Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Research Council 2014/2015

Options
1171819202123»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4 WexStrawberry

Thanks Hughie1989. I think your more than likely right :) I was just hoping my stipend might be increased but oh well.

On a separate note has anyone heard from the IRC about when we might expect to hear the outcome of the EPS?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Thanks Hughie1989. I think your more than likely right :) I was just hoping my stipend might be increased but oh well.

On a separate note has anyone heard from the IRC about when we might expect to hear the outcome of the EPS?

Well their website says September. Their email after the preliminary eligibility checks said "end-sept".

It's now October....so who knows really.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Yarghhh

Spud92 wrote: »
    Well done to everyone who got accepted, nice one.

I've applied for the enterprise partnership scheme and will find out in September. I recently noticed a possible discrepancy that might be misinterpreted by the assessors and am wondering if anyone could give their thoughts. Sound.

Basically, I stated that I attained a first class honours in both 3rd and 4th year of my undergraduate degree. I also stated the grades of three modules which are relevant to the proposed project. The given grades are all correct, however I stated the average result of the three 4th year grades without explicitly highlighting it. Therefore the assessors might misinterpret this average as my actual overall average for 4th year which would consequently be seen as incorrect when cross checking with the endorsed transcript if a conditional award is offered. I'm wondering if this means that by default I cannot comply with terms and conditions and therefore I'm not eligible to become an award holder.

I emailed the council and they replied with:
    "As per the Terms and Conditions of the Scheme, Scholars:

5.3.2 must have a first class or upper second-class honours primary degree, or the equivalent. If examination results are not known at the time of application, the Council may make a provisional offer of a Scholarship on condition that the Scholar’s undergraduate degree result is a first-class or upper second-class honours, or the equivalent. Masters degree results may be considered to take precedence over the results of the primary degree. The Council decision on these matters is final;

In instances where an application has been recommended for funding and where examination transcripts do not confirm the information included in the application, the Council may revoke the offer of Award.

If you have received a first or upper second-class honours grade as per the above clause, any discrepancy after that fact will be reviewed by Council on receipt of transcripts, where a conditional offer is made, and a decision made as to whether the Award can still stand. "

Thoughts?
    Am I worrying too much (I'm sure ye've all been there) - might they just look at it, ask for an explanation of any discrepancies and forgive a silly mistake or have I fooked myself.

Sorry for the long windedness of all this. Sound

What's your actual bachelor degree result? If it's a 1st or 2.1 thats both fine if you estimated it before you got your award they wouldn't hold it against you. If you in anyway made it look like your degree result was a 1st when you knew it wasn't I would say you could be in unknown territory....

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Spud92

I got a first class honours (77 % average overall). The individual results for the 3 relevant subjects are stated correctly, but I gave the average of those - 86 %, without explicitly saying. Looking back, since they ask for the overall average, I'm worried they might look at the average I gave as me trying to gain advantage over others or something extreme as that.

I got a first class honours (77 % average overall), which I had known in advance of applying. The individual results for the 3 relevant subjects are stated correctly, but I gave the average of those - 86 %, without explicitly saying. Looking back, since they ask for the overall average, I'm worried they might look at the average I gave as me trying to gain advantage over others or something extreme as that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Yarghhh

Spud92 wrote: »
    I got a first class honours (77 % average overall). The individual results for the 3 relevant subjects are stated correctly, but I gave the average of those - 86 %, without explicitly saying. Looking back, since they ask for the overall average, I'm worried they might look at the average I gave as me trying to gain advantage over others or something extreme as that.

They only care about your overall degree result being represented accurately as that's what they base the conditions on. It sounds like you made it confusing to read but its still a 1st both ways so you're most likely fine.

Ahh, should be grand so. Sure results aren't out yet, suppose to be end of September (yesterday), so could be worrying over nathin'. Cheers for that.

NOTICE, Friday 2nd October: Applicants to the Enterprise Partnership Scheme (Postgraduate Scholarship and Postdoctoral Fellowships) will be notified of outcome on week beginning 5th October 2015.

This notice is on the smartsimple login page

Offers now up for the Enterprise partnership scheme!

Got conditional award :D Best of luck everyone else!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement