Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Research Council 2014/2015

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 46 funkee

No one ever said it would be easy!

• Registered Users Posts: 12 sayitisntso

Well, I wouldn't describe it as snarky - but then again, I have waited years...

Me too. I was two years applying for doctoral funding before I got funding.

Anyway, on page 7 of the application pdf, there is a comma in the bottom right hand corner that wasn't there yesterday.

Does that mean I'll never get tenure?

(Now, that's sarky!)

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭aidoh

stinkle wrote: »
    just checked mine there - modified 8/5/14. Still says "under assessment"

Did you ever get to the bottom of that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭stinkle

Was I supposed to?

Haha I don't know. Don't you want to?
    I meant that more generally as, "anyone know what the craic is with that?"

In the absence of being given any real information by the IRC for at least another few weeks I'm going to cling onto this tiny snippet of hope and exhaust all possible theories as to what it might mean.

Lol!!! I dont think I want to know! Previous status was "Ready for Review" which I took to mean it had passed Eligibility checks. I assume "Under Assessment" now means its out and being reviewed so that's a good sign :)

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Spotfire

Have they given a date in June for announcing the results - or is it just simply "June"???

Depending on how they work it, it could be 4 weeks from now...... or 8 weeks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,992 ✭✭✭bren2001

Spotfire wrote: »
    Have they given a date in June for announcing the results - or is it just simply "June"???

Depending on how they work it, it could be 4 weeks from now...... or 8 weeks!

They will let you know a week or so in advance.

• Advertisement

The thing is, mine had said "Under assessment" for months now, way before this weird little "Modified on the 8th of May" thing popped up so I don't know what it's about.
    It could be the date that the 'Internal Assessment Board' re-received the applications and then downloaded them again or something.
    It could also be absolutely nothing though haha.

And yeah, it's simply June for the results unfortunately. It's extra annoying that they've changed the whole process this year because we can't even gauge accurately when the results will be out based on people from previous years.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 ringthebells

When I checked last week, mine said 7th, then 8th and now it says 9th. If I had to guess I'd say aidoh is correct in saying it's when the IAB downloaded the apps again - not sure if last year any correlation was worked out regarding dates modified & successful apps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

Last year mine had a 'last modified' date that didn't correspond to any changes I had made myself. It was quite early on and then it didn't change until the final notification was given in July or whenever it was. I wouldn't worry about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭NormalBob Ubiquitypants

I really need to buy a new laptop and am trying to hold out to see if this funding comes through. Hopefully it will be early June!

I really need to buy a new laptop and am trying to hold out to see if this funding comes through. Hopefully it will be early June!

Would you not be getting your first batch of the stipend in October though?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭NormalBob Ubiquitypants

aidoh wrote: »
    Would you not be getting your first batch of the stipend in October though?

Ah Sh$%e!
    I thought once through in June the laptop funding would be available. Been holding out for nothing.
    Thanks aidoh.

I could be wrong now, I don't know how it works really. I just would have guessed since the earliest start date is October or thereabouts.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 LegofLamb

My postdoc app was modified again yesterday...

What does this all mean?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,992 ✭✭✭bren2001

LegofLamb wrote: »
    My postdoc app was modified again yesterday...

What does this all mean?

Nothing. It means absolutely nothing. It is no indication that you have been accepted or rejected. I know it is hard but try not to log into the system to check. You will be emailed and be told when they are going to be announced. Until then everything is just speculation which makes it worse.

Good point. I might as well get frantic about the fact that mine hasn't been modified... I applied a number of years ago (unsuccessfully) and the results came out (by post) earlier than I expected. So I'm sort of hoping that when they say 'early June', they actually mean 'late May' but I guess that's wishful thinking. Off on holliers next week and just don't want to have to worry about it (or about the result arriving) while I'm there. Anyway, sorry for starting the 'date modified' panic - think I've brought this stress upon myself!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 JervisOak

If we are speculating as to date modified it may also be of interest to surmise conclusions from the time modified.

Mine was last modified at 10:30 pm!

Yup, mine was modified this afternoon again... probably to print and laugh at either my Gantt chart or gender statement...

oh the flashbacks to the gantt chart and gender statement!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 242 ✭✭Sklarker

Yup, mine was modified this afternoon again... probably to print and laugh at either my Gantt chart or gender statement...
    Crap, I didn't put in a gantt chart...my gender statement is awesome though :pac:

My gender statement was 100% waffle.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 stibhan

To be clear, you will not be able to get a laptop until you start your funding period unless they've changed the rules; the money gets paid into your university's account in September or October, and they handle it thenceforth. The degree to which ordering a laptop will be a facile arrangement when that time comes will also heavily depend on your university.

Anyone know the historical postdoc application success rate? And broken down by scheme?

I don't think the historical rate is applicable, at least for ELEVATE.

Last year there were 15 Fellowships and the success rate was about 20%.

This year there are 5 Fellowships.

So reverse engineering - I reckon about 7% of ELEVATE apps will be successful this year.

Based on pre-call documrntation I had always thought the Elevate call this time has 25 awards of which 10 were academic.

Now looking at the FAQ document I see the figure of 5 awards you refer to.

• Advertisement

Yeah. And somebody asked them in the lead up to the deadline would those
    figures change if, say, they got lots of high quality 'academic' apps but fewer
    lower quality enterprise apps...

The response was that allocations are set in stone and won't change regardless of apps.

So whoever gets an ELEVATE (academic) this year can rightly feel very chuffed with themselves.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement