Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Research Council 2014/2015

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 178 ✭✭Manco

Lockstep wrote: »
    I wouldn't lose heart folks, there's other sources of funding out there.
    I was unsuccessful in the IRC for PG funding but received alternate doctoral funding from NUIG (Hardiman scholarship) which is of equal value to the IRC.

It can be very hit and miss. I know 2 people who were rejected for the Hardiman but got IRC funding and someone who got the Hardiman but failed to get IRC funding.

Onwards and upwards.
    Places should be freed up in internal funding schemes in universities also. That's the case with the Hardiman Scholarship and the Galway Doctoral Scholarship in NUIG (less in value than the IRC and Hardiman, but somewhat less competitive, and what I was more realistically pinning my hopes on) where places will be freed up now that some of those in receipt of those Scholarships have been awarded the IRC, I presume it's the same with analogous schemes in other universities. It's a precarious business, though, this funding craic.

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭aidoh

Manco wrote: »
    Places should be freed up in internal funding schemes in universities also. That's the case with the Hardiman Scholarship and the Galway Doctoral Scholarship in NUIG (less in value than the IRC and Hardiman, but somewhat less competitive, and what I was more realistically pinning my hopes on) where places will be freed up now that some of those in receipt of those Scholarships have been awarded the IRC, I presume it's the same with analogous schemes in other universities. It's a precarious business, though, this funding craic.

As far as I know, university funding isn't independent of IRC funding.
    That's to say, someone who's applied for a college scholarship could still on paper get it if they've been given IRC funding. I have a feeling that the universities use the scholarships as a means to help out talented students who didn't get the IRC grant though. I hope they do, anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,030 ✭✭✭Lockstep

aidoh wrote: »
    As far as I know, university funding isn't independent of IRC funding.
    That's to say, someone who's applied for a college scholarship could still on paper get it if they've been given IRC funding. I have a feeling that the universities use the scholarships as a means to help out talented students who didn't get the IRC grant though. I hope they do, anyway.

Can't speak for all colleges but I know in NUIG you can't get get external funding and internal funding. If you're on internal funding and are getting outside cash (say, a grant), they can cut your internal funding to reflect your additional income.

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭Marathon Man

What are the odds of getting a scholarship if placed on the reserved list?

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Spotfire

Good question...........

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36 Eimear811

Hi everyone. When I log in, the status of my project has been changed to 'conditional award' but I didn't get any email to confirm this. Is this right? I'm nervous that its just a mistake in the system....

• Registered Users Posts: 14 JervisOak

Eimear811 wrote: »
    Hi everyone. When I log in, the status of my project has been changed to 'conditional award' but I didn't get any email to confirm this. Is this right? I'm nervous that its just a mistake in the system....

What scheme did you apply for? My status is as always...'under assessment'.

JervisOak wrote: »
    What scheme did you apply for? My status is as always...'under assessment'.

The Postgrad Government of Ireland scheme, you?

• Registered Users Posts: 12 heidi7

'Conditional award' means you have got the scholarship on the basis you meet IRC terms and conditions (ie you got the grades you said you did)

heidi7 wrote: »
    'Conditional award' means you have got the scholarship on the basis you meet IRC terms and conditions (ie you got the grades you said you did)

I know that, I'm just a bit confused because I didn't get any email to confirm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭candle_wax

Eimear811 wrote: »

Hi, I'm in the exact same situation. I'm 99% sure it's accurate, but I'm a little cautious until I get proper confirmation.

Same here.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 LordJimbob

Does anyone know the date by which the people who received conditional awards need to have confirmed their acceptance by?

I imagine they'll contact us with all that by the end of the week.

EDIT:
    As I defo can't see any means of 'accepting' the award online at all. Might be blind though.

I imagine they'll contact us with all that by the end of the week.

EDIT:
    As I defo can't see any means of 'accepting' the award online at all. Might be blind though.

I have in my head that I read (somewhere) something about an official letter offering us the scholarship which gives instructions about how to accept.

But maybe I made that up :confused:

candle_wax wrote: »
    I have in my head that I read (somewhere) something about an official letter offering us the scholarship which gives instructions about how to accept.

But maybe I made that up :confused:
    Yeah that's what the email the IRC sent on Friday said:

"A formal letter of offer outlining all the necessary steps for accepting of the award will follow in due course. Please note that this offer will be sent in hard copy to the address you have provided on your online profile. Please ensure that the address provided is correct. Any corrections should be made to your profile by 5pm on Wednesday 11th June 2014."

Yeah that's what the email the IRC sent on Friday said:

"A formal letter of offer outlining all the necessary steps for accepting of the award will follow in due course. Please note that this offer will be sent in hard copy to the address you have provided on your online profile. Please ensure that the address provided is correct. Any corrections should be made to your profile by 5pm on Wednesday 11th June 2014."

Phew, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Smeghead1941

Has anybody heard anything about the Postdoc awards? I'm hearing conflicting reports from people that they are being notified and the IRC are maintaining their usual stony silence. My application still says 'Under assessmment'.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 watertree

It is heard that 86% was the cutoff mark for second stage assessment this year. May be those scored more than 90% in the final assessment are placed on the reserve list. In my opinion government should allocate more money to finance these high quality students. Compared to last year, the number of scholarships this year is less.

watertree wrote: »
    It is heard that 86% was the cutoff mark for second stage assessment this year. May be those scored more than 90% in the final assessment are placed on the reserve list. In my opinion government should allocate more money to finance these high quality students. Compared to last year, the number of scholarships this year is less.
    I was told it was 86.5% by someone who got 86.2% or so and got rejected, such a frustrating system.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12 sayitisntso

Has anybody heard anything about the Postdoc awards? I'm hearing conflicting reports from people that they are being notified and the IRC are maintaining their usual stony silence. My application still says 'Under assessmment'.

Sure people aren't just getting mixed up with the graduate scheme? I'm in for the postdoc thingy and have heard nothing.

I was told it was 86.5% by someone who got 86.2% or so and got rejected, such a frustrating system.
    That's absolutely desperate. did they get it in the end?

That's absolutely desperate. did they get it in the end?
    This was the first round, they got knocked out. So frustrating.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 funkee

"Is it much further Papa Smurf?"

(Postdoc).

• Registered Users Posts: 16 mikehayes83

Have some people already got scoring feedback on the postgrad?

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Who Knows?

Regarding the Post-Docs - does anyone know when results are expected to be announced? Did anyone contact the IRC or is it a sit-and-wait thing...?? I see that there is a lot of discussion about the results for the post-grads but nothing about the post-docs. It would be graet to get some indication, i.e. today, next week, end of the month.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 LegofLamb

As it says in the T&Cs PDF, it will be sometime in June.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Who Knows?

Yes, I saw that in a table during the application process but they could provide some information at this stage. Even a "knock-out" system of informing applicants if they didn't make the cut a few months back to allow them to "move on" and seek other oppportunities. If applicants can submit an application before a given deadline (date/time), surely it can also be assessed and notify applicants within a similar deadline format (date/time) rather than "sometime in June".

• Registered Users Posts: 12 sayitisntso

Exactly - even when you work on the assumption that you are not going to get it it's hard to keep the 'what if's' out of the equation. The automatic notification system giving the status of the application was initially very useful for tracking its progress at the early stages, but it would be nice if it updated more frequently. That said, if the later date means that they are thoroughly considering all applications and taking their time to make good decisions, then I can't fault it (although I missed out on a previous application by a portion of a percent so I don't have much faith in the numerical approach they seem to take). Anyway, it's looking like it's not going to be this week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 jtkc

Have some people already got scoring feedback on the postgrad?

I got this from the IRC today in response to my query:

"The documentation will be sent next week and you will have 4 weeks thereafter to return the Award acceptance form, transcripts etc can follow after. The exact dates will be indicated on the official documentation."

Hope that helps.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement