Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PCOS/infertility clinic

Options
  • 23-11-2013 11:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi,

Just looking for some advice in relation to infertility.

I am a frustrated 31 year PCOS sufferer who has been trying to conceive for the past two years with no success at all. I've had PCOS since my teenage years and it seems to be familial. My main symptoms have been acne and irregular periods. I have attended dermatologists, endocrinologists, you name it over the years. I have been on metformin since 2006 and am currently on a dose of 1000mg twice daily. After trying to conceive naturally for a year, I was referred to the PCOS clinic in Tallaght hospital. I found them very caring and knowledgeable there. They did a scan of my ovaries and uterus and all was perfect. After checking my day 21 progesterone levels, they started me on clomiphene citrate 50mg daily for 5 days as it showed no ovulation. My day 21 progesterone levels responded well to clomiphene and a scan showed that the lining of my uterus was at a sufficient level around ovulation. I tried clomiphene for six months but I never had any success with it. The consultant then suggested a laproscopy and ovarian drilling two months ago. I was a bit hesitant about this so she suggested tamoxifen 20mg daily for five days. I don't know if this was the right thing to do at the time but my day 21 progesterone responded even better to this. However, again no luck. I just had another appointment and my consultant is leaving:( She suggested moving on to a fertility clinic at this stage. She also said that because I have had ovulation success with the medication, there wouldn't be much point of the drilling. I would prefer not to go for a lap/drilling unless required. She will draft a letter for the Sims Clinic for myself and my husband for January.

At this stage, I am getting frustrated. I have lost a stone and a half in the last two years, have a healthy BMI and exercise regularly. My husband has been tested and all is fine. It's just so annoying not knowing what is going on, especially when the drugs worked with ovulation. We haven't told many people about our trouble conceiving as it's such a sensitive subject.

Just wondering if any other PCOS sufferers have had a similar story and have any tips? My healthcare plan will allow 1000euro towards SIMS/Merrion/Clane. From what I can see on the internet, SIMS seems to be the most progressive. Is that the case? Any PCOS sufferer have any success with this clinic?

Thanks so much for your time:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭Synyster Shadow

I wasn't with that clinic but had success on Clomid once and I got pregnant naturally 2 and half months after my son was born. I have PCOS and average weight all I did to change things was walking and eating well also I done a temp chart and I swear by it once you see a spike in your temp then ovulation has occurred. It was my 3rd month of temping with Clomid and it worked as I got to know when to watch for the spike and timed things to that. But I was always told even someone not having any issues with fertility have a 25% chance of getting pregnant when timed right and it works that way for everyone. It's great that you respond to the treatment and you ovulate on them that's half the battle.

Best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 2 cappucino

Thanks for the reply. Yea I have tried ovulation kits and I find them very handy. I know, the chance of falling pregnant are quite low, even for a healthy couple. But good to hear a positive story. How long were you trying and what age roughly were you when you fell pregnant? I am also eating very healthily and running five times a week so hopefully all this is helping.

Thanks a mil

• Registered Users Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭Synyster Shadow

Well with taking your temp every morning it cant really go too wrong and its defo what I believe helped us..
    I had just gotten married 6 weeks before I fell pregnant then someone I grew up with was killed and I wasn't thinking about babies at all. We did 3 clomid cycles and worked third time. I was 24 when I fell pregnant and had him just before my 25th birthday and this one will be here just before my 26th.

It is true everyone finds something different worked for them but been busy with other things and distractions helped along with my temp

Advertisement