Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Research Council 2014/2015

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭NormalBob Ubiquitypants

Does anyone know the story with the technology grant for a laptop? Is it one laptop or could I get a laptop and an ipad? IT's for a 1000 and need to use it fairly soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 JervisOak

Anyone know the cutoff threshold specifically for Elevate? Got my feedback and score by post today.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Susi1

Hi all. Does anyone know when the create new application form option for January 2015 will appear on the online application system? Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 242 ✭✭Sklarker

Susi1 wrote: »
    Hi all. Does anyone know when the create new application form option for January 2015 will appear on the online application system? Thanks.

Someone's keen! I think it was December 20th last year for the PG Scholarship if that's any help

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Cork2106

I received IRC postgraduate funding this year but was a bit slow about filling in all the relevant forms. Have other people received their first installment already? Should I be worried?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭candle_wax

Cork2106 wrote: »
    I received IRC postgraduate funding this year but was a bit slow about filling in all the relevant forms. Have other people received their first installment already? Should I be worried?

First cash installment? I haven't, but seeing as the scholarship only started on Oct 1, I figured it would be the end of the month - but it depends on the university, I think

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Cork2106

Ya thanks for reply! I know someone who has been getting it for a couple of years and she got an email last week from the IRC saying she would hear from her institution this week and the money would go through then. I haven't heard anything from the IRC so was starting to worry. I suppose first years must be dealt with last maybe, I dunno?

Cork2106 wrote: »
    Ya thanks for reply! I know someone who has been getting it for a couple of years and she got an email last week from the IRC saying she would hear from her institution this week and the money would go through then. I haven't heard anything from the IRC so was starting to worry. I suppose first years must be dealt with last maybe, I dunno?

Yeah it goes via your institution, so I'm hoping I'll just get the money on the same monthly pay day as I did last year (when I was funded directly by the university). But maybe I'm being a bit optimistic in hoping that it will be a seamless transition!

I saw the list of postgraduate funding projects was announced yesterday - some great ideas in there. Well done to everyone - it's official now!

http://research.ie/awards/government-ireland-postgraduate-scholarships-2014

Hi, has anyone here applied for an enterprise funded phd? If so, is the deadline different from the postgraduate scholarship? Any help appreciated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 Smeghead1941

On a funding related-topic, does anyone have/know where to get a look at a successful ESRC funding application? I'd be very grateful for a peek at one.

What area are you applying in?

What area are you applying in?

History/social science/crime : mostly history

I am applying for one in science, I would also like to see an example of an application.

I am applying for one in science, I would also like to see an example of an application.

How are you finding the help notes on the website?

Not great, they don't give much information as to what they are looking for in the application form or any help in how to fill it out. You?

Not great, they don't give much information as to what they are looking for in the application form or any help in how to fill it out. You?

Too vague, which is why I'd like a look at a successful app, if anyone has access to one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Censorsh!t

800 words for why you chose the university and supervisor. Kill me now.

Hi everyone - I'm just wondering does anyone currently on an IRC scholarship know anything about the progress reports we need to submit twice a year? When are they due/is there a template, etc etc.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭Piglet85

candle_wax wrote: »
    Hi everyone - I'm just wondering does anyone currently on an IRC scholarship know anything about the progress reports we need to submit twice a year? When are they due/is there a template, etc etc.

Thanks.

I had an IRC scholarship for the last year of my Phd (2013/14). The first report was to cover the period from October - April, and was due late May. The second one was to refer to work carried out from March - September 2014, but they didn't request it until December (it's only actually due tomorrow)! The mid year one is requires very little information really, but the end of year one is more detailed.

• Advertisement

Piglet85 wrote: »
    I had an IRC scholarship for the last year of my Phd (2013/14). The first report was to cover the period from October - April, and was due late May. The second one was to refer to work carried out from March - September 2014, but they didn't request it until December (it's only actually due tomorrow)! The mid year one is requires very little information really, but the end of year one is more detailed.

Ah great, thanks a million. I'm assuming it's pretty similar this year, and sounds like I don't need to be too worried about the mid-year one just yet anyway.

Thanks again!

Hi, has anyone answered the ethical statement or sex gender dimension question?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Falthyron

My project does not require ethical approval so I don't have to answer that. I have suggested a possible sex/gender dimension element might emerge, but its quite loose. Not sure if they will buy it!

Why do you ask?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

If an ethical statement is not required then mark it as N/A.

The gender dimension statement is compulsory for all applications.

Edit: you might want to confirm the second point directly. I was absolutely certain of it when I made my application, which led me to writing one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Falthyron

Ravelleman wrote: »
    If an ethical statement is not required then mark it as N/A.

The gender dimension statement is compulsory for all applications.

Edit: you might want to confirm the second point directly. I was absolutely certain of it when I made my application, which led me to writing one.

You are correct. Even if there isn't a sex/gender dimension to your project you have to explain why there isn't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭mickstupp

Crikey that reminds me. I keep forgetting I need a statement from the dept. head about ethics...

I had to fill out ethical approval section because I have an email correspondence with one of the authors I'm looking at.

Do you need a statement from ethics department now, or only if you get accepted? That's what I gathered from it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭mickstupp

Not sure. I think the ethics statement goes to the Graduate Studies department before they sign off on your application???

Not sure. We were told a few weeks ago that we didn't need to seek permission right away but could wait until we knew if we were accepted. But, I want to be completely sure!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

https://irishresearch.smartsimple.ie/files/318532/f91880/GOIPG_2015__Guide_for_Applicants.pdf
    . Full ethical approval from the relevant HEI Ethics Committee is not required at the application stage. However, if the
    application is successful evidence of full ethical approval will be required as part of the award acceptance (as per the Terms and Conditions).

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement