Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Support group for adult children with sick parents

• 24-11-2013 12:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

I'm wondering if there are any support groups for adult children of parents with long term illnesses in Dublin? It would be good to meet up with other people to realise I'm not the only one stuck in this situation. My father has Parkinson's and dementia, diagnosed 6 years ago. He's pretty bad at the moment and it seems everything in our family has to revolve around him, his care and his bad moods. I find myself in tears every time I'm home and I just want to make things easier for my mother who is his carer. He can be vicious, which is something he never ever was before he got sick, and he has no interest in anything no matter how hard we try, sometimes I don't even recognise him as someone I ever knew. It's such a solution-less situation. Maybe I need to see a therapist myself to come to terms with things as I feel like I'm constantly grieving for him and it kills me to see him like this. Does anyone else feel themselves in this situation? Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 769 ✭✭✭Frito

Hi OP.

Sorry your family is having such a tough time. If you haven't spoken to your father's GP or consultant about this already, it's definitely worth pursuing. Caring is such an exhausting job anyway, without challenging behaviour in the mix.

I wonder if this might be helpful to you.

http://www.carersireland.com/news_dublin.php

Advertisement