Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ryanair Voucher as a gift? Are they worth it??

Options
  • 23-11-2013 11:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭

Hi All

My wife wants to give her niece €100 of Ryanair vouchers for Xmas as she knows that the niece wants to visit her best friend in Scotland in new year.

I am not for it ...am sure that there is a host of T&C's that will just make the drawdown of same at time of travel to be a hassle. Like

1. Unused part of voucher is 'lost'...do for a €75 -it is best to buy 4 x €25 rather than 1 x €100.
    2. However - there is a €6 fee to use same - so using 3 x €25 on a €75 fare will lose €18 on voucher so only €57 goes to fare....am I right on this???

Now this is not a Ryanair bashing thread... just wondering if someone can convince me that I am wrong in my assumptions that there are not a worthwhile gift.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Thegalwayman

Vouchers are a nightmare at the best of times. She'd prefer 100 of hard cash.

Only reason to by ryanair vouchers if a flight is coming to say 48euro and buy 50euro to save on transaction charges although when you book with voucher they take ages to confirm your booking leading to stress that you've missed the deal.

CASH is king

• Registered Users Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭GrumPy

It seems when you pay, it sends a confo email immediately to the gift recipient. Pretty crap if you want to buy it as a Christmas present.

Anyone any insight into the ebst way of getting "value" out of the vouchers? I'm concerned like OP....

Want to buy €100, but it seems better to buy in parts (€25 x 4) but charges seem to feck up that option too?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

I looked into this as bonuses for work - lots of people working away from
    Home & a young crowd etc - feedback was very bad. I heard that you have to ring a line at premium rates to use them & that yiu could never get through & they were a Major hassle to be able to cash in/ use. I'm a major fan of Ryanair with all it's warts but the responses were so overwhelmingly negative that I decided not to do it. But. If you can sill buy those disposable credit cards with pre paid amounts on them this might be a good workaround - then your niece could use it to buy the ticket directly herself online at a time of her choosing ... Not sure if Mr O Leary accepts that form of payment thou now - I'm a bit out of date.

Cool idea for her regardless. You could offer to book a flight for her to Scotland to a max value of x amount either ... An IOU in her stocking she will always remember!! : )

Advertisement