Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Research Council 2014/2015

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭NormalBob Ubiquitypants

Forgive the ignorance but what does a conditional award mean? What is the condition that has to be fulfilled?
    Not to be to crass about this but when can I expect money in my account. The bank manager will probably die of shock.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 catfips

Forgive the ignorance but what does a conditional award mean? What is the condition that has to be fulfilled?
    Not to be to crass about this but when can I expect money in my account. The bank manager will probably die of shock.

It just means that you have to fulfill what they ask for: acceptance of the offer signed off by the university's research office and your supervisor, and your university stamped transcripts of the results you put down on the IRC application form.The scolarship starts in October so I'd say in your bank account (in monthly stipends) by the third week of October. I may sit corrected though.

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭aidoh

To anyone who was awarded the scholarship last year or year before etc....

Once we've sent off our letter of acceptance with the relevant signatures, stamps and transcripts, what happens next?

Will we hear from the IRC again or is it up to us to go to the research office in our university and sort out the next steps ourselves?

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Spotfire

Has anybody else gone from Reserve to Conditional?

Deadline is this Wednesday...

• Registered Users Posts: 14 JervisOak

Spotfire wrote: »
    Has anybody else gone from Reserve to Conditional?

Deadline is this Wednesday...

The deadline is for all schemes? Any info regarding elevate?

• Advertisement

I was given a deadline of July 30th.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 LordJimbob

I was given a deadline of Weds 23rd, this is for undergrad* application.

Edit: *Postgrad application

LordJimbob wrote: »

Did you get the conditional offer? I remember you said that you hadn't got one.

LordJimbob wrote: »

Did you get the conditional offer? I remember you said that you hadn't got one.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 LordJimbob

Maybe I misled, I meant the deadline for the reserved applicants to know if they got it or not is the 23rd.

I have not been moved to conditional as of yet. My score was 85% so it's unlikely that it'll trickle down that far I expect!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 CD11

I am guessing that the scoring moves in .5 steps and presumably for each step (e.g. 85.5%) there will be a number of people with that score. Does anyone have any idea how many people might be on each step? Last I heard the reserve offers were being offered to people at 85.5%. So presumably once the people on that score have been worked through it will move to 85%. I am on 84.5% and if it has yet to reach 85% then its pretty clear it won't come down far enough for me this time. I'm still curious though. Presumably there is also some way of ranking people who all have the same score.. Would it be on their candidate rating or their project score?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,668 ✭✭✭Mahatma Geansai

CD11 wrote: »
    I am guessing that the scoring moves in .5 steps and presumably for each step (e.g. 85.5%) there will be a number of people with that score. Does anyone have any idea how many people might be on each step? Last I heard the reserve offers were being offered to people at 85.5%. So presumably once the people on that score have been worked through it will move to 85%. I am on 84.5% and if it has yet to reach 85% then its pretty clear it won't come down far enough for me this time. I'm still curious though. Presumably there is also some way of ranking people who all have the same score.. Would it be on their candidate rating or their project score?

I'm on 85.5 for the STEM stream and I haven't been offered anything.

Keep us posted Mahatma Geansai

• Registered Users Posts: 5 CD11

I'm on 85.5 for the STEM stream and I haven't been offered anything.

Sorry to hear that :( I know the feeling, I'm definitely missing out this year too. I think someone said for STEM the cut off was a bit higher though? I should have clarified that I'm referred to AHSS when I say the last I knew of was someone on 85.5 being moved to conditional. But presumably there are a number of people on each score.

CD11 wrote: »
    Sorry to hear that :( I know the feeling, I'm definitely missing out this year too. I think someone said for STEM the cut off was a bit higher though? I should have clarified that I'm referred to AHSS when I say the last I knew of was someone on 85.5 being moved to conditional. But presumably there are a number of people on each score.

Ah that's good to hear about it being the AHSS scheme. I'd accepted that I wouldn't get funding once I was first placed on the reserve list, but it would have been terrible to know that students with the same score as me had obtained funding.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 SNiB

Has anyone received confirmation from the IRC that their documents were received (i.e. offer acceptance form, transcripts)?

Does anyone know when we can expect to hear back in terms of being moved from 'Conditional Award' to 'Award Holder'?

Has anyone heard from the IRC yet? Are they only going to email successful applicants?

How (email, post?) and when have people got scores?

I am on reserve list for the ELEVATE but have not received feedback or any correspondence.

I got mine through the post about 2 weeks ago.

aidoh wrote: »
    I got mine through the post about 2 weeks ago.

Were you a postgraduate or postdoc application?

• Advertisement

Has anybody on the reserve list for the postgrad scheme heard from the IRC?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 A_W_P

I'm on the reserve list for postgrad and still haven't heard anything. The last e-mail we received indicated that we would know one way or another by yesterday. Any thoughts on the delay?

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭candle_wax

SNiB wrote: »
    Has anyone received confirmation from the IRC that their documents were received (i.e. offer acceptance form, transcripts)?

Does anyone know when we can expect to hear back in terms of being moved from 'Conditional Award' to 'Award Holder'?

I haven't heard anything back from IRC - I submitted my acceptance form and transcripts just over two weeks ago I think.
    I just logged in there to the online application and it still just says "Conditional".

• Registered Users Posts: 23 SNiB

candle_wax wrote: »
    I haven't heard anything back from IRC - I submitted my acceptance form and transcripts just over two weeks ago I think.
    I just logged in there to the online application and it still just says "Conditional".

Thanks candle_wax - hopefully we hear soon, I feel like I can't fully relax about it until it's all processed!

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭candle_wax

SNiB wrote: »
    Thanks candle_wax - hopefully we hear soon, I feel like I can't fully relax about it until it's all processed!

Oh I know... my transcripts are far from flawless, so I'm really worried they're gonna suddenly go "Eh, hang on, we're giving it to THIS kid?"
    :eek:

Also, of course, worried that they got lost in the post. An acknowledgment that they received them woulda been nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 ringthebells

candle_wax wrote: »
    Also, of course, worried that they got lost in the post.

I was so freaked about this I paid extra to get proof of postage!

A_W_P wrote: »
    I'm on the reserve list for postgrad and still haven't heard anything. The last e-mail we received indicated that we would know one way or another by yesterday. Any thoughts on the delay?

Well the IRC are very badly run, so it's probably them just being their typical selves.

They are so possessed with the standards they demand from applicants, yet they themselves are one of the most lax crowds you'll ever deal with....

BTW A_W_P what score are you on?

Emails are out now - if you didn't get funding by now then you're out of luck.

Spotfire wrote: »
    IRC funding is a total lottery

:rolleyes:

edit: Only messing Spotfire. Congrats on getting it in the end.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 Bablatrice

Hi, unfortunately I only made reserve this year. I have heard people talk about having received their scores through the post. I didn't receive anything in the post yet- is anyone in the same boat?

Thanks

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement