Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mixing rams

Options
  • 24-11-2013 2:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭

Hello lads,

So - I will be taking out me Lleyn lamb ram from the ewes tomorrow. I have 3 other older (bigger) rams already mixed in a field.

Would it be safe to let the Lleyn lamb ram in with them, or could it end badly?

Twould obviously be a lot easier for me to pull out the Lleyn, and throw him in with the rest. But I am a bit concerned that they could fight, and the Leyn is a good bit smaller. So would I be better off just bringing em all in for a day, lock em all up tight in the shed, and then leave em off again after a while.

What ye think? :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

Older rams usually ignore ram lambs and a lleyn would be fairly nimble as regards getting out of an older lads way

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭rancher

Hello lads,

So - I will be taking out me Lleyn lamb ram from the ewes tomorrow. I have 3 other older (bigger) rams already mixed in a field.

Would it be safe to let the Lleyn lamb ram in with them, or could it end badly?

Twould obviously be a lot easier for me to pull out the Lleyn, and throw him in with the rest. But I am a bit concerned that they could fight, and the Leyn is a good bit smaller. So would I be better off just bringing em all in for a day, lock em all up tight in the shed, and then leave em off again after a while.

What ye think? :confused:
    I'd always tighten them up for 24 hrs, I have seen ram lambs hurt when mixing with older rams, there is a small chance they'll fight so why take it

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭jomoloney

rancher wrote: »
    I'd always tighten them up for 24 hrs, I have seen ram lambs hurt when mixing with older rams, there is a small chance they'll fight so why take it

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭AnFeirmeoir

yes, very likely would be ok, but why take the risk. tighten them up in a shed for 2 days then let them out.
    I'd be more worried if the ram lamb was an agressive sort. Most know when they should run but the stronger ones can fancy their chances.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

Id still be slow to put a ram lamb into a shed with older lads as ld be worried he would get caught from the side up against a wall.
    If i had the choice of being in a confined space, or a field with lads twice the size of me who were inclined to to thump me I know where id rather be.

• Advertisement
Advertisement