any day.

Best of luck B; stick with it this time ;)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

See you on Feb 9th. Don't let me down, I'll be expecting post race tea and cake at your gaff!

Hope to see you stick at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭osnola ibax

See you on Feb 9th. Don't let me down, I'll be expecting post race tea and cake at your gaff!

Hope to see you stick at it.

Hey no problem RQ, I'll see you after the race. Believe it or not I've been running since July fairly consistently, was fairly flat after the Barca marathon and had an injury so missed about three months alright.

I'm determined to be consistent this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

menoscemo wrote: »
    I like Enniscorthy; I'd take it over Clontarf any day.

Agree scenery wise, not PB wise.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

tang1 wrote: »
    Agree scenery wise, not PB wise.

No, I mean PB wise. I think Enniscorthy is a fair course, plenty of hills but all rollers (no long uphills, just plenty of ups and downs).
    9 times out of 10 Clontarf is unfair (winds etc). Even on a pefect day (like today) the 4 miles on sand completely saps your legs. I'd rather race Enniscorthy every time....

I signed up to the Eoin Ryan special, that's why I'm doing those three. It's reasonably good value I suppose and have no plans for a marathon again for a while so hopefully can afford to do plenty of racing this year and try to improve over 10k / half marathon distance.

My friends is also doing 10k in mount Juliet so might be doing that aswell. Looking forward to them now.

940 metres in the pool

1 x 200
    4 x 100
    4 x 60
    5 x 20

Not great swim now, felt a bit jaded because ran 18km lsr yesterday. Also was trying to practice some technique that was given to me by colleague I.e. use shoulder as lever, and stretch out in water .

Both those things tired me out aswell so nearly did every second length breast stroke.

About 5 miles in about 45 minutes at lunchtime today. Needed that run today, had a lot of pent up energy. Feeling a lot more relaxed now.

Probably do two more easy runs between now and the race on Sunday and a couple of swims in between. Rest Saturday, then all out. Not sure what to target, ran 1:55 here last year so a minute better would be ok I think.

940 metres in the pool

1 x 200
    4 x 100
    4 x 60
    5 x 20

Bit better than Sunday.

• Advertisement

About 7k maybe, not really sure what kind of time not really bothered with that kind of stuff anymore. It was a good run, nice chat with person I was running with, looking forward to running Waterford

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,084 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

If you're in Wicklow any weekend give me a shout and I'll take you around the Wicklow route.

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    If you're in Wicklow any weekend give me a shout and I'll take you around the Wicklow route.

Will do, thanks very much that'd be great

Just over 4 miles at lunch time about 46 mins, my left calf is a little sore after that, hopefully be alright for Sunday

Calf wasn't great after Friday, gave the Waterford Half a go but pulled up after a mile to avoid serious injury.

740 metres in pool today over different intervals. Pool full of lads, bloody weird FAS course or something, not a comfortable swim.

740 metres in the pool again, felt pretty strong today

Another 740 in the pool, exciting stuff, back running tomorrow, woohoo.

Luis hat trick, third against Norwich

About 4 miles at lunch time, calf a bit stuff again but not as bad as it was

740 metres in the Pool yesterday, wasnt feeling it

• Advertisement

Been on the piss last couple of days, what an absolute waste of time.

About 5 miles today, calf a bit tight again but not as bad. Silly season has started, but hopefully finished now

940 metres in the pool

1 x 200
    4 x 100
    4 x 60
    5 x 20

Good oul' swim today now, enjoyed it.

4 miles tempo today, needed it, calf ok

940 metres in the pool as above

8k about, at lunch time, easy

740 metres in pool intervals blah blah blah, bit of a cold blah blah blah.

Anyone any opinions on the latest season of homeland, tis a bit silly isn't it?

Woh, been a while since I logged, still training away, doing something most days, rotator cuff a tad sore from swimming, other than that all good, 10k today. Bring on 2014

Ran the goal mile this morning, think it was around 6.5 minutes

• Advertisement

Ran a 5k race in Duncannon on 29th December, I felt the race went well for me although, I didn't leave it all out there. I ran 23:01 which I thought was ok.

5 mile race in a couple of weeks. Been out for a training run and a bit of swimming since. Thats my first race since the Barcelona Marathon so delighted to get in under the belt.

:)

Advertisement