Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Too late to plant onions?

• 24-11-2013 10:26am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,461 ✭✭✭✭

I finally got my onions delivered (ordered them about a month ago) yesterday so planted them in the ground (a set of about 100 red, white and brown) right away.
    I'm about 1.5 km from the coast here so rarely get much frost, in fact still waiting on my first air frost this year despite the recent cold spell.
    I'm hoping that will make it ok to plant so late. The ground didn't seem too wet so I don't think rot should be much of an issue (hopefully)
    Has anyone else experience with planting out onions so late and how did it work out for you?

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

You should be fine, over-wintering onions are very hardy. Youll not get much growth above the soil but the roots will develop and help them get a good start in spring.
    Another thing you could do if it gets late is start them off in modules and then plant them out in the spring.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,461 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Thanks Redser, thats what I was hoping someone would say.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭deandean

You should be grand. After planting, cover the soil in a light mulch, e.g. leaves or the like, that'll keep the frost off them.

Advertisement