Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2014: A Pace Odyssey

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭osnola ibax

Bit. Of running / swimming, grand

There's a lot of training logs, wow

Run / swim yesterday and today

5 mile race this morning, 38:15, reflective of consistent training rather than quality training / living

Ran a training run with a friend of mine in Mount Juliet today, in advance of race next month. Bit quick for me 48:33 for 10k. At least I'm sub 50 for 10k... I hope..

Good oul swim today, really enjoyed it, about 1000 metres.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Doing Enniscorthy 10k still?

Will miss it myself. Not fit enough for that stuff. :)

Sorry RQ, missed your post. Pity you couldn't make it down. Yeah I ran, pb in 46:16, a real confidence booster.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Sorry RQ, missed your post. Pity you couldn't make it down. Yeah I ran, pb in 46:16, a real confidence booster.

Saw your pic on FB and went stalking yesterday. Nice time for someone who claims to be unfit!

Saw your pic on FB and went stalking yesterday. Nice time for someone who claims to be unfit!

I'm getting there now RQ, was really happy to pb yesterday I have to admit. I wasnt expecting it and by almost a minute.

Running is very good for me at the moment, it's fantastic therapy and the only thing that works for me. Yet it's hard for me to get excited about races and put up race reports etc. I'm sure that will change in time, but for the moment it's good to know I'm improving over that distance.

3 x 8k runs this week, and 1000 metre swim on Tuesday.

Was pretty tired this week, smoked more cigs than I normally would and more than I want to (which is Zero). Dont smoke during the day but back in the habit of having 2 - 4 at night. Have another 10k race tomorrow in Mount Juliet.

Had I looked after myself a little better during the week, I'd be shooting for another PB, but I'm just gonna enjoy it and give it a bash, see how I get on. There is another 10k the week after in Duncannon anyway so will keep that one in mind aswell.

• Advertisement

Mount Juliet 10k this morning, 47:37. Wasn't feeling great about this all week because I was tired after last Sunday's effort. Felt better when I arrived up there though.

Seriously tough course. Km5 was a steep up hill section, people were dying around me like a scene out of a war movie. My pace allowed right down but I kept taking small steps. We got a couple of k respite, then km8 was tough again, km9 was a gimme and I let fly downhill, last 500 metres were back in to the golf course and I finished it out.

I wonder do I push myself hard enough sometimes, was still pleased with result. Rolls and soup after hit the spot.

Monday 10k
    Tuesday 1000 mtr swim
    Wednesday 8k

Weight is down to an even 13 st. I'm running well though so all I have to do is loose weight to improve. Another 10k this Sunday, I'll only be happy with pb, finish off this three weeks of racing.

Have had a pretty clean week this week. Yes, I've eaten a couple of pizzas and a couple of curries but all in all pretty, pretty, pretty good. No drink, no cigarettes.

Been having myself my own little race series see and the last of three ten k's is coming up on Sunday. I pb'd two weeks ago in Enniscorthy and I want to go sub 46 mins and pb again because it could be a while before I do another 10k.

One annoying thing is a thing that won't go away. I have a hard lump of skin on my right foot, if I pick even a tiny bit off, it gets quite sore and can bleed a bit on a run.

Ran 8k today and thats my last bit of exercise before Sunday, be fresh getting to the line. Also my weight has dropped just below the 13 stone mark. Booya for that.

So as I was saying above, was trying to live cleanly last week because I knew today would be my last race for a month or that, anyway ready happy with another pb 45:08 chip time.

The next quest is to pb at half Mara distance so to better 1:44, I'm doing Wicklow in a month, that might be a difficult race, so really it's down to the wexford half in 9 weeks. So, time to start those long runs again, doh!

Short recovery run today, around 6k, legs heavy after yesterday's effort

Longest run in a long time yesterday, 10 miles, it went well, chatted comfortably with my compadre but was still at 8.5 miles, really feel like I'm making progress

^^^^^ guess what happens when you get cocky - stiff calves have kept me off the roads since this run. A couple of swims but nothing great either.

3 races in three weeks has kinda taken it out of me, all done over a fairly stressful period for me anyway.

^^^^^ guess what happens when you get cocky - stiff calves have kept me off the roads since this run. A couple of swims but nothing great either.

3 races in three weeks has kinda taken it out of me, all done over a fairly stressful period for me anyway.

Eh that said, just got out for 5 lovely miles, it's a beautiful evening out there

Running in the Wicklow half marathon in just over two weeks so need to get a couple of long runs in. Have a wedding tomorrow so decided to take the day off today to do it and a few other bits a pieces I need to get done - fake tan, petty manny, hair etc.

Aaaanyways, 11 miles at 8.5 miles, that is 5.5 ks for all the futurists out there.

Tough finish coming up the hill and I'm very tired after it, can rest now until Sunday bar maybe a swim tomorrow, time (wife) permitting.

Oh yeah, packing in smoking for good, all smokables ;)

So wedding over, I promised myself two things 1. Not to make a second night of it 2. Get back on the horse as quickly as possible.

Bit of a swim yesterday but more of a sauna, and a 5 mile run today.So hopefully that's the wedding out of the system then, apart from the horrific memories of tying a tie around my head and slagging a fella all night for looking like Joseph Gordon Levitt, sorry fella whoever you are.

• Advertisement

County Championship Novice Road race takes place this weekend. It's on my doorstep so I've joined a local club so I can compete (use the term loosely), I'm actually afraid I might finish last.

Have a bit of a dose this week aswell but still got out running yesterday, nice and easy and felt better for it. Actually did a couple of lengths in the pool yesterday evening aswell and slept like a baby last night.

Hopefully will be clear by the weekend.

So my first County Championship race for my new club today, 6k, finished 50th out of about 70 I think, 26:45 was the official time.

I'm absolutely knackered after it, it was one of the toughest races I've done. Wasn't ideally prepared for it, had a dose during the week and then had a good few drinks on Friday to see a friend off who's leaving the country.

I gave it everything and really felt rough afterwards. There was such a rush of adrenaline at the start line when all the club vests were lined up. I probably took off a little hard but I'm happy enough with the result.

I'm falling asleep as I put this post together.

Wicklow half marathon tomorrow. Really looking forward to it, it's over a year since I ran a half marathon. Bit of a sore right foot but think it's ok. Don't know what time to go for, think I'm in pb shape but not tomorrow because of the hills.

I'm thinking,head out at sub 1:50 pace and see what happens.

Been swimming the last couple of days so only two runs this week. Still should be an enjoyable race.

Wicklow half marathon report:

Eugh, move on

The End

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

Wicklow half marathon report:

Eugh, move on

The End

Sorry to hear that. If you do want to elaborate I'd love to hear a bit more...

Ososlo wrote: »
    Sorry to hear that. If you do want to elaborate I'd love to hear a bit more...

Started off ok, but I probably didn't manage the run very well. Come the second last hill of what seemed like about 10 proper hills, I was worn out, this was in the middle of the 11th mile I think and threw the towel in, I was completely disheartened with the sheer number of hills and their lengthbecause I kept thinking the last one was behind me.

I started walking up the hill and promised myself I'd get going again once i got to the top, started running again on the downhill stretch and then took a fall, hopped my right knee and elbow of the ground.

A really nice guy picked me up, but I was nearly vomitting at this stage, sat down on a wall for a while, then started walking slowly and started running again for the last half mile.

1:51:27, very disappointed in how I ran the race, should have been between 1:45 and 1:48 and kind of hoped for better. Seriously tough course I thought, relentless hills were too much for me anyway.

Thanks for asking anyway :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,082 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Tougher conditions than last year, the wind was up a few knots, really one of those courses that it's worthwhile taking a spin around 1st.
    You'll bounce back stronger from this.

Cheers beepbeep, that's what I'm thinking too, use the experience to get stronger, and learn some lessons about pacing..again..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

Sounds like a very tough day indeed! Fair play to you for finishing though, especially after the fall. Chalk this one down to experience and maybe tackle a slightly less hilly course next time! it was deceptively windy too today so I'm sure that didn't help. Try not to be too disheartened. I know it's easy say that when you're feeling like you currently do. I've been there and it's not nice but try focus on the positives, the main one begin that you were determined enough to carry on and finish it on a tough day, on a very tough course.

• Advertisement

Ososlo wrote: »
    Sounds like a very tough day indeed! Fair play to you for finishing though, especially after the fall. Chalk this one down to experience and maybe tackle a slightly less hilly course next time! it was deceptively windy too today so I'm sure that didn't help. Try not to be too disheartened. I know it's easy say that when you're feeling like you currently do. I've been there and it's not nice but try focus on the positives, the main one begin that you were determined enough to carry on and finish it on a tough day, on a very tough course.

Thanks mate, nice words, no I'm definitely not going to too bogged down in this one.

Back on the horse tomorrow and concentrate on getting right for Wexford half, the end of April. Probably give the running a miss for a couple of days but can still watch diet and make sure I'm back in the zone .

Having a few cans tonight and probably a takeaway and then work harder, more effectively from next week.

Advertisement