Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Research Council 2014/2015

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Deeluu

Got my mail today. Made it into the final round thank god. This is so unbelievably nerve wracking. Good luck everyone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 242 ✭✭Sklarker

Denied. Nards!

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭AlwaysRight

Any idea when feedback will be returned for those who were unsuccessful in first round?

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Jaimz30

I'm just reading mine, it arrived in the door a moment ago. I was gutted when I didn't receive it but now I'm just baffled!! My application score has dropped 17% from last year!!!!! And I had more or less unlimited help from an English lecturer outside my discipline to make it more accessible!

Has anyone else experienced something like this?

I'm just reading mine, it arrived in the door a moment ago. I was gutted when I didn't receive it but now I'm just baffled!! My application score has dropped 14.5% from last year!!!!! And I had more or less unlimited help from an English lecturer outside my discipline to make it more accessible!

• Advertisement

Sorry for the confusion above - my second post is the correct one. My brain was in shock for about five minutes!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Falthyron

Jaimz30 wrote: »
    I'm just reading mine, it arrived in the door a moment ago. I was gutted when I didn't receive it but now I'm just baffled!! My application score has dropped 14.5% from last year!!!!! And I had more or less unlimited help from an English lecturer outside my discipline to make it more accessible!

Thanks for letting us know the feedback has arrived. I am in work at the moment, but I will check my postbox when I get home. I was 3-4% off the cut last time round, so it will be interesting to see how far I have fallen this time considering your score dropped by quite a bit. Ugh...

Falthyron wrote: »
    Thanks for letting us know the feedback has arrived. I am in work at the moment, but I will check my postbox when I get home. I was 3-4% off the cut last time round, so it will be interesting to see how far I have fallen this time considering your score dropped by quite a bit. Ugh...

I missed the cut by 1/2% last year Falthyron! I'm not just saying this cos of bias but my proposal this year was miles better and it dropped that much - I'm dumbfounded!

Jaimz30 wrote: »
    I missed the cut by 1/2% last year Falthyron! I'm not just saying this cos of bias but my proposal this year was miles better and it dropped that much - I'm dumbfounded!

I just opened my letter and I was off the mark by 7.5%. In comparison to my last attempt, my capability and quality of research sections increased in score, but the suitability of my host organisation declined. Considering the host organisation hasn't changed, it received a 20/20 in my last attempt, but somehow dropped significantly since then. I wonder how that could be explained...

When I first did the IRC, I had no help at all (I didn't know you could receive help!), but this time my supervisor was very helpful and I even asked a neutral at the Graduate Studies Office to point out anything she might have seen as weakness or unclear. Ah well... good luck to the rest who are still in there. If you could let us know what ritual/prayer you made before submitting, it would be very helpful for those aspiring to be IRC candidates next year! :pac:

Ugh...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

1200 applicants this year, the lowest score for STEM to proceed past the outer board was 90%. That's an increase of 1.5% on last years "pass mark".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭mickstupp

1200 applicants this year, the lowest score for STEM to proceed past the outer board was 90%. That's an increase of 1.5% on last years "pass mark".
    Holy Monkey! How do you find out the mark? I wonder what it was for the humanities side?

mickstupp wrote: »
    Holy Monkey! How do you find out the mark? I wonder what it was for the humanities side?

86.5% for Humanities side.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 242 ✭✭Sklarker

Falthyron wrote: »
    I just opened my letter and I was off the mark by 7.5%. In comparison to my last attempt, my capability and quality of research sections increased in score, but the suitability of my host organisation declined. Considering the host organisation hasn't changed, it received a 20/20 in my last attempt, but somehow dropped significantly since then. I wonder how that could be explained...

When I first did the IRC, I had no help at all (I didn't know you could receive help!), but this time my supervisor was very helpful and I even asked a neutral at the Graduate Studies Office to point out anything she might have seen as weakness or unclear. Ah well... good luck to the rest who are still in there. If you could let us know what ritual/prayer you made before submitting, it would be very helpful for those aspiring to be IRC candidates next year! :pac:

Ugh...

Haven't received my scores yet as i am away but last year i made the cut and this year i haven't despite completing my msc, publishing articles and like Falthyron receiving significant help with my application...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Censorsh!t

Gah, missed the cut-off by 1%! Sickened!

At least its just my first try, but I'm worried now, looking at people's experiences of having dropped so much the second time round

• Registered Users Posts: 15 LegofLamb

Well my postdoc status has changed from "Conditional Award" to "Award Holder".

Delighted beyond words! 2nd book here we come! (And a few trips to the U.S.!!!)

If I can do it then anyone can.

Does anyone think that it's too much to hope for that the Postgraduate Awards Results will come out on Monday? It did say the week commencing the 29th, but I don't think my nerves could handle waiting until this time next week! I know they were very delayed last year. I hope they've reconciled any issues for this year!

WHY do you taunt me with your thread updates????

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Mairead111

Fingers crossed!

Just got this email. Heart failure ensues...

Dear Applicant,

We would like to notify you that from 14.30 today you will be unable to view your submitted application to the Irish Research Council Postgraduate Scholarship Scheme on the online system. This is to enable the status update of all applications following the second phase of the assessment process. You will be notified by email when access has been restored and will be able to view the outcome of your application. We appreciate your patience during this period.

The status of applications will be updated to one of the following:

• Conditional Award: The application has been recommended for funding. The award offer is conditional on fulfilment of the scheme terms and conditions.

• Reserve: While unfortunately we cannot offer the applicant a conditional award at this time, the Assessment Panel indicated that the application was of a high standard, and accordingly, has been placed on a reserve list.

• Application unsuccessful: The application has not been recommended for funding on this occasion.

Kind regards,

Irish Research Council

• Registered Users Posts: 3 kevinjpfrench

Hopefully it doesn't take them all week to update it! Cant handle much more waiting.

• Advertisement

Hopefully it doesn't take them all week to update it! Cant handle much more waiting.

Nor I. Last year they said it would take no more than 5 working days but this year they didn't specify. I wonder does that bode well or not for speediness!

Deeluu wrote: »
    Nor I. Last year they said it would take no more than 5 working days but this year they didn't specify. I wonder does that bode well or not for speediness!

Was talking to someone who got it last year and even though it said 5 days there were told within 2 days. For the sake of my productivity, speediness would be great, have just sat staring at my computer screen most of the day!

They will email us and they aren't going to upload the results today if they only started updating this afternoon. Best thing is to put it out of your head until the email comes in. Easier said than done...........

• Registered Users Posts: 1 CailinDG

They're UP!

Got accepted! Best of luck to everyone else ðŸ˜႒

Got reserve. Disappointed but well done to everyone else. Congrats!

My goodness, that's far more overwhelming than I thought it would be. Very happy.
    Good luck everyone!

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Spud92

Well done to everyone who got accepted, nice one.

I've applied for the enterprise partnership scheme and will find out in September. I recently noticed a possible discrepancy that might be misinterpreted by the assessors and am wondering if anyone could give their thoughts. Sound.

Basically, I stated that I attained a first class honours in both 3rd and 4th year of my undergraduate degree. I also stated the grades of three modules which are relevant to the proposed project. The given grades are all correct, however I stated the average result of the three 4th year grades without explicitly highlighting it. Therefore the assessors might misinterpret this average as my actual overall average for 4th year which would consequently be seen as incorrect when cross checking with the endorsed transcript if a conditional award is offered. I'm wondering if this means that by default I cannot comply with terms and conditions and therefore I'm not eligible to become an award holder.

I emailed the council and they replied with:
    "As per the Terms and Conditions of the Scheme, Scholars:

5.3.2 must have a first class or upper second-class honours primary degree, or the equivalent. If examination results are not known at the time of application, the Council may make a provisional offer of a Scholarship on condition that the Scholar’s undergraduate degree result is a first-class or upper second-class honours, or the equivalent. Masters degree results may be considered to take precedence over the results of the primary degree. The Council decision on these matters is final;

In instances where an application has been recommended for funding and where examination transcripts do not confirm the information included in the application, the Council may revoke the offer of Award.

If you have received a first or upper second-class honours grade as per the above clause, any discrepancy after that fact will be reviewed by Council on receipt of transcripts, where a conditional offer is made, and a decision made as to whether the Award can still stand. "

Thoughts?
    Am I worrying too much (I'm sure ye've all been there) - might they just look at it, ask for an explanation of any discrepancies and forgive a silly mistake or have I fooked myself.

Sorry for the long windedness of all this. Sound

• Registered Users Posts: 4 WexStrawberry

Hi Guys

I have an Enterprise Partnership related question. I was wondering if it is possible for your stipend to be more than the 16,000 if the company is willing to contribute more than the 8,000? If anybody has any info I'd really appreciate it or knows anybody who might be able to tell me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68 ✭✭hughie1989

Hi Guys

I have an Enterprise Partnership related question. I was wondering if it is possible for your stipend to be more than the 16,000 if the company is willing to contribute more than the 8,000? If anybody has any info I'd really appreciate it or knows anybody who might be able to tell me.

I think that the terms state that the award cannot be worth more than 24k per annum and that the company must contribute at least 8k. My understanding of it is that if the company were to contribute more than 8k, the IRC will then only contribute the remainder to make up the 24k. I am open to correction on that though.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement