Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Thinking of trying stronglifts..

• 24-11-2013 4:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭

Hey I'm thinking of trying the stronglifts 5x5 programme..

My only concern is I don't know if I'll be able to keep away from exercises such as curls, side laterals, flys etc..

Was anyone whos tried the programme ever the same? Like was there temptation there or do you feel good enough from doing the workout?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,658 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I'm thinking of trying the stronglifts 5x5 programme..
    Why?
    My only concern is I don't know if I'll be able to keep away from exercises such as curls, side laterals, flys etc..
    Why?

I'm a huge believer in understanding what you are doing in the gym. There should be a reason for everything you do in the gym, and more importantly you should know what that reason is. Aimless doing "stuff" is pointless.
    If you can figure out your reasons Why above. It should help you understand your goals and how to get there.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭LifesaverNiall

Well im in college at the moment. I'd consider myself generally fit, I swim, play waterpolo and go to the gym with a buddy of mine..
    I've never really had a set programme.. Just kinda been doing the same exercises for different body parts.. so we'll have like a back and bis day, a leg day etc..
    Basically I feel like I've plateaued and would like a new programme to do in the gym.

I have two jobs at the moment along with college work so the fact that its just 3 sessions a week suits me time wise.

And I'd generally like to get stronger, especially my legs, they're my weak point..

I was generally looking for feedback from anyone who has tried the workout and what they thought of it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,658 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

And I'd generally like to get stronger, especially my legs, they're my weak point..

I was generally looking for feedback from anyone who has tried the workout and what they thought of it?
    That's a good reason to do StrongLifts, or StartingStrength, or WS4SB.
    You will get stronger, especially your legs. In terms of your goals, any of the above three will satisfy you.

But that doesn't help with your second question.
    I don't know if I'll be able to keep away from exercises such as curls, side laterals, flys etc..

Whjy do you think you'll struggle to stay away from curls, etc?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭thegreatiam

Mellor wrote: »
    I'm a huge believer in understanding what you are doing in the gym. There should be a reason for everything you do in the gym, and more importantly you should know what that reason is. Aimless doing "stuff" is pointless.
    If you can figure out your reasons Why above. It should help you understand your goals and how to get there.

This +1. Get your goal and work back to find the program.

Most do it the other way around.

AS far as SL and SS programs go you start off light and at the beginning you're completed in 30-45 minutes. SO you get bored. and think.

Most people start thinking that they are not doing much arm stuff so they'll just add in some curls, then they are adding in pull ups etc.

They fail to notice that very quickly youre adding a lot of weight to the bar, your hitting weights every session that are higher than anything you've lifted before and soon your 35 minute workout is an hour and your exhausted.

If you're doing additional work on top then you tire your self out too fast.

Take the advice from the starting strength book, and stick with the program as its written.

You can read the starting strength wiki (strong lifts and SS are variations on a theme so the advice applies for both programs)
    http://startingstrength.wikia.com/wiki/FAQ:The_Program

TLDR, give it a few weeks on SL. Wait until youre lifting heavier then think about adding stuff. You may think different by then,.

Started today,
    Like i thought the bench press and bent over rows were fine.. the squats had my legs tired by the end of the 5 sets though!

In relation to why I'd feel the need to do additional exercises, I'm not too sure, from just looking at the workout I thought it wouldn't be enough.

But like you said once the weight increases I'm sure I'll be a lot more tired.

Had the workout done in a little over a half hour.. That was with 2 warmup sets for each exercise!

Excited to try the second workout on wednesday now!

Thanks!

• Advertisement

The problem most people think is "only 3 exercises, that cant be enough."

only body builders need to hit 15 exercises for each body part.

SL and SS are strength programs. They rely on compound exercises. SO each exercise is hitting multiple muscles.

The squat, for example is a quad exercise. but done right also works your hamsstrings, hips, low and upper back, shoulders, abs, almost your full body.

If you realise that you're getting almost a full body workout with those exercises then you wont want to add more work in.

the most common criticism of these 2 programs is that they are all leg and you finish looking like a t-rex, with massive thighs but no arms.

But remember you are working you arms with the bench, row and overhead press.

This complaint is most often voiced by people who want to get big arms and chest. As mellor points out that is simply people not choosing a program for their goals.

Strong lifts is a program to make you stronger. Sure you will put on some mass, but that is not the focus.
    If you want to get "swole" then there are other programs for that.

However, you can add in other assistance works after a few weeks of SL, such as curls, calf raises, GHR, lat PD ot pull ups, dips etc. But I would wait at least until you are squatting your body weight. SL gets real hard when you are squatting your body weight 3 times a week.

I started and was doing the workout in 30 minutes or so, takes me over an hour now. Most of that time is spent squatting.
    Dont forget that as you get bigger weight you need more warm up.

eg, my work weight will be around 115kgs
    so my squats including warm ups are like:
    bar x 8
    40 x5
    80 x5
    95 x 3
    105 x 3
    115 x5

If you do add assistance exercises, make sure that you do them after all of the SL exercises and they they are light in comparison. Or you will mess with your recovery too much and feel like crap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭generic2012

Do as much as you can but be FULLY recovered by the next time you hit those same muscles. It's the most efficient way to gain muscle and strength. Cater your workout to this. It's the biggest factor in the difference between beginner/intermediate/advanced routines as well as enhanced and non-enhanced training programs. It's also highly individual and can be increased over time. If you can do 3 sets of 8 bicep curls (or any exercise) and hit them again with the same weight and reps in two days later, go for it. If you can do 5 sets and do the same or more two days later even better. It's the key to optimal progression. Do as much as you can do without hindering recovery. Doing 'too much' is only an issue when it affects recovery. Unlike most other times when people use the 'do what's best for you/it's different for everyone' generic answer, it actually is the case in this scenario.

If two people are doing stronglifts, each one is fully recovered for each session and increases their weights as prescribed but one of them does and extra 8 sets per workout, who's gonna have the better results?

Thanks for the advice guys!
    My legs were still sore today from doing the squats on monday, which just sows how weak my legs really are, so I'm going to do my second workout tomorrow, hopefully fully recovered!

Thanks again!

Thanks for the advice guys!
    My legs were still sore today from doing the squats on monday, which just sows how weak my legs really are, so I'm going to do my second workout tomorrow, hopefully fully recovered!

Thanks again!

thats not weakness, thats doms.

doms is a normal part of getting back into exercise. if you dont use a muscle for a while then it gets a workout its sore for 2 days.

Just work past it. the key is movement, the next day keep flexing the sore muscles, massage, foam roll and do some squats with no weight.

It wont really go anywhere but you minimise it.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭royster999

Gonna start this workout but have one question:
    each set has the same weight per workout?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,670 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

royster999 wrote: »
    Gonna start this workout but have one question:
    each set has the same weight per workout?

As in is it 5 sets of 5 at the same weight?

If so, yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭royster999

As in is it 5 sets of 5 at the same weight?

If so, yes.

Thanks for clarifiying.

Advertisement