Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom internet is only working during specific hours

• 24-11-2013 1:23am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 704 ✭✭✭

Hello

So I'm having a problem with my Eircom broadband... It's only working during the evening/early morning. Any other time, there is just one solitary light on the right hand side of the router (silver netopia one). Do any of you know what the problem could be?

Starts working completely fine at around 8pm, but then once it's 9am in the morning it's useless and won't work for anything. I rang Eircom up and they're telling me it's a problem with the router and that it's "intermittent" but to me, this problem seems far too specific to be such a coincidental "intermittent" problem. Could my router really be the cause of this problem? That it just suddenly doesn't want to work during very specific hours?

This problem has persisted for the past four days now and it's starting to get a little grinding.

Thanks for reading.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 704 ✭✭✭LukeS_

Here are the line stats (I think)
    Downstream Upstream
    Max Allowed Speed (kbps) 6144 512
    SN Margin (dB) 7.50 23.00
    Line Attenuation (dB) 37.50 23.00
    CRC Errors 3031 2

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

It could be your modem, just coincidentally going during the day. Try a different modem (borrow a friends), and if you're still having problems log a fault with eircom.

Let us know how you get on.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 johnny19w

I am with Magnet, their services run through eircom line and I have the same problem. Hours of the service being extremely slow (ping: 420, DL: 125kB/s, UP:260kB/s - from normal ping:34, dl:4376kB/s, up:1190kB/s), are different though (6PM - 12/1AM).
    I managed to find out that they are working to resolve this problem as a lot of people had reported it. So far they do not know what causes it.
    Beyond annoying...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

All the signs of backhaul issues.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

If your modem connects to the exchange at a constant speed but your internet access is going slow / stopping it's most likely insufficient backhaul from the exchange to the national network.

Personally, I would demand a refund.

Check your modem settings too though and also check to see if you've a wired connection on the Ethernet port.

Sometimes we had our WiFi wiped out by an inconsiderate neighbour using a digisender on his TV..

• Advertisement

SpaceTime wrote: »

I kind of followed your advice. Rang my provider and asked about refunds or credit, the answer I got was that the management will decide when the issue is resolved. They were unable to tell me when, as investigation is ongoing...
    Most helpful CS, as always...

Also, I checked all router settings etc, everything seems to be ok. How would digisender interfere with protected by WPA wifi network that you use to connect with all of your devices?
    Anyways, all we can do is wait...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Sounds like some equipment is overheating when the sun hits it, otherwise it makes no sense.

If your modem connects to the exchange at a constant speed but your internet access is going slow / stopping it's most likely insufficient backhaul from the exchange to the national network.

Yep, different problem entirely.
    johnny19w wrote: »
    How would digisender interfere with protected by WPA wifi network that you use to connect with all of your devices?

Wifi is a half duplex shared connection. A high bandwidth device with a very strong signal which only sends like a TV sender, can drown out all other devices. You could try identify which channels it was using and avoid them if possible.

Check your modem settings too though and also check to see if you've a wired connection on the Ethernet port.

Sometimes we had our WiFi wiped out by an inconsiderate neighbour using a digisender on his TV..

What do you mean by my modem connecting to the exchange? When the internet is out, neither the DSL or internet come on. When the internet does finally come back on in the evening (around 8pm last night it started working again flawlessly), the speed seems to be fine.
    The DSL seems to be slightly improved today, but it's still going down every 15 minutes or so.

We do have an ethernet port connected to it, and these are the stats right now (computer connected to the modem via ethernet is turned off):
    In Good Frames 6552
    In Packets 6552
    In Unicast Frames 6
    In Multicast Frames 2102
    In Discard Frames 0

Out Good Frames 0
    Out Packets 0
    Out Unicast Frames 0
    Out Multicast Frames 0
    Out Discard Frames 0

In=Downstream
    Out=Upstream

I got onto Eircom, they said they're sending out a new router (was supposed to be here today, but nothing) as they think it's a router problem, so I'll wait for that to come before I get back in contact with them again.

Do you guys reckon I might be able to cancel the contract with Eircom if this problem persists?

Here are the stats when it's down:
    Ethernet wrote:

In Good Frames 1056
    In Packets 1056
    In Unicast Frames 0
    In Multicast Frames 203
    In Discard Frames 0

Out Good Frames 0
    Out Packets 0
    Out Unicast Frames 0
    Out Multicast Frames 0
    Out Discard Frames 0
    DSL wrote:
    Downstream Upstream
    Max Allowed Speed (kbps) 6144 512
    SN Margin (dB) 0.50 0.00
    Line Attenuation (dB) 85.00 0.00
    CRC Errors 0 0

BTW I have just received the new router (ZyXel), but can't access my router through http://192.168.1.254/, does anybody know why this could be? It is definitely the default IP of the new router as I've changed the key, but now after I've done that it doesn't want to open.

LukeS_ wrote: »
    Do you guys reckon I might be able to cancel the contract with Eircom if this problem persists?

I know I will, as they are unable to provide stable connection.
    LukeS_ wrote: »

BTW I have just received the new router (ZyXel), but can't access my router through http://192.168.1.254/
    try:
    192.168.1.1 , 192.168.0.1
    or:

Please, let us know how did you get on...

• Advertisement

johnny19w wrote: »
    I know I will, as they are unable to provide stable connection.

try:
    192.168.1.1 , 192.168.0.1
    or:

Please, let us know how did you get on...

The router just needed a reset, 192.168.1.254 is still the default IP.

Having no problems with the new router so far. Really weird how the router would only work between certain hours, has a mind of its own. Going to use the old router to set up a bridge now, if I find out how to do it.

Advertisement