Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Protest outside Dooleys Hotel

Options
  • 23-11-2013 8:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭

unnamed2_zpsc7be7b8a.jpg

unnamed_zps458ebf11.jpg

What was protest outside Dooleys today - Lots of noise / Gardai present

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Dicky Pride

Ex Waterford crystal workers reminding Enda kenny about their pensions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭Deise67

good someone want to remind the f******* they lost the case in Europe !

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

Ah yes - I see now on Irish Times .........:
    Up to 200 people highlighted the plight of former Waterford Crystal workers concerned about their pensions when Taoiseach Enda Kenny arrived in Waterford city for a number of engagements today.
    Mr Kenny spoke to some of the protesters who were carrying Unite trade union banners and said he had sympathy for them.
    “I understand the frustration of workers who in some cases worked for 40 years,” he said.

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/protesters-highlight-waterford-crystal-worker-pensions-1.1605707

They made a lot of noise anyway - I hope Enda was listening

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

The government knows they are going to have to do something about this, but is delayimg for as long as possible, hoping to deplete the amount of pensioners they will have to pay.

agreed, they are trying to worm out of paying up on a case they have already lost ! try it with a judgment you get in court and see how far you get ! Kenny and Co are a disgrace ! people worked for 40 years plus to get a pension ! as opposed to the elite in the fail who show up for 4 years and draw down a pension or in Bertie & clown's case wreck the economy and walk away with handsome pay off !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭urallfish

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭wats the craic

and why should they a penny to them . the unions ruined that company and that's a fact .

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭invalid

and why should they a penny to them . the unions ruined that company and that's a fact .

FYI, Unions are made up of the members (ie the workers), not the other way around. So by saying the Unions wrecked the company you actually mean the workers.

bull****, the union's had very little impact in the years leading up to the closure ! if your trying to blame a strike in 1990 for the closure of a factory in 2009 your a bit off the mark ! without a doubt the unions have questions but the management were hardly blameless either !

• Registered Users Posts: 20 JaneDoe111

No doubt that people were overpaid in the glass for years.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

certainly

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭dlnv27

Not all people were overpaid. The craft workers were on big money but I don't think the general workers were full of money.

Everybody was over paid compared to nowadays and that's a fact. Especially during the boom years

no its not a "fact" did you work there ? I doubt it, the general section was not overpaid, they made money by doing overtime same deal with the semi skilled, they did 3/4 nights a week & Saturday mornings. the craft had the potential to make v good money some did some didn't ! maintenance did the same long hours overtime.

I did work there :-)

well then you should know what your talking about ! there were grade D general workers out there on buttons cullet men and the like ! so your "fact" of all earning a fortune is rubbish ! general workers were on a small basic and a so called bonus system which in most jobs you got an average because you could not work piece rate ! so try and base your posts on real facts please !

Deise67 wrote: »
    well then you should know what your talking about ! there were grade D general workers out there on buttons cullet men and the like ! so your "fact" of all earning a fortune is rubbish ! general workers were on a small basic and a so called bonus system which in most jobs you got an average because you could not work piece rate ! so try and base your posts on real facts please !

My point was that, compared to now, every place was being paid very decent money. Times have changed.

That's all i was saying, but I appreciate that it might have been hard for you to see that from atop your high horse.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭manor

Sure they had very little money, I had to support one of them when they went on strike for a couple of months back in the 90s.

no high horse here butty ! just don't like to see uninformed posts but sure you can see the bitterness and begrudgery that's here previous post a classic example ! I'll leave ye to it now ! thread has ended up like so many others !

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭thesaturdayman

it is a fact. it is also a fact that ultimately it was the trade unions in the glass that closed it down. that and ineffective management. waterford crystal made in poland, kilmeaden chedder made in kilkenny....

• Advertisement
Advertisement