Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Research Council 2014/2015

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Spotfire

Does anybody know what the minimum application mark (%) criteria was this year for the GOI scholarship to get into the second round?

Or even previous years cut off % for progression to the second round?

• Registered Users Posts: 46 funkee

I was operating for the last three months on the basis that the results would be released in June.

But I just read there in the postdoc FAQ's that they would be released in "early June".

Which is, in like, 11 days.

By way of vaguely irrelevant but compulsively interesting fact, the applicants were informed by email
    last year on July 15th and told that the outcome of the award would be on the website at 4pm that day.

That was 123 days from the application deadline of 14th March..

If the process was to take the exact same this year, we would get emails on Saturday, 14 June 2014.

Compulsively interesting no?
    But vaguely irrelevant? Definitely.

Still, it's close enough now that there isn't a hope of me doing a tap between now and then..

And they surely are a few days more efficient this year than last!?

By the way, last years thread was very entertaining if anybody hasn't read it -
    especially in the run up to July 15th.

My own two favourite posts that I've seen:

"Is there anything to be said for another Mass?"

and

"The gender dimension... It's a pain to have to write the report even though your research has no
    gender element in it. Some aspects of chemistry surely don't even involve humans, let alone women".

And just fyi I'll post the email from IRC that was sent about an hour before results were released..

(Postdocs got a similar one at the same time I think)

Not long now my little Smurflings...!!!

"We would like to notify you that the outcome of your recent application to the Government of Ireland Postgraduate Scholarship Scheme will be available through (website here) from 16.00 today. We received a very large number of applications for funding and competition was intense. Over all schemes, a total of 1628 applications were assessed, and for the GOI Postgraduate Scholarship and Department of Foreign Affairs and Andrew Grene Postgraduate Scholarship in Conflict Resolution in particular, 1115 applications were assessed with 254 awards to be made.

After 16.00 today, the status of your submission will no longer read 'Ready for Review'. Your submission status will be updated as one of the following:

• Conditional Award: The application has been recommended for funding. The award offer is conditional on fulfillment of the scheme terms and conditions (all terms and conditions can be found on the IRC website including receipt by the Council of all required supporting materials and documentation (e.g. transcripts of academic record) from the applicant. The award is wholly subject to receipt of funding by the Council from the Department of Education and Skills, and the Department of Foreign Affairs (where relevant). A formal letter of offer outlining all the necessary steps for accepting of the award will follow in due course.

• Reserve: While unfortunately we cannot offer you a conditional award at this time, the Assessment Panel did indicate that your application was of a high standard, and accordingly, you have been placed on a reserve list. Should candidates who have been offered an award decline the offer, we will then (and only then) offer awards to candidates on the reserve list. Candidates on the reserve list will be contacted no later than 26th August 2013.

• Application unsuccessful: The application has not been recommended for funding on this occasion. The Council acknowledge that this outcome will be a disappointment given the substantial work involved in the preparation of the proposal, and will supply further information on your scoring in due course.

Irish Research Council

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,992 ✭✭✭bren2001

I can only imagine a few people will miss funkee's first post and see the email. They will then go to their own email account and furiously refresh waiting on it to come through....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 242 ✭✭Sklarker

funkee wrote: »
    ...Over all schemes, a total of 1628 applications were assessed, and for the GOI Postgraduate Scholarship and Department of Foreign Affairs and Andrew Grene Postgraduate Scholarship in Conflict Resolution in particular, 1115 applications were assessed with 254 awards to be made.
    FYI: 1755 applications this year and 1175 PG so odds are a little lower this year :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 mikehayes83

Sklarker wrote: »
    FYI: 1755 applications this year and 1175 PG so odds are a little lower this year :(

Where did you get these numbers from?

• Registered Users Posts: 12 heidi7

Any numbers on how many applied to the Enterprise Partnership Scheme?

Where did you get these numbers from?
    IRC had a debriefing session in April (I wasn't at it but I was sent the figures)
    heidi7 wrote: »
    Any numbers on how many applied to the Enterprise Partnership Scheme?
    55 Postgraduate Enterprise applicants

How come there were only 254 PG awards last year? Should there not have been 300. Do they not make a 2nd offer for those who turn it down? Is it based entirely on how many applicants exceed a certain % assessment?

Only 55 Enterprise applicants?? Any idea on how may get awarded?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 jtkc

heidi7 wrote: »
    Only 55 Enterprise applicants?? Any idea on how may get awarded?

It's annoying that you can't see previous years' award winners from the Enterprise Partnership Scheme. When you go to the Alumni section, all of the EPS links result in "Access denied. You are not authorized to access this page." It would give you a general idea of how many are typically awarded...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 151 ✭✭BumblebeeGirl

I got EPS funding last year. I was told out of 42 applications, only 17 were awarded. Hope that helps, and best of luck:)

Had no idea those figure were out..

Does anybody know how many ELEVATE applications this year?

I think there were 25 Enterprise Post Doc's this year...

Which would mean a 45% success rate!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 15 LegofLamb

Does anyone have any other non ELEVATE postdoc stats or info?

Folks we could be looking at the last 2 weeks of waiting until we find out!!!

funkee wrote: »
    Had no idea those figure were out..

Does anybody know how many ELEVATE applications this year?

These are all the stats I have:
    1175 Postgraduate applicants
    447 Postdoctoral applicants
    10 Postdoctoral Enterprise applicants
    68 Elevate

• Registered Users Posts: 14 JervisOak

68 Elevate

Any chance you know the split between HEI and enterprise Elevate applications?

• Registered Users Posts: 15 LegofLamb

68 Elevate

Thanks for these figures.

Last year 13.6% of postdoc applicants were successful. Using this year's numbers thats 60 awards out of 447. Yikes.

JervisOak wrote: »
    Any chance you know the split between HEI and enterprise Elevate applications?
    No sorry!

• Advertisement

Hmmmm... 7.3% success rate for ELEVATE Academic.

I really don't know where my confidence has come from.

Cause it certainly ain't justified by the stats!

Well everybody, time is ticking down ominously now!

When do ye think we'll get the email?!

I'm thinking sometime in the second week of June..........

Spotfire wrote: »
    Well everybody, time is ticking down ominously now!

When do ye think we'll get the email?!

I'm thinking sometime in the second week of June..........
    My money's on Friday June 20th!

My money's on Friday June 20th!

I really hope its before then! 'early june' to me means the first week!

Thing is, I've taken off the past few weeks thinking well, no point in starting
    anything now if I only have to dump it if I get funding...

So I've just realised that whenever we do hear - I have to go back to work!

So, now I'm like, ahh, take your time there IRC!!

Ha ha.

I imagine on their lunch breaks they huddle around an ipad in the
    canteen and crack themselves up at the somersaults we do on here!

Every year.

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭aidoh

Ah yeah I'd say so.
    Sure there have been one or two mysterious posts in this thread even, from users with just that one post to answer peoples' questions.

I reckon it's an IRC/NSA conspiracy. There is no funding, just loads of spying and laughing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭NormalBob Ubiquitypants

Just got an email from the IRC saying from tomorrow I will be unable to view the status of my application as they will be updating the system which should take 5 days. will know next week whether I have it or not. Fingers crossed, along with anything else that is crossable. Best of luck everyone!

IRC EMAIL! We'll all know by tomorrow week at the latest! --> 5th June!

I feel sick thinking about it!

Good luck to everyone!!

• Registered Users Posts: 14 JervisOak

Just got an email from the IRC saying from tomorrow I will be unable to view the status of my application as they will be updating the system which should take 5 days. will know next week whether I have it or not. Fingers crossed, along with anything else that is crossable. Best of luck everyone!

Are results for the whole cohort of awards , both post grad and postdoc normally released at the same time?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭NormalBob Ubiquitypants

No idea to be honest. Here is the email:

We would like to notify you that from tomorrow (Thursday 28th May) you will be unable to view your submitted application to the Irish Research Council Postgraduate Scholarship Scheme on the online system. This is to enable the status update of all applications following the recent assessment process. This update will be completed within a maximum of five working days, at which time you will be notified by email and will be able to view the outcome of your application. We appreciate your patience during this period.

The status of applications will be updated to one of the following:

• Conditional Award: The application has been recommended for funding. The award offer is conditional on fulfilment of the scheme terms and conditions including receipt by the Council of all required supporting materials and documentation (e.g. transcripts of academic record) from the applicant. The award is wholly subject to receipt of funding by the Council from the Department of Education and Skills/Strategic Funding Partners (where relevant). A formal letter of offer to the applicant outlining all the necessary steps for accepting of the award will follow in due course.

• Reserve: While unfortunately we cannot offer the applicant a conditional award at this time, the Assessment Panel indicated that the application was of a high standard, and accordingly, has been placed on a reserve list. Should candidates who have been offered an award decline the offer, we will then (and only then) offer awards to candidates on the reserve list.

• Application unsuccessful: The application has not been recommended for funding on this occasion. The Council acknowledge that this outcome will be a disappointment given the substantial work involved in the preparation of the proposal, and will supply further information on application scoring in due course.

Irish Research Council

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement