Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Changeover switch?

Options
  • 23-11-2013 9:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,844 ✭✭✭✭

Hi Lads.

Hearing that we are going to have power cuts coming up to xmas, i was wondering....how much to get that changeover switch fitted to the house.

Have my generator for work so it would be handy to get it going for the house.

Any idea of the cost of getting this done?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,844 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Anyone?

The simple solution is to run plug-boards inside.

I think what you're asking for requires tapping near the DB and the meter and installing heavy duty isolators or an uber-expensive inverter to eliminate unsanctioned back generation. Unless you were to start a micro-generation project it's unlikely to be viable.
    You'd need to ensure the work gene. can meet the demand of an entire house too.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,844 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Thanks Liam.

Sounds like a big job tbh. I know my dad has it fitted at home (in the north and out in the country so is used to power cuts).

Gene is small enough, but it was only going to be used to run lights and maybe a ring on the cooker.

I bet you could buy some desk lamps and a set of camping gas hobs cheaper than hiring an electrician.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Pete67

Not that complicated to be honest - you need a decent changeover switch like this one, and an electrician to install it. The switch is around GB£200, plus the labour so you probably looking at 400 to 500 Euro.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭Healy Rae Permit Holder

My electrician just completed the job there for me this morning, it cost 150 plus vat in total including materials, electrician job done in 2 hours, his labour was 50, i can claim the vat back, i had a pony lead already but this would have only cost 30 euro to make up if needed. ESB can do what they like now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭frankmul

Sounds like great value, what did they install for you.

I bought the stuff myself off meteor electrical up the north, my electrician advised me what to get, a change over switch and a wall mounted blue plug, electrician supplied cable to go from tripboard to blue plug and white box casing and other bits, was 55 for change over switch and 10 for plug, handy to claim vat takes the sting out of the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭tomdempsey200

i'm not sure what earthing system the portable gennys use

floating earth or 115-0-115 but either way afaik there's hazards when you hook them up

and they're supposed to be converted to tn-s with an rcd and rod afaik

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭ptogher14

Be careful with the work genny. You'd really want a true sine wave genny

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭tomdempsey200

i think that's most of the issues

waveform and voltage regulation and earthing and fault-disconnection ..

they're called 'portable' generators for a reason..

Im worried now about the generator i have, is it dangerous to use to power the house? i tried contacting my electrician who did the job for me but being the weekend he is unavailable, i used the generator for an hour this morning and it ran the house spot on, tv boiled the kettle and shower normal usage and had no problem, i wont use it any more now till i get piece of mind and if i need to do more work to get this safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭ptogher14

I'd be worrying bout it spiking or surging. Ever notice if your drilling using power from genny how a drill will sorta rev up as your genny runs out of juice. Not great for electronic equipment

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

You'd want a beast of a genny or an inverter one for sensitive electronic stuff

http://powerequipment.honda.com/generators/inverter-generator-advantages

Depends on the electronic equipment and the level of the spike, most of them use step down switch mode DC regulators anyways. You could wire a bell to a fuel float. Desktop computers will be susceptible alright, laptops not so much. Surge protection plug-board or UPS would be prudent anyways.
    I'm more of a fan of traction batteries and a selection of inverters myself.

Don't exceed the power consumption inside the house with the gene. kVA rating or you'll make short work of the gene.

Mine is a tow behind generator, its big, it has a long run time, what is a wire to a fuel float?

Something I just thought of, a normally open limit switch on the tank sender or float that closes when the fuel is low say 25% sounding an alarm.

I suppose you could use a magnetic sensor on the fuel needle if you already have a gauge. That's very complicated though and would require a micro processor not to mention a robust gauge.

[Edit: you could alternatively salvage a gauge and sender with a low fuel indicator from a vehicle and use the light to relay the alarm.]

I always check that is has enough fuel, it has over 12 hours on full tank, what are traction batteries i dont mind investing money to keep power to the house, need power for the pump for heating, has my electrician made a hazzard in my home?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement