Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

XBOX One- Voice Commands

• 24-11-2013 2:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15

Anyone else unable to use voice commands with their kinect?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Change to UK

• Registered Users Posts: 15 harry4jmjk

How??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭Bohrio

Change to UK

He means change your console location settings to UK instead of Ireland.

I did it for a while and changed back to Ireland again as I kept getting message saying that my local settings were wrong...

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭ciaran75

if you want to download anything (games, skype etc) from ms store do that while location set to ireland. once everything downloaded go into settings - system - location
    change to UK this will force a reboot.

works great, far better than i thought it would actually, only need to repeat one command say every 15 or 20

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

I tried changing my settings to UK, and none of the voice stuff seemed to work for me. Is there a list of voice commands or something? Do I have to train Kinect to recognise my voice?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Limerick Dude

wes wrote: »
    I tried changing my settings to UK, and none of the voice stuff seemed to work for me. Is there a list of voice commands or something? Do I have to train Kinect to recognise my voice?

Once you change your region to UK in the settings, then the voice commands should work, make sure you have calibrated your Kinect correctly.

Here is a list of voice commands that the Kinect recognises....

http://ie.ign.com/wikis/xbox-one/Xbox_One_Kinect_Voice_Commands

Does anyone know when Microsoft will be releasing an update for voice commands to work with the Irish region. I have an unnerving feeling that something will go wrong for me eventually with my region set as UK :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

Once you change your region to UK in the settings, then the voice commands should work, make sure you have calibrated your Kinect correctly.

Probably not set up correctly. Will run the calibration again.
    Here is a list of voice commands that the Kinect recognises....

http://ie.ign.com/wikis/xbox-one/Xbox_One_Kinect_Voice_Commands

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 skiman

I have contacted Microsoft directly about this issue. They have verified that voice commands will NOT work in Ireland. Let me stress that the person I engaged with in live chat was extremely apologetic. I stressed that the Xbox One was extensively advertised as operating with voice commands and NO inference was made that it would NOT do so in Ireland. I advised their rep that this is a breach of the Sales of Goods Act, as the console does NOT do as advertised. I will make a complaint to the Irish Consumer Agency about the matter. I pity all parents and children who expect this to work on Xmas morning

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

skiman wrote: »
    I have contacted Microsoft directly about this issue. They have verified that voice commands will NOT work in Ireland. Let me stress that the person I engaged with in live chat was extremely apologetic. I stressed that the Xbox One was extensively advertised as operating with voice commands and NO inference was made that it would NOT do so in Ireland. I advised their rep that this is a breach of the Sales of Goods Act, as the console does NOT do as advertised. I will make a complaint to the Irish Consumer Agency about the matter. I pity all parents and children who expect this to work on Xmas morning

Or you could change the location to UK, and it works. I'm pretty sure it was announced that it wouldn't work at launch in Ireland too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,252 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

It still won't work if you're from Donegal according to a friend of mine!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭bush

It's all well and good changing your location to the UK until you go to buy something off the store and it makes it awkward. I'm not sure why it's not enabled in Ireland cos it understands me fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭Nolimits

bush wrote: »
    It's all well and good changing your location to the UK until you go to buy something off the store and it makes it awkward. I'm not sure why it's not enabled in Ireland cos it understands me fine.

If you want to buy something then you change it back, it inconveniences you for about 30 seconds

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,502 ✭✭✭Shred

Yeah we can go and change regions to get voice commands to work but it's still pretty poor that it doesn't work as advertised on launch. My biggest problem is it took a year for voice support to come to Ireland the first time around and we'll probably be left waiting another year again this time. What happened to the development work that was carried to enable Kinect 1 voice support here along with all of the data they would have collected through the voice studio app? It's pretty poor no matter what way you look at it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,330 ✭✭✭niallon

It was announced by Microsoft that Ireland, and certain other territories, wouldn't have voice commands on launch, but that they will be coming in the near future, same way YouTube wasn't available at launch over here.

As has been noted here, voice support took a year for Kinect 1, I can't imagine MS would make the same mistake twice.

MS have not breached any act of any way shape or form, I wouldn't bother hassling the Consumer Agency at a time of year I can imagine they are inundated with notices.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 skiman

Ah its crimbo time, so we won't bother to make Kinect voice command available in Ireland, sure the Consumer Agency will be inundated at this time of year. I've watched the Xbox One ads on TV. NO small print saying NO voice commands, NO announcement about lack of voice commands. Unlike Ronseal the Xbox One doesn't do what it says on the tin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

Ah its crimbo time, so we won't bother to make Kinect voice command available in Ireland, sure the Consumer Agency will be inundated at this time of year. I've watched the Xbox One ads on TV. NO small print saying NO voice commands, NO announcement about lack of voice commands. Unlike Ronseal the Xbox One doesn't do what it says on the tin.

While I get your annoyance, Microsoft had said as far back as September (I believe) that only five territories would have full language support at launch.

So, we could wait until language support is ready for Ireland (next summer if we're lucky) before we get the console or we can play it as it is and have the console at Tier 1 launch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

http://support.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-one/kinect/voice-commands?icid=furl_xboxone-kinect-speech-recognition

they announced the supported countries a LONG time ago. i also dont believe that theyve ever advertised voice control in ireland... have they? because for them to be done for false advertising, they'd have to have explicitly said that it was a feature - which they didn't do

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 267 ✭✭Codpeas

COYVB wrote: »
    http://support.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-one/kinect/voice-commands?icid=furl_xboxone-kinect-speech-recognition

they announced the supported countries a LONG time ago. i also dont believe that theyve ever advertised voice control in ireland... have they? because for them to be done for false advertising, they'd have to have explicitly said that it was a feature - which they didn't do

Any TV advertising that I've seen where the voice commands were being shown was on a UK channel with UK targeted advertising - otherwise I'd be off to the Consumer Agency to complain that I cant get Virgin TV and BB services even though I saw them on the telly... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,106 ✭✭✭dar83

Was just about to say, I bet the Ads being watched were from UK based channels... but why should that get in the way of a good uproar and a call to Joe. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,330 ✭✭✭niallon

If you see ads plugging the voice control on RTE, TG4 or TV3 please upload a clip, I'll happily contact the consumer agency on your behalf.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

Codpeas wrote: »
    Any TV advertising that I've seen where the voice commands were being shown was on a UK channel with UK targeted advertising - otherwise I'd be off to the Consumer Agency to complain that I cant get Virgin TV and BB services even though I saw them on the telly... :rolleyes:

I'm gonna complain about Lexus... nowhere on their ads does it say their cars can't fly. FALSE ADVERTISING!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Messy Celt

I just had a chat with Microsoft support through their web site chat option. I explained the problem and after stating it works in the UK I asked whether or not I could change my region to the UK without being banned. The reply was yes, you can change the region to the UK without fear of getting suspended for doing so.

This works as I tried it at lunch time but keep in mind I am from Dublin and I don't have a very thick accent. Depending on your accent you may have mixed results.

Also worth noting you won't be able to buy anything through the Xbox one store while your xbox one is set to the UK region but it's only a matter of changing it back in the settings and your good to go. Again, I tried this so it works.

It's not ideal but it is a fix that will work until they release the voice control officially in Ireland.

I realise that some of what I have said has already been covered in this thread but better to be thorough

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 199 ✭✭spcw

Messy Celt wrote: »
    but keep in mind I am from Dublin and I don't have a very thick accent.

Typical no life beyond newlands cross ! the only English speakers are real dubs LOL.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,720 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

I've a fairly thick Dublin accent, or so I've been told by the bogland occupiers in work, and it works grand for me most of the time. Certain commands like "turn off" or "unsnap" take a couple of tries with my best southsider impersonation.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭mickredirl

I just bought the Xbox one console today.. I spend 20 minutes trying to setup the voice activation and then discovered that Ireland was excluded from having such options on the Xbox.. Really pissed about this!!!Q

Very annoying!!! There's feck all difference between ourselves and our neighbours across the water in the UK??? My old xbox 360 voice commands work perfectly.... I

Serious oversight on Microsoft part advertising that the xbox one works with voice commands on Irish T.V!!!

As someone above already said, its a breach of contract....serious breach too..

mickredirl wrote: »
    I just bought the Xbox one console today.. I spend 20 minutes trying to setup the voice activation and then discovered that Ireland was excluded from having such options on the Xbox.. Really pissed about this!!!Q

Very annoying!!! There's feck all difference between ourselves and our neighbours across the water in the UK??? My old xbox 360 voice commands work perfectly.... I

Serious oversight on Microsoft part advertising that the xbox one works with voice commands on Irish T.V!!!

As someone above already said, its a breach of contract....serious breach too..

Think Irish voice commands will be put in place in the July update.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Think Irish voice commands will be put in place in the July update.

Not strictly true, what they are doing is allowing you to use the UK/US ones while your region is set to Ireland. Which is fine as I've had no major issues with the UK voice commands.

calex71 wrote: »
    Not strictly true, what they are doing is allowing you to use the UK/US ones while your region is set to Ireland. Which is fine as I've had no major issues with the UK voice commands.

Ah I see.

Yeah well I suppose at the moment with the region set to UK, voice commands work for me about 85% of the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

Ah I see.

Yeah well I suppose at the moment with the region set to UK, voice commands work for me about 85% of the time.
    And after the July Update, it will work about the same for you if you set your region back to Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

I don't get why they delayed Irish voice commands when were still setting it to uk voice commands when its out over here
    shows they done fu*k all with it

Advertisement