Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gritters

Options
  • 23-11-2013 11:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭

The Council was out gritting the roads around Greystones tonight

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,928 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Accuweather reckon its 5 degrees, it was much colder earlier in the week...

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭FirstIn

More waste. Do it when it needs it.

I've access to a temp sensor logging all the time. I've seen the gritter a few times and checked the temp the next morning. 4-5 degrees though the night.

Just think, it's probably a nice few bob for the guys working at that time.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

Damned if they do.... Damned if they don't :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

loyatemu wrote: »
    Accuweather reckon its 5 degrees, it was much colder earlier in the week...

That's a US based firm with no weather stations in this country.

Download the Met Éireann app for proper weather reports for Ireland.
    FirstIn wrote: »
    More waste. Do it when it needs it.

I've access to a temp sensor logging all the time. I've seen the gritter a few times and checked the temp the next morning. 4-5 degrees though the night.

Just think, it's probably a nice few bob for the guys working at that time.

And if they where caught off guard or there was a sudden change you would be one of the first here to slate them.

Some people are not happy unless there's something to moan about.
    pixbyjohn wrote: »
    Damned if they do.... Damned if they don't :rolleyes:

Well said!

DD9090 wrote: »
    That's a US based firm with no weather stations in this country.

Download the Met Éireann app for proper weather reports for Ireland.

And if they where caught off guard or there was a sudden change you would be one of the first here to slate them.

Some people are not happy unless there's something to moan about.

Well said!
    Rubbish. They should predicate their decision to grit on the met eireann forecast.
    If that is wrong they then have a very plausible explanation for why they didn't grit. Simple.

We've paying for this gritting. Also the very high salt content of the grit destroys brake lines etc under your car. Expensive to put right.

Talk to any mechanic that has worked on a UK import car.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27 Peehadc

This weather station is based in Ashford, so it's pretty close to what Greystones could get. It's my daily reference.

http://www.wicklowweather.com

The road out of Charlesland (including the roundabouts) was unbelievable this morning. Right the way to the N11. Sheet ice.

I wonder did they grit last night. Perhaps it was too cold for them to go out!

Agree, had to detour off N11 this morning to get home from work as crash at glen of the downs (09.30 ish) had blocked both lanes south. Came down hill into Delaney at Romany stone and into charlesland via the mill road. All roundabouts into CL very slippy to say the least. 0 degrees at that point with hard frost. All puddles solid, not trace of grit as frost visible on road. Ban on overtime again? Their off Monday too cos of bank holiday for public servents so let's hope the temp rises on Sunday with the next incoming storm.

All joking aside, and it's no joke when someone prangs their car.

How could we find out if they gritted? Who is answerable if they didn't. I saw them gritting numerous times when it was well above zero. It was forecast to be freezing last night so I'd be really p*ssed off if they didn't grit.

FirstIn wrote: »
    All joking aside, and it's no joke when someone prangs their car.

How could we find out if they gritted? Who is answerable if they didn't. I saw them gritting numerous times when it was well above zero. It was forecast to be freezing last night so I'd be really p*ssed off if they didn't grit.

There was a "chance" of freezing conditions last night, just like the other times they gritted with no ice.
    The freezing didn't start until late morning due to overnight cloud.

Weather in Ireland is extremely difficult to forecast with pinpoint accuracy, especially when we have deep low pressure systems queuing up in the Atlantic with our names on them.

• Advertisement

Wind went to nothing at 3am where I was and then it really got cold. The joys of night shifts...
    It looks like the local authorities gambled and lost. Hopefully nobody was hurt as a result of the glen of the downs incident. Cars can always be replaced, people can not.
    Safe winter driving y'all.

Peehadc wrote: »
    Wind went to nothing at 3am where I was and then it really got cold. The joys of night shifts...
    It looks like the local authorities gambled and lost. Hopefully nobody was hurt as a result of the glen of the downs incident. Cars can always be replaced, people can not.
    Safe winter driving y'all.

On balance, when they gamble the other way and grit the roads as a precaution and we get no ice, we have people declaring a waste of money and that heads should roll.

They are in a lose-lose situation.

DD9090 wrote: »
    On balance, when they gamble the other way and grit the roads as a precaution and we get no ice, we have people declaring a waste of money and that heads should roll.

They are in a lose-lose situation.

Tru dat, tru dat.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭d31b0y

The roads in Bray were gritted on Saturday morning (at least, definitely on the boghall road). I'm surprised that if they gritted in Bray, they didn't grit in Greystones. They all get the same warnings surely?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,663 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

What Bray Town Council do and what Greystones Town Council do can be slightly different. :)

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

astrofluff wrote: »
    What Bray Town Council do and what Greystones Town Council do can be slightly different. :)
    I thought it all fell under Wicklow CC?

There's a map on their website (admittedly for 2011/2012) that shows what roads are covered by the gritters. It's difficult to see exactly what minor roads are covered, as the map is only a raster image and doesn't zoom well, but it looks reasonably complete. Roads within estates generally speaking aren't covered, just access routes.

http://www.wicklow.ie/Apps/WicklowBeta/RoadsTransInfrast/Road%20Gritting%20Programme%202011,2012.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Zoo4m8

The road from Rathnew to Rathdrum was lethal on Sat morning, in a 4x4 complete with trailer I went under Glenealy bridge sideways to be stopped by the grass verge on the far side... Sort of gets your attention!
    Another person some way behind me travelling to the same event I was going to wasn't so lucky, the driver in front of him lost control at the bridge and in trying to avoid her he lost control and tboned her, no one hurt but large repair bills looming...
    We all were driving slowly but having grown used to roads being gritted it was quite alarming to find a road so dangerous .

• Registered Users Posts: 9,442 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Alun wrote: »
    I thought it all fell under Wicklow CC?
    Bray has it's own gritting trucks, on their own routes, even if Wicklow CC has overall responsibility (I've no idea whether they do or not) - on the R755 Kilmac to Glendalough road the respective gritters from Bray and Wicklow turn and go back whichever way they've come from in one of the side roads - so you can go from gritted road to ungritted road just passing that point!

Advertisement