Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who is the genius that decided to switch on the Christmas lights in Limerick at 3pm i

• 23-11-2013 9:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭

Broad daylight. Ridiculous. You couldn't make it up.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭john_cappa

Oh what harm? Why the out rage?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 76 ✭✭Hawkeye1

yea shur its dark by 4 anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭Marcus Halberstram

john_cappa wrote: »
    Oh what harm? Why the out rage?

I wasn't the only person who thought it was ridiculous. Every other city actually waits until its dark, you know, so you can actually see the bloody effect. I suppose you'd be the type to put on a fireworks display at midday yeah?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Birdie086

They had it on the Friday evening a few times the last few years and that to me is a much better time.

What would make sense to do, is to have it on the Thursday/Friday evening and get all retailers/coffee shops to remain open to 9pm, to display what the city centre had to offer to evening shoppers. This hopefully might actually encourage foot traffic in the evenings. Get some new trade going.

however they chose a time which is already a peak time for foot traffic in the city. Well done city council.

I wasn't the only person who thought it was ridiculous. Every other city actually waits until its dark, you know, so you can actually see the bloody effect. I suppose you'd be the type to put on a fireworks display at midday yeah?

Sounds like you are soul of Xmas to be fair.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭the drifter

XMAS is ruined!!!

i sent back my turkey and all. the kids will be so disappointed. dam you city council.....dam you!!!!!

Yeah sure why do something properly when you can do it ****ing halfarsed.

Maybe Limerick can set an example to cities like London and get them to turn on their christmas lights in the middle of the day too. The crowds will love it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

Rumour going around it was because they didn't want to clash with the rugby game on tv. (Munster playing some bunch of dim-wits from Wales in a game of little importance)

Anyway, look on the bright side, our little country is almost €200 Billion in debt, turning on Christmas lights early is well at the lower end of our problems.;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Birdie086 wrote: »
    They had it on the Friday evening a few times the last few years and that to me is a much better time.

What would make sense to do, is to have it on the Thursday/Friday evening and get all retailers/coffee shops to remain open to 9pm, to display what the city centre had to offer to evening shoppers. This hopefully might actually encourage foot traffic in the evenings. Get some new trade going.

however they chose a time which is already a peak time for foot traffic in the city. Well done city council.

That'd make sense and be a somewhat forward thinking idea, the notion of which isn't allowed in the city council. "Ideas" and "thinking" are to be feared and distrusted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,527 ✭✭✭touts

Broad daylight. Ridiculous. You couldn't make it up.

Would you want to be on O'Connell Street after Dark?

• Advertisement

Les be honest the people complaining about this would be the same people saying "whose idea was it to turn the lights on at 7 in the evening when all the beggars are out and all the shops are closed etc".

Some people love to complain. The OP is a prime example. Look back though his last 30 posts in this forum.

• Site Banned Posts: 99 ✭✭untouchable

wow a lot of very helpful people in this thread.

i for one agree fully with the OP. it was ridiculous "turning the lights on" in the middle of the day. this should have been done in the evening when people arent usually in town. that would bring people in and generate a little more business.

even teh crescent had the "turning on of the lights" in the evening and they are indoors ffs.

all the neigh sayers saying stupid things like "who cares" or sarcastically saying "christmas is cancelled" you should be ashamed of yourselves. its that ignorant attitude that is the reason for lackluster in this city. im not blaming you obviously but i am saying that attitude is infectious and is spread right accross this fine city of ours that seems to hold no self pride. we love to mock this town and give out about everything but why cant we have a little input into how things should be done without being ridiculed by others for being a boy scout.

more people in this city have to get off their lazy arse's and take some pride in their home. go out clean the street on front of your houses. go out and make sure your bins arent just thrown around the front road. have some pride in where you live and stop mocking others for wanting to better their city

all the talk about the volunteer group that are out on patrol these days. if only more limerick people had that willingness to stand up for their city and have that community spirit. but then again maybe the drifter is right maybe we can just be sarcastic and slag off those who actually give a f##k. well done sir well done

• Site Banned Posts: 99 ✭✭untouchable

Les be honest the people complaining about this would be the same people saying "whose idea was it to turn the lights on at 7 in the evening when all the beggars are out and all the shops are closed etc".

Some people love to complain. The OP is a prime example. Look back though his last 30 posts in this forum.

grow up

who cares what the op has said before. the op is correct about this. if you dont like what the op says then move on. youve already had your very intelligent response at the start of the thread. or maybe you feel like you need a couple of more "thanks" to build your self esteem. attacking a thread that you dont seem to care about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭roast

VWr6I.gif

Tempers are flaring. Calm it down there lads.

Anyway.... I reckon it was a slightly idiotic idea for the lights to be switched on in the middle of the day, but with that said, in terms of bringing more activity to the city center, it makes sense.

You are the epitome of the kind of bankrupt intellect that has prevailed on the city council for decades.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Mod Post: Thread closed due to a number of posters being unable to post without sniping.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement