Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Research Council 2014/2015

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

Falthyron wrote: »
    You are correct. Even if there isn't a sex/gender dimension to your project you have to explain why there isn't.

Excellent. I didn't want to confuse anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Maybe_Memories

Just wondering, on the proposed research tab it says "If you have already started your course please indicate which degree you are already ready registered for and fill in the form for the full research proposal for the full duration of this degree."

I'm not registered yet as I'm not starting until October. Do I just leave this entire section blank? This doesn't seem right as it says everything in this section is necessary. My potential supervisor also said I should leave it blank.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,990 ✭✭✭bren2001

Just wondering, on the proposed research tab it says "If you have already started your course please indicate which degree you are already ready registered for and fill in the form for the full research proposal for the full duration of this degree."

I'm not registered yet as I'm not starting until October. Do I just leave this entire section blank? This doesn't seem right as it says everything in this section is necessary. My potential supervisor also said I should leave it blank.

You leave it blank. You have not started your course and are applying for funding. Sure, you have not been accepted yet (I assume) by your University.

bren2001 wrote: »
    You leave it blank. You have not started your course and are applying for funding. Sure, you have not been accepted yet (I assume) by your University.

Okay, thanks. Still seems very counter-intuitive since leaving any part of that section blank doesn't seem to be allowed by the system. You're referring to the whole section, yes? As in, I'd leave the abstract, methodology, schedule, etc all blank?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Kavrocks

Why would you leave it blank? Proposed Research is what you intend to research upon acceptance by the University and (hopefully) on receipt of a grant. The 'if' statement applies to those who have already started and are seeking funding for the remainder of their research. It's sole purpose is for people in this category to ensure they fill out the form correctly as they have already started 'Proposed Research' is not the correct term.

I'm quite amazed your potential supervisor told you to leave it blank. That would result in an incomplete application and you not even being passed for consideration.
    Okay, thanks. Still seems very counter-intuitive since leaving any part of that section blank doesn't seem to be allowed by the system. You're referring to the whole section, yes? As in, I'd leave the abstract, methodology, schedule, etc all blank?
    Fill it all in. The application says you need to fill it all in so do (unless you don't actually want funding)!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,990 ✭✭✭bren2001

As already addressed, I wasn't the clearest. You leave the part about the current course blank but you need to fill in the rest. That's your proposal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

For anyone that hasn't started their course yet - you choose which course you are going to be doing. 48/36 month PhD or 24/12 month Masters.

For anyone that HAS started yet, they are to select which degree they are already registered for. NOT how long is remaining in their degree.

Eg. Someone who has completed year 1 of a 4 year structured PhD would select "48 month structured PhD" and NOT "36 month research PhD", despite having 36 months left as they are not registered for a 36 month research PhD. If they selected the wrong option, either their application would be deemed invalid or they would receive insufficient funding for the remaining time period.

As for the entire proposed research tab - this accounts for 40% of your entire application. I suggest you get writing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Censorsh!t

Just submitted!

Still terrified I've made a mistake, but feck it, it's too late now. :pac:

Small bit of relief for now anyway :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Falthyron

Just submitted and awaiting my supervisor and one of my referees to add their forms to the application.

This is my 2nd time applying, so last chance for me! Maybe I will be lucky this time! :D

• Advertisement

Application submitted. Now we wait...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 242 ✭✭Sklarker

Anyone get an email when their referee submitted or does their name simply get appended with the word 'submitted'?

Sklarker wrote: »
    Anyone get an email when their referee submitted or does their name simply get appended with the word 'submitted'?

It'll says submitted after their name. One of my referees was quite surprised I didn't get an email.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 242 ✭✭Sklarker

It'll says submitted after their name. One of my referees was quite surprised I didn't get an email.
    Cheers. They seem to have changed the process a bit.
    Best of luck all!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35 dublinlush

Good luck everyone!! Second time round for me too. Hopefully they will look a little more kindly on us this time. If anyone is interested in applying for other doctoral positions, Ulster University are advertising at the moment. I don't know if I can put a link in here (always in trouble with the moderators over something...!!) but just Google UU post-grad awards and the info should come up. Their website is a bit of a minefield and some schools are more difficult to navigate than others but they have around 150 awards this year. Check 'em out! The deadline is end of this month.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 WexStrawberry

Hi Everyone,

Good luck to those who have already applied. I'm hoping to apply for the Enterprise Partnership Scheme this year (Call not open yet) but I was just wondering from last years candidates if there were any figures given on how many applied and how many were successful in receiving funding.

Also if you have any advice for applying I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 shay_00011

Hi Everyone,

Good luck to those who have already applied. I'm hoping to apply for the Enterprise Partnership Scheme this year (Call not open yet) but I was just wondering from last years candidates if there were any figures given on how many applied and how many were successful in receiving funding.

Also if you have any advice for applying I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks!!

Hi,
    I'm also waiting for the call to open up, just wondering have you applied for this before? and is this scheme competitive would you hve any idea?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 WexStrawberry

Hi,

No this is my first time applying as well and as far as competition goes I have no idea. That's what I was hoping I could find out from the people in this forum :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15 LegofLamb

Sorry to bump an old thread but I have a question.

I got the postdoc this year after losing out last year by 4 points. Over the moon!

I was wondering what the take home pay was each month as the t&cs say that further income tax and all that have to be deducted from the published amount.

Thanks

LegofLamb wrote: »
    I was wondering what the take home pay was each month as the t&cs say that further income tax and all that have to be deducted from the published amount.
    I can't help exactly as I'm on the postgraduate scholarship and don't pay tax but is that not highly specific to the individual, their own tax allowances and any extra income as well as the pension contribution?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

LegofLamb wrote: »
    Sorry to bump an old thread but I have a question.

I got the postdoc this year after losing out last year by 4 points. Over the moon!

Thanks

Salaries office should be able to answer that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34 MonaDD

Any one care to speculate re: release of results this year?
    Email said 'mid May' for results of first round, but still no word...

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Jabberwocky_I

I imagine the results of the first round will be released within the next week or two. Hopefully we won't be kept waiting much longer. Good luck!

MonaDD wrote: »
    Any one care to speculate re: release of results this year?
    Email said 'mid May' for results of first round, but still no word...
    Last Friday in May. It was last year anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Jaimz30

Kavrocks wrote: »
    Last Friday in May. It was last year anyway.

Last year the first round decisions were delivered on May 1st. If you go back through the posts here you'll see that....it's very frustrating waiting on 'mid-May'!! Best of luck to those involved on here.

Jaimz30 wrote: »
    Last year the first round decisions were delivered on May 1st. If you go back through the posts here you'll see that....it's very frustrating waiting on 'mid-May'!! Best of luck to those involved on here.
    I do have an email from then never took any notice of it then or now. I didn't realise that was what people called the first round. My take on it was when statuses were changed to 'Conditional Award'.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Jaimz30

Some candidates will be eliminated after the outer-assessment stage. I think that's why some of us on here are calling it the first round (of elimination). Proposals which make it past this stage will then progress to be assessed by the inner-assessment board (which takes a further few weeks) and from here they will either be classified as 'Conditional award' (successful pending proof of results), 'Reserve list' (those first in line for offers should those awarded refuse funding) and 'Application unsuccessful' (those unfortunately eliminated).

I'm pretty sure this is how it works - or at least did last year. I remember last year the IRC stated that outer-results would be delivered in May (and were duly sent on May 1st!). I'm guessing that's why 'Mona' is questioning what 'Mid-May' equates to when it's the 20th tomorrow!

In fairness it is pretty nerve-wrecking!

Last year the first round decisions were delivered on May 1st.
    Some candidates will be eliminated after the outer-assessment stage. I think that's why some of us on here are calling it the first round (of elimination).

Just shat a brick due to the first post :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34 MonaDD

Just shat a brick due to the first post :pac:

Sorry bout that!;) yes, Jaimz30, I was referring to the first round of 'culling' of applications... just postulating when 'mid May' ends and 'late May' begins..!
    Patience is a virtue and all that!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭mickstupp

Speak of the devil, mail just arrived:
    The first phase of assessment of the 2015 Government of Ireland Postgraduate Scholarship Scheme has now concluded. Please check the status of your application on the online system to determine if your application has progressed to the second stage of assessment. Your application will show a status of either 'under assessment' or 'application unsuccessful'

WHEW!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement