Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Research Council 2014/2015

Options

Comments

httpete wrote: »
    But I am in final year now so all I have is my results from year 1-3.

Should I put in my average for years 1 - 3 as a percentage? My 2nd and 3rd year results are better than my first year results and are are more indicative of my final result for my degree, could I just put in the average of those years?

Or should I put in something like Expect 1.1?
    I put in what I expect to achieve overall and then listed my results for the previous years in the additional info box.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Fedwards

Is anyone else unable to access the smartsimple website? I'm just about able to log in and cant access my draft

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭dropping_bombs

Fedwards wrote: »
    Is anyone else unable to access the smartsimple website? I'm just about able to log in and cant access my draft

I can't log in at all. Hopefully it gets working or they extend the deadline. However, I'm not too hopeful about the deadline being extended with all of the warnings to submit in advance!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 480 ✭✭saltyjack silverblade

Having the same login problems. Manage to login but nothing is showing up. Annoying as i only have to click submit. Didn't they have this problem last year and they extended it by a day or so?

Been trying for the last half hour and nothing is happening for me. Has anyone contacted the IRC?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,668 ✭✭✭Mahatma Geansai

I've been unable to log on successfully since 11.30.

Just managed to submit now. I think something might have been fixed. The site just worked all of a sudden at normal pace for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 934 ✭✭✭OneOfThem Stumbled

Proposed research:

How to make public bodies adequately handle moderate levels of server traffic when demand is known in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭nialljf

Maybe try a different browser if you are having problems. Safari stopped working for me, so I switched to Firefox, which worked. Although that might just be a problem with my computer

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Fedwards

From the IRC twitter account:

"NOTICE: Due to outage on the online system, deadline for receipt of applications for the PG Schemes extended to 16.00 GMT Wed 29th Jan (1/2)"

We are working to resolve the issue as a matter of urgency. (2/2)

• Advertisement

Ah balls, just found a typo in my application that my supervisor emailed to me last night but I didn't see. Submitted so no fixing it. I Knew this would happen! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭Victoria.

It's just going blank for me. I haven't been able to edit anything for nearly 2 hours. I'm not writing my application from scratch or anything but it's unreasonable that you can't even read over it and make a few last minute alterations. Even if I wanted to submit it without checking it there's no way because I can't get that far. Sometimes it's letting me sign in and then going blank or just going blank from the outset before even giving me the option to sign in. AHHHHHHHHH!

• Registered Users Posts: 47 ringthebells

Managed to submit around 10am this morning (could not hang onto it any longer) so dodged the system outage. UCC just emailed round a notification of the outage and the deadline extension with supervisor/referee deadlines extended too but advised us to try to get our applications in today in case of further delays.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭Victoria.

Deadline has been extended to 16:00 GMT tomorrow the 29th

• Registered Users Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

It's grand. This happens every year.

Will the supervisors and referees still be receiving their emails today do you think, or is it more likely to be tomorrow because of the deadline extension?

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Leighn

Are there any other sources of funding to apply for, similar to this one and applicable to Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Jaimz30

Good luck to all who submitted an application - only found this thread now - it's an arduous process alright. Does anyone know the amount of postgrad funding awards they give out?

Depends on what discipline your research emanates from Leighn. Your college department/supervisor should be able to help you here as they would most likely know about these opportunities

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭nialljf

Yeah, anybody know of national non-discipline-specific schemes like this elsewhere? There's the UK's AHRC for Humanities, which closed earlier this month. What about other EU countries?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭emuhead

I submitted mine in the early hours of the morning on Tuesday 28th but my referees have received no email as of yet. Does anyone know when the emails go out? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Leighn

nialljf wrote: »
    Yeah, anybody know of national non-discipline-specific schemes like this elsewhere? There's the UK's AHRC for Humanities, which closed earlier this month. What about other EU countries?

I'd like to know this too!

• Registered Users Posts: 15 LegofLamb

Jaimz30 wrote: »
    Good luck to all who submitted an application - only found this thread now - it's an arduous process alright. Does anyone know the amount of postgrad funding awards they give out?

Don't know about postgrad but I have heard some things about Postdoc funding.

POSTDOC FUNDING STATS:

13.6% of postdoc applicants were awarded funding last year (that data is from the FAQs).

That's about 1 in 7.5.

From a humanities perspective I'd say if you have a published your PhD monograph, or have the book contract signed, that puts the odds a little better, maybe 1 in 4. (That is just my feeling on it - no evidence to back this up)

I've also heard that you need 92 points out of 100 to be awarded funding...

It's tough.

LegofLamb wrote: »
    13.6% of postdoc applicants were awarded funding last year (that data is from the FAQs).

That's about 1 in 7.5.

From a humanities perspective I'd say if you have a published your PhD monograph, or have the book contract signed, that puts the odds a little better, maybe 1 in 4. (That is just my feeling on it - no evidence to back this up)

I've also heard that you need 92 points out of 100 to be awarded funding...

It's tough.
    Thanks legoflamb but you're on about POST-DOC here right? Not POST-GRAD? Do you know if there are any official figures for that area of funding success?

Only just submitted my application and already eager to know the success rate of applicants.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 LegofLamb

Jaimz30 wrote: »
    Thanks legoflamb but you're on about POST-DOC here right? Not POST-GRAD? Do you know if there are any official figures for that area of funding success?

Only just submitted my application and already eager to know the success rate of applicants.

Yes that it POSTDOC funding stats.

I will amend to emphasise that!

The IRC people who came to talk in TCD said the success rate for post grad funding is about 1 in 8!

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Yarghhh

The IRC people who came to talk in TCD said the success rate for post grad funding is about 1 in 8!

We got an email last year just before the awards were announced with these statistics for Postgrad applications:

"Over all schemes, a total of 1628 applications were assessed, and for the GOI Postgraduate Scholarship and Department of Foreign Affairs and Andrew Grene Postgraduate Scholarship in Conflict Resolution in particular, 1115 applications were assessed with 254 awards to be made. "

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Yarghhh

And you needed a mark of 83/100. Much less bleak statistics than the postdoc applications

Thanks guys - feeling anxious already!! haha....

• Advertisement

Yarghhh wrote: »
    We got an email last year just before the awards were announced with these statistics for Postgrad applications:

"Over all schemes, a total of 1628 applications were assessed, and for the GOI Postgraduate Scholarship and Department of Foreign Affairs and Andrew Grene Postgraduate Scholarship in Conflict Resolution in particular, 1115 applications were assessed with 254 awards to be made. "

That's 1 in 4 then she was blatantly wrong :P

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement