Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Starting off Homebrewing..

Options
  • 24-11-2013 3:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭

Hi folks,

Been toying with the idea of this for a while but am really getting a keen interest in homebrewing, especially over the last few weeks. (Am quite impressed with the stuff lads on Boards are up to, which has me quite keen to get started) Planning on getting a starter kit for Xmas, GF has kindly offered! I'm looking for a good starter kit to go for that will give me a fair bit of equipment so when I move on the more advanced Homebrewing techniques, I'll have a lot of the fundamental equipment ready to go. (IE all I'll need to do is but a pot here or a keg there ;) )

I found a very good kit here: http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/deluxe-brewing-starter-kit.html ( with the plastic see through carboys) Although it would seem there is no international shipping with this crowd. I know all the equipment listed here isn't absolutely necessary but as I mentioned I'm looking for a good starter kit.

I've checked the like of Homebrew.ie, HBCompany.ie and HBwest for a similar kit but the ones I've found usually are missing something like a bottle capper, second fermenter/bottling bucket etc.

Does anybody know of any good websites that deliver to Ireland where I could get a similar kit, or know of any shops in Ireland even- what I'm keen on getting is:

Primary Fermentor with a Fermometer, Bung, Airlock and Blowoff Assembly
    Secondary Fermentor, Fermometer, Bung, Airlock (See- through plastic carboys or glass carboys if possible)
    Bottling Bucket, Bottling Spigot, Bottle Filler, Bottling Tubing
    Auto-Siphon, Siphon Tubing
    Beer Bottle Brush
    Bottle Capper & Caps
    Cleaner & Sanitizer
    Hydrometer

I'll be starting off by kit brewing and if I hit the ground running with a couple of those, I'll be going straight into extract brewing (keeping it simple of course) so the extra's will come in handy.

Sorry for the long post but if anyone knows where I can get decent starter kit within the €150 range off hand would be great!

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

I doubt you'll get a better deal than the Irish sites, adding the extra bits you need separately.

For a cleaner, a lot of people swear by the oxiclean you get in Lidl (I think). I don't use any cleaner other than hot water myself. You can make your own non-rinse sanitiser from thin bleach and vinegar.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭MrGee

I bought a starter beer kit from 'my beer and wine' ( irish online shop).
    Good value and have just bottled my first batch of stout.
    There is plenty more sites, just google home brew ireland and theyll all pop up.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Ratsathome

Hingo wrote: »
    anyone knows where I can get decent starter kit within the €150 range off hand would be great!
    You can have a look at this site http://www.thehomebrewcompany.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭Hingo

cheers folks,

Yea I'm getting mosta the stuff from HBC, have a starter kit picked out and a few extra bits n pieces. looking forward to getting going now!

• Registered Users Posts: 7 acott

I bought a starter wine kit from HBC. Everything was bang on, delivery was quick and tracked, I can fully recommend them. Homebrew.ie is also a great site, got some stuff from them recently, quick delivery and good advice through email.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭donacarney

Hi, could anyone tell me how much suger I would need to put into an old empty bottle of bud think ter 330 mls, before I put my coopers larger brew into them, also will standered suger be ok?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Standard sugar is fine. I'd go for a bit under half a level teaspoon per bottle.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭donacarney

Brilliant thanks, :)

Advertisement