Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why is my eircom broadband so rubbish???

Options
  • 23-11-2013 11:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭

I'm a long time customer, recently signed up for 12 month bundle following an eircom call offering discount for 6 months. Paying for up to 8mb but currently getting about 1.6mb. Speed has dropped to this 3 times in the last eight weeks. Each time tech support puts it back up again to 4.8mb saying my line will only support 5mb. Last time only up to 2.6 and tech support say my line will only support 3mb! Sick of the messing and wasted time. Stating 'up to 8mb' is misrepresentation but eircom want €300+ to cancel contract. I'm not the one who sold a rubbish broadband service.
     Decided only option was upgrade to efibre (and risk more rubbish service for 18 months). Rang this morning and was told they were too busy and to call back on Monday! Too busy, call back on Monday.
    No wonder this country is going down the drains - it's not just the banks and the politicians.
    So eircom reps,
    1) Why are you delivering me such a rubbish service and expecting me to pay full whack for it?
    2) Why should I pay you €300 to cancel your deficient service?
    3) If I have no option but to use efibre (yes my area is enabled) how long will it take to install? Please, no porkies.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 360 ✭✭Bactidiaryl

I'm a long time customer, recently signed up for 12 month bundle following an eircom call offering discount for 6 months. Paying for up to 8mb but currently getting about 1.6mb. Speed has dropped to this 3 times in the last eight weeks. Each time tech support puts it back up again to 4.8mb saying my line will only support 5mb. Last time only up to 2.6 and tech support say my line will only support 3mb! Sick of the messing and wasted time. Stating 'up to 8mb' is misrepresentation but eircom want €300+ to cancel contract. I'm not the one who sold a rubbish broadband service.
     Decided only option was upgrade to efibre (and risk more rubbish service for 18 months). Rang this morning and was told they were too busy and to call back on Monday! Too busy, call back on Monday.
    No wonder this country is going down the drains - it's not just the banks and the politicians.
    So eircom reps,
    1) Why are you delivering me such a rubbish service and expecting me to pay full whack for it?
    2) Why should I pay you €300 to cancel your deficient service?
    3) If I have no option but to use efibre (yes my area is enabled) how long will it take to install? Please, no porkies.

Efibre rocks.

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭mister gullible

just ordered efibre, better be good.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭eircom: Alan

just ordered efibre, better be good.....
    Hi mister gullible

Glad to see you have went with efibre :)

let me know if you have any further queries with this.

Thanks

Al

Well, eFibre is pretty good and was installed within the time promised - HOWEVER - Eircom advertise 'up to 50mb' but the local infrastructure can only support 12mb maximum. Therefore they cannot supply 50mb under any circumstances. This will not improve until the infrastructure is upgraded again some time in the distant future. So basically Eircom have MIS-SOLD me another product!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭gerryk

Well, eFibre is pretty good and was installed within the time promised - HOWEVER - Eircom advertise 'up to 50mb' but the local infrastructure can only support 12mb maximum. Therefore they cannot supply 50mb under any circumstances. This will not improve until the infrastructure is upgraded again some time in the distant future. So basically Eircom have MIS-SOLD me another product!!!
    To be fair, they can hardly do personalised offers, so 'up to' is a best effort. 

• Advertisement

point is, no-one in my area can get more than 'up to' 12mb. It's just not technically possible. That's a long way short of 'up to' 50mb as advertised and sold to us.
    My broadband is no longer 'rubbish' - it's good now, just not what was advertised.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭clohamon

gerryk wrote: »
    To be fair, they can hardly do personalised offers, so 'up to' is a best effort. 
    What, in your view, constitutes a 'best effort'.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭gerryk

By 'best effort' I meant best effort in describing connection speed. They can hardly be expected to create a special plan for each possible maximum download speed. The alternative would be to just not offer broadband to anyone whose connection speed was X% away from the 'up to' speed. Would this be better? I think not.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭clohamon

gerryk wrote: »
    By 'best effort' I meant best effort in describing connection speed. They can hardly be expected to create a special plan for each possible maximum download speed. The alternative would be to just not offer broadband to anyone whose connection speed was X% away from the 'up to' speed. Would this be better? I think not.
    'Up to', 'peak', 'average peak', 'theoretical' are all misleading. The ASAI code requires that busy hour speeds, i.e. actual speeds during the busiest hour of the busiest day, be quoted along with 'up to' speeds in the body of the advertising copy.

'Best effort' is normally taken to mean that the operator must use his best effort to supply the service as advertised. That includes installing new infrastructure if needed. How far that obligation has to go would normally be decided by the regulator in the case of a dispute. That is the case for universal service obligations.

I don't accept the premise of your question. They are entitled to offer a broadband service if they want but they ought to guarantee a minimum speed and make that clear in the marketing, advertising and contract.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭eircom: Alan

Hi mister gullible

The speeds are advised as 'up to' as speeds can depend on the physical distance of the line from the cabinet. I can appreciate why you feel this way however this is why eircom cannot guarantee a specific speed and why 'up to' is used rather than tailor make packages depending on specific circumstance. 

Should you wish to lodge a complaint on the terms that you feel you were miss-sold this please let me know and I will PM you details on how to lodge an official complaint.

Thanks

Al

• Advertisement

Not going to formally complain on this, just warning other users that they may not get what they expect. By the way, the speed at the cabinet on the road (eircom cabinet) is 12mb.

Advertisement