Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Research Council 2014/2015

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

Sounds relatively clear to me - how will your research help you if you don't achieve an academic position afterwards. A PhD in biotechnology might lead to a job in a medical lab, for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Yavahnna

Hi all!
    This is my first time applying for the IRC ...
    what's the story with the supervisor/ referee part? I looked in the list none of my referees or supervisor are in that list. Do I have to tell them to register? If so, what is the link for them to register? My supervisor is great, but one of my referees is pretty lazy about this things. Any help will be highly appreciated.

Yavahnna wrote: »
    Hi all!
    This is my first time applying for the IRC ...
    what's the story with the supervisor/ referee part? I looked in the list none of my referees or supervisor are in that list. Do I have to tell them to register? If so, what is the link for them to register? My supervisor is great, but one of my referees is pretty lazy about this things. Any help will be highly appreciated.
    Your supervisor needs to be registered on the system by the Research Office of your institution. Your referees don't register but you put down their email addresses and details on your application and then they get sent an email after you submit your application to supply the reference. The references have to be submitted by the 4th Feb so you better make sure your lazy referee knows that! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭nialljf

A lot of work required for this! Open-access costs and research schedules and currently doing my head in

• Closed Accounts Posts: 480 ✭✭saltyjack silverblade

Do you have to provide a breakdown of all costs or are rounded numbers ok. as in 100 for books?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭nialljf

Do you have to provide a breakdown of all costs or are rounded numbers ok. as in 100 for books?

I'm going with rounded numbers too. But I contacted my Research Office and they said you would need a strong case for ordering books/articles as part of your expenses. Your HEI/library should have an adequate provision.

When you're researching at PhD/post-doc level the books are far more specific than most libraries have though. They should be an essential expense!

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Jams O'Donnell

Hello All,

Does anyone seen any more detailed information on last year's results? I applied for a postdoc last year; was not funded; and today just received a letter with feedback on my application last year. I've seen the overall statistics quoted xx funded out xxx applicants (can't remember the numbers), but haven't seen any information that breaks this out over the various schemes, or by humanities vs STEM etc. or any information that gives a sense of how high the scores were for those who got funded.

Best of luck to all this year's applicants!

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Leighn

How do the categorisations work? Which parts have to be chosen from the defined list and which parts can be added that don't have to be on the list? (If at all?)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 934 ✭✭✭OneOfThem Stumbled

Referees don't have to be from the institution you are applying to, do they? (wouldn't make an awful lot of sense if you haven't studied there before).

Online application is only allowing me to pick referees in the institution that I'm applying to; anybody know how to allow it to pick from other HEAs?

I clicked a button saying add referee. Let me put in all the details.
    Maybe one of them has to be an academic referee?

• Advertisement

Neither of my referees are from my institution so you must be doing something wrong. Are you definitely in the add referee page? You should just be able to type in info for them.

Leighn wrote: »
    How do the categorisations work? Which parts have to be chosen from the defined list and which parts can be added that don't have to be on the list? (If at all?)

Anyone have any idea about this? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 47 ringthebells

Blegh - wrapping up a final draft of the proposal and can't help comparing it to my proposal last year. The research has moved on a year and it's definitely a lot stronger than it was last year, I've disseminated, etc, but I don't think it's reflected in the proposal because all the word counts are so low that all you get is a really superficial glance at my research :( oh well - guess we're all in the same boat there.

Blegh - wrapping up a final draft of the proposal and can't help comparing it to my proposal last year. The research has moved on a year and it's definitely a lot stronger than it was last year, I've disseminated, etc, but I don't think it's reflected in the proposal because all the word counts are so low that all you get is a really superficial glance at my research :( oh well - guess we're all in the same boat there.

Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 47 ringthebells

Good luck!

Thank you - you too of course! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭candle_wax

Submitting it is a real anti-climax! I was expecting a nice set of balloons to greet me on screen afterwards or something....

Anyone have any idea about this? :)

It should be pretty clear in the application form (giving you options where needed). You pick the Primary Area from the drop down list, and then the discipline (if memory serves). Then you can enter in the "other research area" yourself if you want.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36 Eimear811

Has the 'save' button throughout the application disappeared for anyone else? I only have 'next' and 'previous' on every page now. It's really annoying cos I'm nearly ready to submit, just need to sort out one or two typos!

Eimear811 wrote: »
    Has the 'save' button throughout the application disappeared for anyone else? I only have 'next' and 'previous' on every page now. It's really annoying cos I'm nearly ready to submit, just need to sort out one or two typos!

That happened me earlier but if you zoom in and out (Ctrl + / Ctrl - ) it reappeared for me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36 Eimear811

That seems to have worked. You are a star, thank you!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭Jessibelle

Awful last minute question I'm aware, but when it says I can add documents and diagrams as pdfs, does that mean I can add an appendix outlining the technology I want to use, and transcript scans or is it just bibliography/flow charts etc? Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

Jessibelle wrote: »
    Awful last minute question I'm aware, but when it says I can add documents and diagrams as pdfs, does that mean I can add an appendix outlining the technology I want to use, and transcript scans or is it just bibliography/flow charts etc? Thanks.

You don't have to provide transcripts at this point. The only written document you are allowed to to add is a bibliography. I think it says that in the guidelines.

An appendix is not allowed, as far as I know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 934 ✭✭✭OneOfThem Stumbled

Can you include daily travel costs to and from your institution in the financial justification? :confused:

Application submitted! Thank God the system didn't freak out :P Best of luck everybody!

• Registered Users Posts: 4 kittykat1000

Application Submitted :) Good Luck everyone!! "Results of the assessment for this call are provisionally expected in early June 2014!!!!!!!! See everyone back here in June!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭httpete

What do you put in the section - Grade or Grade Point Average: - if you are an undergraduate?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 kittykat1000

httpete wrote: »
    What do you put in the section - Grade or Grade Point Average: - if you are an undergraduate?

I put in my average result/grade from final year..

I would imagine you would put in First or 2:1? Is there nothing in the guidelines?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 235 ✭✭dropping_bombs

Is the site working for everybody? It doesn't seem to be saving changes for me at the moment :O

EDIT: False Alarm. I'm kind of at panic stations, but at least the site's working, albeit very slowly!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭httpete

I put in my average result/grade from final year..

But I am in final year now so all I have is my results from year 1-3.

Should I put in my average for years 1 - 3 as a percentage? My 2nd and 3rd year results are better than my first year results and are are more indicative of my final result for my degree, could I just put in the average of those years?

Or should I put in something like Expect 1.1?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement